After one round of priming and redoing some seams, I’m now quite happy and getting ready to start painting.

I did remember nose weights. How much? - I asked. One could of course cram as much as possible, but where’s the fun in that? I attached the main gears temporarily and shuffled about a 5-gram weight until I found the tipping point (illustrated below; there is one more 5 gram weight inside).

NdlbpSL.jpg

In case anyone wonders, an added moment of about 45 gram-centimeters will have it balancing on the tipping point (slightly on the safe side - I’m missing propellers and nose cone etc). I’ll try to add 55-60 and it should be fine.

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Like 8

Highly precise measurements there, Torbjorn. Gram-centimeters, while highly appropriate here, seems highly alien to me as I'm used to kNm from the day job in structural engineering.

James

• Like 1

wow you have made some serious progress on her and you seem to have all those issues well and truly sorted.

I have used the tissue covering before on IP covers, it does look good and very realistic.

2 hours ago, Torbjorn said:

In case anyone wonders, an added moment of about 45 gram-centimeters

1 hour ago, 81-er said:

Highly precise measurements there, Torbjorn. Gram-centimeters, while highly appropriate here, seems highly alien to me as I'm used to kNm from the day job in structural engineering.

James

Oi Common English language please … Will have none of that fancy English here. 😉

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, 81-er said:

James

Yeah, Newtons felt rather unhelpful here :)

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Haha 2

Turns out I have to use the vac-form. After raising the cockpit to height corresponding with pictures and drawings, the kit canopy no longer fits. It’s too thick and hits the top of the bulkhead behind the pilot. I should have seen that coming.

No disaster, the vac-form fits after some cutting, and it’s not too thick. The seam will be far from perfect though, I cut a bit unevenly, and I’ll need to fill that somehow. I’m thinking PPP mixed with green, to avoid white to be seen through the canopy.

Last shot of the cockpit before closing. PVA lever knobs in place, as well as the antenna relay for the radio (or at least I think that is what the hanging thing is).

feUP8uX.jpg

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, Cookenbacher said:

It's really looking great, and glad you've come come up with a canopy solution.

It may be tempting to pose the canopy open with all that cool cockpit detail - but I don't know if that would make things easier or more difficult, so I'll be quiet and watch!

I thought about it, but decided I would not be able to make it look clean enough. I’d have to cut the vac-form, which I do not trust I would manage to do good enough, and the filling of the seams would become too conspicious.

I almost forgot the gunsight. I wonder what type they had.

On 9/23/2022 at 11:38 PM, trickyrich said:

gee that interior looks nice, great job!! :thumbsup:

Thanks rich! I feel always a moron for spending so much effort on cockpits, just to close it with the barely transparent canopy. This vacform business is quite new to me, but I hope it will leave something to be seen.

I’ve left off the pitot tube and landing gear and primed the upper sides with Vallejo’s OD primer. Didn’t realize how patchy it was until I posted this. I need to improve light conditions at my work desk (age is catching up on my eyes :()

gFhocsl.jpg

Due to generally bad fit I’m considering to attach all landing gear stuff, and maybe even the pitot tube, before even priming the underside. Bad fit means lots of manhandling which tend to ruin the paintwork. If I understood it correctly, the wheel bays and gear should all be neutral grey anyway. 

Oh, and I trimmed the trim tabs from the ailerons. Seems like the E didn’t have those.

• Like 8

Oooo that paint job looks nice, don't worry about it being patch! I suspect being in that climate the paint finish suffered quite badly so it wouldn't be a nice even finish.

A slight bit of weathering and it'll be prefect! :thumbsup:

• Thanks 1

Yeah, they were all heavily weathered. 

Base paint is on, the OD sprayed with 3 different tones (Vallejo OD mixed with grey, yellow, green). Neutral grey is Vallejo primer (it is not blue, as the photo serms to suggest).

JRRRean.jpg

I an undecided on which option to go with. The scantily clad lady is out, being completely inappropriately dressed for the Alaskan climate (and the kit lacks the starboard Class of 76 art). I’m leaning towards no 80 (Itsy Bitsy) or 93 (shark mouth).

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Like 6

Things always slow down for me when painting starts. 

After waiting for a glosscoat to dry, I added the stencils:

pxnRidr.jpg

They are stark black and stand out. Which won’t do on a weathered workhorse. Fortunately a one-colour paintjob makes it easy to blend them in. After overspray with thinned OD it looks better (and they can still be read, for those who are amused by such things):

typYc1a.jpg

To be [slowly] continued…

Edited by Torbjorn
  • Like 8

I've just had a wander through this thread, wow, but it is fighting you, I think you're winning though with some good skills to show. I hope I can remember your fixes when I come to do my one. Not in this GB though, I've another in mind for this.

Steve.

• Like 1

Almost there…

At some point I knocked off and lost both pitot tube and underside elevator balance, had to scratch replacements. Since this requires painting I fixed some seams I weren’t happy with. Landing gear in place, and she leans the right way.

rELMGGs.jpg

The missing bits and bobs are painted.  I managed to glue one wrong prop blade on the wrong hub before I noticed they aren’t identical (in case someone else didn’t know: they spin different directions and the blades are mirrored along the centreline).

1yGzMA3.jpg

Did some final painting based on the wonderful Life magazine photograph. The gray on the fins/rudders are what appears to be touch-ups made with the underside colour rather than olive drab. The exhaust stains were made with Vallejo Aged white, which seems to match the photo.

IDtHZWU.jpg

Varnished and waiting for final weathering. 

• Like 7

Had a hickup: the spinners are two-piece affairs, and I sort of assumed the seam is where there should be a seam. That was wrong, I realized when checking photos to determine how scratchy these things were. 

These seams are very prominent, so I am trying some in-situ fillling and sanding:

kmA8AV1.jpg

Otherwise I added some chipping (photos of Itsy Bitsy reveal there is no paint left on the leading edges) and oils. These things were extremely worn, but I’m always aftaid of overdoing it. 

1EJx5Fd.jpg

Soon ready for the gallery.

• Like 7

This build was a hard fight! And you won!

That's a very nice P-38.

Don't be afraid about "too heavily weathered", there is a nice article about the 54th in Wingmasters magazine nr. 81 (French edition, I don't think it exists in English). Except for one pic of a plane taken before they were sent to the Aleutians the paint of all the aircraft is worn out.

Congrats.

Pat.

• Like 1