Jaguar takeoff and landing configs.?

David Womby

I just want to check I have this right.

Take off - intake side doors open, slats down, flaps/ailerons partially down.

Landing - intake side doors closed, slats down, flaps/ailerons fully down, airbrakes closed?

Thanks

David

25 minutes ago, 71chally said:

Sounds rightish to me, however my landing shots of Jags have the auxiliary air doors open a bit, say a 1/4, also have seen pictures with airbrakes deployed, at least partially.

Thanks.  I forgot.  How about parked - intake side doors closed, slats down, flaps/ailerons up, airbrakes open?

David

G'day,

My understanding of the aux intake doors is that they operate automatically with aerodynamic force and that they are nornally held shut by spring pressure and overcome the spring pressure to supply additional air to the engines at low forward speed.

With the engine(s) operating at start-up, taxi and take-off, the suction inside the intake overcomes the spring pressure (negative pressure reltive to the outside of the intake) and the doors open. As the jet gains speed during take-off, the pressure inside the duct starts to equalise with the outside and the doors shut. The reverse would happen as the jet approaches to land and slows down.  The doors could also open in flight if the jet was executing a slow passs for the camera for example,

cheers,

Pappy. 

Edited by Pappy
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yep - exactly right on the aux doors. Normally  flaps were left down post landing. Part of the start up they'd select up, so by the time we started the see off we were clear to indicate the slats and then flaps had moved to relevant ( combat slat, then full slat and take off flap ) 

Please don't accuse the Jag of having ailerons. Full span flaps with spoilers above the wing, and diff tail at lower speed too

Also when parked normally the main and nose doors would be open - closing them was also part of the see off, oh and the airbrakes too

Edited by JagRigger
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 2

3 hours ago, JagRigger said:

Please don't accuse the Jag of having ailerons. Full span flaps with spoilers above the wing, and diff tail at lower speed 

Thanks for the correction. 

David

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 1 month later...
On 1/9/2023 at 11:00 AM, JagRigger said:

Please don't accuse the Jag of having ailerons. Full span flaps with spoilers above the wing, and diff tail at lower speed too

Just for clarification (as I can't see the stbd wing), at rest, the stbd wing would be in the same configuration as the port?

49097320327_0e05b28037_b.jpg

On 09/01/2023 at 20:13, Ossington 2 said:

Flaps are usually down. By how much seems to vary a little. Saves wear on the bearings apparently.

Just remember to retract the flaps & slats before opening the engine doors.....🤣

XVtonker :pilot: