Spitfire PR.IV - Finished

2 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

I will try and have a Spitfire on the go all the time as a distraction build in the backround .Β Β 

Would one of those be rather large by ant chance? πŸ˜‰

• Haha 3

7 hours ago, Dunny said:

Chris,

Β 

Coming along nicely! That PRU Blue is just the ticket,

Β 

Cheers,

Β 

Roger

Thanks Roger, I have given it another couple of coats since and was not happy with the areas filled under the wings so have slapped some filler on and will now make good and repaint those areas.Β 

Β 

Chris

• Like 1

Merry Christmas everyoneΒ 

Β 

A bit more progress on the Spitfire

I have used the prop from an Airfix Mk1 as the kit one was a tad bent.

Β 

spacer.png

Β 

Paint on and faded slightlyΒ 

spacer.png

Β 

spacer.png

Β 

camera port on fuselage side appears blanked off in one image,Β  I filled around the kit glass woth Rocket odourless CA and then smoothed out as kit one is a bit thick and arch shaped instead of round.

Β 

Thanks for lookingΒ 

Chris

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Winded Penguin said:

Looking really good, and close to the reveal  🀩

Love the pressurised canopy

Thanks WP not much longer to decals now hopefully and the all the bits and bobs and hopefully the canopy replacements should arrive.

Β 

1 hour ago, Dunny said:

Chris,

Β 

Looking good - that paintwork looks lovely!

Β 

Cheers,

Β 

Roger

Thanks Roger, will see how the klear dries off and if all good some decals may be applied.

Β 

1 hour ago, Johnson said:

Yup, paintwork looks a treat.

Thanks Charle i hope it looks good in the morning, I may have to give it a quick rub down with some fine sanding sticks

Β 

53 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

🐺 :whistle: 

Β 

Oh my, that is verrrrry sexy! (Can I say that on BM?)Β Fantastic work, Chris!

Β 

Cheers,

MarkΒ 

Thanks Mark, I do love a PRU blue Spitfire.Β  Β I got another one from the trust too after seeing your mention to someone that they still were for sale, on ebay I saw aΒ  Sword PR.IV for nearly Β£45 which was a bit mad.Β 

Β 

Thanks guys, hope you all had a great ChristmasΒ 

Chris

• Like 5

On 26/12/2022 at 17:39, bigbadbadge said:

Thanks Mark, I do love a PRU blue Spitfire.Β  Β I got another one from the trust too after seeing your mention to someone that they still were for sale, on ebay I saw aΒ  Sword PR.IV for nearly Β£45 which was a bit mad.Β 

Β 

That's probably the one on my Watchlist. And yes, I am just the madman to buy it. Your Spitfire is looking lovely, especially in the PRU Blue!

Β 

Best Regards,

Β 

Jason

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Learstang said:

Β 

That's probably the one on my Watchlist. And yes, I am just the madman to buy it. Your Spitfire is looking lovely, especially in the PRU Blue!

Β 

Best Regards,

Β 

Jason

Hi Jason,

Β 

if you're interested, here's the link to the Spitfire AA810 shopΒ Spitfire PR.IV kitΒ rather than forking out over the odds!

Β 

All the best,

Mark

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Dunny said:

And so you should be - it looks superb!

Thanks Roger, I love it when the decalling starts and seeing it start to come to life.Β Β 

Β 

2 hours ago, Learstang said:

Β 

Β 

Best Regards,

Β 

Jason

Thanks Jason, it's a lovely kit and goes together well with a little fettling. I was shocked when I saw it for that amount but the Cgarity are selling then still at gheir original price which if I recall mine was Β£12.99 so you could get a couple and still have cash left instead of the one on Ebay.

Their site is well worth a visit too.

Β 

32 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

Hi Jason,

Β 

if you're interested, here's the link to the Spitfire AA810 shopΒ Spitfire PR.IV kitΒ rather than forking out over the odds!

Β 

All the best,

Mark

Brilliant thanks Mark for putting in the link.

It will be great if others visit too and get a Spitfire.Β 

Β 

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Looks great Chris, the decals look as though they were painted on. The diluted Klear puddle method seems like a winner, I'm taking notes! Loving the PRU blue paint with very subtle variations. Hope the new canopy turns up soon.

Β 

Richie

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dunny said:

And so you should be - it looks superb!

Me too!

Β 

10 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

the decals have gone down beautifully,Β  using the diluted Klear puddle method

Β 

I've seen this mentioned, they do look great. How does it work?

Β 

Cheers,

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, RichieW said:

Looks great Chris, the decals look as though they were painted on. The diluted Klear puddle method seems like a winner, I'm taking notes! Loving the PRU blue paint with very subtle variations. Hope the new canopy turns up soon.

Β 

Richie

Me too. That tip sounds like it has legsΒ πŸ‘

• Like 4

2 hours ago, RichieW said:

Β 

Richie

Thanks Richie,Β  the decalsbehaved superbly and are very thin.Β  The klear puddle method is a fantastic way of applying the decals and stops silvering see below. Re the canopies, I have just come back home after some errands and a Hannants parcel was on my doorstep,Β  wahoo!!!

