Hi Bill.  I've been lurking less of late so only just catching up.  I've just spent a pleasant evening reading here and, as usual, you're producing a master class as well as interesting builds.

But I have a complaint.   Some of us are still early in our modelling "journey" and are scratting around trying to improve skills so that our models DON'T look as if they've crashed!   And here you are having transcended such early years skills up to a state where you are now deliberately taking a SIHRSC to a perfectly innocent assemblage of plastic!!!   :shrug:   Most of the time some of us apply the SIHRSC to improve things, not create bomb damage!   Good grief man!   What do you think you're playing at?    (goes off muttering into his beard about "what has the world come to ............" )

Seriously, it's brill and I will be watching with interest ......

cheers

Rob

• Haha 8

Now where was I?

Oh yes being flattered way, way above my pay grade, now to get on with this game.

17071500474741393945555744176235.jpg

That becomes

17072377820071729025470178371821.jpg

This

The windscreen frame I separated earlier now needs to get together and celebrate a partial cockpit assembly and the new version nose section will be ready for 'stuff' to happen to it.

The ricocheting bomb that climbed out of the deck hooked off a piece of the front fuselage as well as other collateral damage to the radar housing and frame.

Looks as if the scanner unit might have gone flying, knowing that might help so I am going to try to scare up the Incident report before I finalise anything under there.

The lower starboard fuselage fairing will need making tangled and almost invisible according to this shot

IMG-0709.jpg

Anybody got a good fusewrinkler I can borrow?

Pretty obvious from that the torpedo has no tail (motor?) on it, no wonder they were worried about escaped OTTO fuel.

laters folks

• Like 9

I hope this is OK for you guys so far, if I'm getting it wrong I'd prefer being told whilst the process can be sent in other directions, cheers.

17072379066828432044635228344722.jpg

Now the last couple of days have been used to make upholstery for the crew seating and since the seatbelts from my Airwaves set are now nestling in the seats for the Army Lynx I have to make my own.

Last night I added tasteful pieces of sheepskin over the orange seating pads I carved.

P1010648.jpg

And attached the front 'keep you down on the seat pad' buckle strap combo for both, next will be to add the rear backrest straps and the self tensioning unit behind them.

Mustn't forget the extinguisher and first aid pack either.

Also on this shot the nose changes roughed out for now, before later on I get destructive on the starboard side of the nose and wrinkle and crush the hell out of it to show fast travelling bomb damage before the isolated bits and drabs of structure come into the game.

The front fuselage crossmember there, not  sure it will be good enough to sit there, paint may completely change its appearance so we will see later, that is to be a splash of Tamiya Yellow Green I think but if not I'm going to have to bite the bullet.

We'll choose which bullet at a later date.

P1010650.jpg

Practise run?

Hmm maybe

I had to carve out a broken window on the pilots side door

P1010649.jpg

This shot shows quite well the amount of spare Lynx I have to make that had been bomb crushed, everything in front of the missing lower window to where the radar/nose cone goes needs replicating, but busted to beggary.

Fun huh, maybe don't do this at home children or your language might upset matron and mater...

🤫

Adieu mes amis.

• Like 14

3 hours ago, perdu said:

Last night I added tasteful pieces of sheepskin over the orange seating pads I carved.

Hmmm, well as long as no sheep were harmed in the process ..........!

Looking good Bill, keep going!!

T.

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

Upholstery looking good - and so does the wreckage, so far (to my untrained eye, anyway) :clap:  Continuez, s'il vous plaît  :winkgrin:

Ciao

• Like 3

How does it look now Giorgio

17074101597942053303284406622081.jpg

I bit the 

17074116144126723566995874216765.jpg

Can ye guess which one got bitten?

:) 

The rest of the kit is now being worked on to have extremities handy now, the undercarriage sponsons have just been glued together, ready for tomorrow's morning build sesh.

• Like 9

I'd be tempted to try to reproduce damaged panels with tin foil and give it a coat of thin stupor-goo to hold the shape. I think you'd get a far more realistic "bent panel" look with that. But of course I haven't tried it so may be talking complete "ball locks"...

Ian

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

I have thought about that seriously Ian but in the mean time I'm giving this a whirl

17074966915982319413795807598980.jpg

It is next to impossible to find accurate close in photos available to peruse Ian so I am having to plan for several iterations of this.

Prosecco bottle foil will undoubtedly play a huge part in what comes next.

17074967965581877880553591304648.jpg

It's a start.

• Like 11

10 hours ago, giemme said:

Properly wrecked!

A bit like a weekend in Norwich then ...........:rofl:

1 hour ago, perdu said:

It's a start.

A very good one Bill!

T.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Let me fix this for you, Bill:

16 hours ago, perdu said:

Prosecco will undoubtedly play a huge part in what comes next.

