Ford Thunderbird '56 in 1/24 scale

A month ago I visited a nearby model shop in Helsinki to browse if there was something new and interesting to buy. Suddenly, I saw a fancy looking box with a picture of a pink Ford Thunderbird ’56 in front of a motel on Route 66. I simply had to by the kit.

The 2-door convertible Ford Thunderbird was produced from 1955 to 1957. A total of 53.166 units were manufactured during the three year period. The car was an all-new concept in motoring called the ”personal luxury”car offering sporty performance in luxury and comfort.

The kit is an old Monogram one that has its origins in 1977 when the company introduced a diecast/plastic T-bird ’56 in 1/24 scale. Since then there have been numerous re-boxings and some new parts (and the for instance the diecast body was skipped) years ago). The latest offering is then the current Revell USA re-boxing with new decals launched this year.

Since the kit is very old I didn’t expect it to be anything near tamigawa quality but I must say that I partly was positively surprised. The fit and the detailing of some parts was excellent even if the age of the kit could clearly be seen. The door and trunk seams were wide and the molding lines strong. The decals on the other hand were excellent and I applied them after having sanded off the molded-on badges and grilles.

I first covered the body with white Tamiya Fine surface primer and painted it then with Tamiya Pink spray TS-25. For the chassis and the smaller details I used Revell’s and Vallejo’s paints. The chrome edges of the roof were done with Bare-Metal chrome foil. The patching up of some of the crome parts was done with a liquid chrome pen. This was also the first time I used Revell’s Contacta clear for the transparent parts and it worked fine.

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

spacer.png

• Like 23

7 minutes ago, Alan R said:

Superb!

I guess her daddy didn't take the T-Bird away!

Cheers,

Alan.

Thanks Alan!..she still has fun, fun fun with her daddy's T-bird 🤣

Einar 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Vesa Jussila said:

Looks good again. I think Thunderbird was more sporty than Corvette at that time. 

Thanks Vesa,

I think so too👍

Einar 

16 minutes ago, CliffB said:

The wrong colour I know, but this one just screams American Graffiti to me.  It's beautifully done, congratulations!

Thanks Cliff!

...well she's almost white🤣

Einar

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

Love it! Although I don't know if I'd want to drive a real one that pink! 🤣

Cracking build Einar, really lovely T'bird! 👍

Keith

Thanks Keith!

I think the same way as you. It's better to have the pink T-bird on the shelf and a 1:1 scale fiery red Jag E-type in the garage🤣👍

Einar

• Haha 1

Just now, cmatthewbacon said:

Looks fabulous, and what a stylish car! I'd be tempted to do the Marilyn Monroe one, which is apparently black, not Barbie pink, whatever people may try to tell us...

best,

M.

Thanks Matthew!

The T-bird looks fabulous in every colour!

Einar