Β 

51 minutes ago, Winded Penguin said:

Yep, I agreeΒ 

Thanks WP, very kind, it's a great little kit

Β 

38 minutes ago, Johnson said:

Me too!

Β 

Β 

I've seen this mentioned, they do look great. How does it work?

Β 

Cheers,

Thanks Charlie,Β  very kind too, see below

Β 

31 minutes ago, Winded Penguin said:

Me too. That tip sounds like it has legsΒ πŸ‘

It certainly is very handy.

Β 

The Klear puddle or Future puddle depending where you are on the world is very simple.Β  I first saw it mentioned by @stevehnzΒ and am eternally grateful to him for posting.

Β 

You soak the decal as normal in hot/warm water and tske it out and once it freely moves from the back sheet I apply diluted Klear (floor polish) with a brush to the area that the decal will sit on and then apply the decal directly to the area and get into the correct place, if it starts todry anymore klear overΒ  tge decal and it will move again or eventually be persuaded to move.Β Β 

Once happy witb the position,Β  dab a piece of kitchen towel over the decal then apply dome light pressure.Β  As the klear dries it socks down the decal into the panel lines so no softener is needed, I have used softener after too and it still works too.

Β 

The dilution I used is 60% Klear to 40% water.Β  I have created a separate bottle and this is only small and I have been using for a long time and it is still quite full.

Β 

The beauty of this method it works on nearly Matt finishes and as a brush painter it means I don't need several Klear coats before I apply the decals thus meaning saving Klear and money and it is easier for the mattvarnish at the end too.

Β 

Give it a go, you won't be disappointed.Β 

Hope this helps

Β 

Thanks guys for your kind comments.Β 

Chris

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

Thank you, gentlemen for the info re the Charity and the kit; I have just ordered it! It does save me quite a bit of quid instead of ordering the one from eBay.

Β 

Best Regards,

Β 

Jason

• Like 3

13 minutes ago, Learstang said:

Thank you, gentlemen for the info re the Charity and the kit; I have just ordered it! It does save me quite a bit of quid instead of ordering the one from eBay.

Β 

Best Regards,

Β 

Jason

Brilliant Jason,Β  you'll enjoy it.Β 

Chris

• Like 3

6 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Thanks Richie,Β  the decalsbehaved superbly and are very thin.Β  The klear puddle method is a fantastic way of applying the decals and stops silvering see below. Re the canopies, I have just come back home after some errands and a Hannants parcel was on my doorstep,Β  wahoo!!!

Β 

Thanks WP, very kind, it's a great little kit

Β 

Thanks Charlie,Β  very kind too, see below

Β 

It certainly is very handy.

Β 

The Klear puddle or Future puddle depending where you are on the world is very simple.Β  I first saw it mentioned by @stevehnzΒ and am eternally grateful to him for posting.

Β 

You soak the decal as normal in hot/warm water and tske it out and once it freely moves from the back sheet I apply diluted Klear (floor polish) with a brush to the area that the decal will sit on and then apply the decal directly to the area and get into the correct place, if it starts todry anymore klear overΒ  tge decal and it will move again or eventually be persuaded to move.Β Β 

Once happy witb the position,Β  dab a piece of kitchen towel over the decal then apply dome light pressure.Β  As the klear dries it socks down the decal into the panel lines so no softener is needed, I have used softener after too and it still works too.

Β 

The dilution I used is 60% Klear to 40% water.Β  I have created a separate bottle and this is only small and I have been using for a long time and it is still quite full.

Β 

The beauty of this method it works on nearly Matt finishes and as a brush painter it means I don't need several Klear coats before I apply the decals thus meaning saving Klear and money and it is easier for the mattvarnish at the end too.

Β 

Give it a go, you won't be disappointed.Β 

Hope this helps

Β 

Thanks guys for your kind comments.Β 

Chris

Cracking, thank you for providing the operating instructions ChrisΒ πŸ˜‰

• Like 2

She's looking really splendid Chris,

As always quality work form you.

Β 

1 hour ago, Learstang said:

I have just ordered it!

Β 

1 hour ago, bigbadbadge said:

Brilliant Jason,Β  you'll enjoy it.Β 

I second that emotion or as I've been watching the latest series of Letterkenny.

"Can Confirm"

Β 

Cheers,

Alistair

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Thanks Chris! Very clear instructions - I will be experimenting shortly.

Β 

7 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

The Klear puddle or Future puddle depending where you are on the world

Β 

Strangely enough, the stuff I use (only for canopies so far) is called 'Pledge revive it'. I bought it having done research here on BM for a Klear / Future alternative. The only place I could find it, and it was a year ago at least, was Amazon and it wasn't cheap - but you do get 'a pint'.

Β 

Cheers,

• Like 4