:D

Ciao 

Undoubtedly Giorgio

This way

17075561950699026797403669642705.jpg

I've seen you guys produce miracles with 'wine bottle foil' on models, so I hope my working out gets, I dunno, close to the heights of oeno-platery seen here so often.

The first attempt, that distorted arc at the front was formed around the nose of the 'Army Lynx' but as that is about to return to the bench for ancilliarisation I have decided to make a dedicated forming buck with my five quid spare fuselage which has already sacrificed its rotor head and subsequent bits and bobs and is due, sorry Crisp, to become a paint mule.

17075563665706802797709252418020.jpg

'bye.

• Like 12

Bill, would heavier duty tinfoil (such as a steak pie's nest) be a better medium?  It's a thicker foil and would be less susceptible to damage during handling

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, perdu said:

It's the right idea I think Alan, torn between thinness for scale and thickness for strength

Pie in the Lynx (sky) Bill, it's got to work...

Colin the Wessex nut.

It was quite intense working on the busted nose Lynx but in the background there is still this one

17080116877141082834373931767124.jpg

But problems rear their interesting little heads here too

I own three Airfix Lynx kits, one of which  is the designated repair patch baby since the Army And Navy ones I'm working have been severely 'tested' by their previous owner, needing at least a complete rotor head to make up a pair of workable (no silly, not working. I'm not that good a modeller) units, the original ones being mass disaster zones.

But I have lost the green plastic engine efflux panel at the rear of the upper housing.

"OK no worries use the spare grey one.

OK but wait, where is the efflux piece for that one?

I dont know didn't you see it in that bag?

I thought I did but stay, where is that bag?"

Turns out that the missing piece has now become two missing identical pieces, thank assorted deities I managed to fit the  piece to the Falklands baby before I was burglarised...

So there I was considering making a resin one from UV resin when this happened

17080116877141082834373931767124.jpg

Something Missing?

Yes I managed to destroy the port U/C skid, two nasty pieces....

Does anyone make an upperdeck part for a SuperLynx?

Wheeled U/C might be an answer

https://i.postimg.cc/tCwG17v5/17080137759375976281901452144381.jpg

Kinda cool huh?

thinking cap on

• Like 10

Well  thats a fiver I wont see again, now to work out how to use it.

Doesnt seem willing to be added to in service so I might have to fit a big block then carve it back to shape.

Lots to learn.

17081042948321469622115123885045.jpg

• Like 6

2 hours ago, perdu said:

That looks like a serious lump of putty! More work for the SIHRSC I assume?

I so love your builds Bill, for so many reasons!

T.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Well we all saw that no?

Well it kinda confirmed a memory from a while back.

Das don't work, for me the way I work...

It fell off, hit the floor and shattered

P1010656.jpg

So now let's try plasticene...

Who knows?

I'm only doing to cast from it, which worked for my Wessex HAS3

P1110714.jpg

Another type of modelling clay ordered, just in case...

• Like 11

On 2/9/2024 at 4:59 PM, perdu said:

I have thought about that seriously Ian but in the mean time I'm giving this a whirl

17074966915982319413795807598980.jpg

It is next to impossible to find accurate close in photos available to peruse Ian so I am having to plan for several iterations of this.

Prosecco bottle foil will undoubtedly play a huge part in what comes next.

17074967965581877880553591304648.jpg

It's a start.

It rather reminds one of the old gag Sir:

Pilot to ship's Captain

"I say,I say Sir ,our Lynx has no nose"

"Really pilot,how does it smell?"

"Awful Sir"

One will now retreat to a respectable safe distance :lol:

• Haha 5

I am not...

No...

Now then though.

Every photograph of the airframe after this incident depicts part of a the nose cone area is in a different position from shot to shot so I am modelling a 'process' based upon this data set.

Here therefore the nose is braced and sitting on a nest of cables and hoses with it's familiar to me displaced to port aspect.

More work will be done inside the holes and additional skin panels will be added with suitably wrinkled outer layers around the holes.

B U T 

Its the colour

Surely this is wrong for Oxford Blue, it looks excessively purple to me

17085246112017749847575025932182.jpg

That said it looks more Westland garage door on a photograph than it does to my eye.

17085247097588531029973203788933.jpg

Quite right, gravity is yet to be applied

17085247443967003401446090148577.jpg

This demonstrates the buggemmed Torpedo with its propelling end jarred off but leaving the bulk of the OTTO fuel tank intact and the MAD bird which from the photographs seems to have been painted dark blue, maybe whilst 'going South' because other photos indicate the red, yellow scheme usually seen on them.

I still have to find pictures of the MAD bird attachment points on Lynx, seems kinda to be hanging off the edge of the undercarriage sponson, but as that has the flotation gear attached it seems unusual to stick it onto the endplate...

Further research called for I think.

• Like 9