H.M.S. Alert by Shipyard Models in 1/72 scale in paper & card

3 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Interesting. What page is that? 

Edit. Found it Page 17

That table refers to the cutter Pheasant, not Alert, though why it's in the book is a mystery to me.

I think the author was getting info from where ever he could.

Anyway, I’ve made the masts, spars and yards. And today have been figuring out how and where to start the rigging. 
Am I right in thinking that Standing rigging would be black and Running rigging brown ? 
Jon

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Faraway said:

Am I right in thinking that Standing rigging would be black and Running rigging brown ? 

Aye, that’s the way of it. Standing rigging, not being required to move much was waterproofed with a tar based substance so black or very dark grey would be a good choice. Running rigging is just rope colour. Hemp and maybe linen. I think it likely that several pale browns and even white would be in use simultaneously if you want to vary your shades. 🕶️

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The mast etc are now done.

p?i=697c110dd7fa4ebee7d4dd9b4ffed1b7

Now, as I said earlier, I need to start practicing on the rigging. Once I've got a bit more comfortable with it, I'll be stepping the mast and the bowsprit. Can't do the Standing rigging without them being in place. 

About to enter a scary stage.

Jon

• Like 7

I sort of guessed that this next stage was going to be a bit (?) of a challenge, BUT bloomin eck, was I ever right.

I've started to add the rigging, suffice to say the instructions are not very helpful.

The fact I had to resort to looking at the instructions for HMS Alert on the Vanguard Models web site, speaks volumes.

So, my plan is to do as much standing rigging as I can, WITHOUT fitting the yards, as I know they will get in the way. Eventually of course I won't have a choice.

In some areas, I'm having to change the size of the thread, from what the instructions say I should use, to what ACTUALLY fits into the blocks.

But as I go, I'm learning what I can and can't do, and so far, despite several false starts and much vibrant language :rant: AND walking away before I used the boat for a Viking Funeral, I'm getting the hang of it, mind you, I've yet to tackle the shrouds and ratlines.

Although I will admit now that I'm probably going to simplify some of the rigging, so this isn't going to 100% historically accurate, but it shroud suffice.

Jon

p?i=efbec038030cae1610d84c114245626f

p?i=904e24066ec2aa1ca5fa5896bc05f333

p?i=9f7281d519138f270e332cd2a097aaea

• Like 5

Everything is looking ship-shape there Jon, impressive. As for the rigging, I'm sure you'll 'tackle' it just fine. I've always wanted to do a sailing ship of some description but with everything else I have to build... That being said, I have a number of 'Renown' ships to scratch at some time, we'll see.

Carry on the good work.

Stuart

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Faraway said:

I'm probably going to simplify some of the rigging

Of course. I thought that was what everyone did.

It's a flipping horrible thing to be learning at our time of life but when it starts going right I guarantee it will make you grin out loud.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

It's a flipping horrible thing to be learning at our time of life

Sorry, I’ve got to disagree.
Every model I build, I learn something and enjoy the feeling.

This one is no different, it took me nearly all day to rig those three threads, admittedly several hours were spent trying to ‘crack the code’ that is the instructions. 
But I tell you this, I WILL be building another ‘square rigger’ probably not card/paper and definitely not wood, so I guess that leaves plastic.

Jon

• Like 5

41 minutes ago, Faraway said:
4 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

It's a flipping horrible thing to be learning at our time of life

Sorry, I’ve got to disagree.
Every model I build, I learn something and enjoy the feeling.

Agreed. Every day is a good for learning even if it is only figuring out how to tie a knot in a bit of string.

cheers ,Graham

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, ColonelKrypton said:

Agreed. Every day is a good for learning even if it is only figuring out how to tie a knot in a bit of string.

cheers ,Graham

I should’ve said difficult rather than horrible. I don’t know, I try to be sympathetic.  🤣

Edit: Or did I mean encouraging. 🤣🤣

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

Sad news.

But once again this :rant:kit is going to be put away until my sanity returns. 

It’s not that I CAN’T do the rigging, it’s just I don’t WANT to to do the :rant: rigging.

I sat at my bench this morning and started looking at the rigging plan and was immediately confused, it was asking me to thread a 1mm cord through a block with a 0.4mm hole, twice. 😱.

And as for the Yards, the instructions don’t even:rant:mention them.

So I looked at the other set of plans I have downloaded from Vanguard Models, and saw how they were SUPPOSED to be. 
And that just about sums up these appalling instructions, that I need to look at others from another manufacturer. :hmmm:

At that point I knew I had to stop, I just can’t find any reason to go on with it, so it’s on the shelf of shame and there it will stay until I feel able to continue.

Meanwhile, I’m going back to something a bit more modern, well 1940’s, and with instructions that make sense.

Jon

• Sad 5

Sad news.

Gidday Jon, it's a pity that this won't be completed in the near future but this hobby is meant to be enjoyable. If it is not then walking away for a while could be a good thing, better than causing too much angst and pushing it beyond the point of no return. I remember my father saying many years ago that "A good General knows when to retreat". (OK Admiral in our case. 🙂) No doubt you'll take her up again when you feel that you can.   HTH.

Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, psdavidson said:

But a sensible decision if your heart's not in it

/P

Most definitely lost my mojo for this one.

Jon

14 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday Jon, it's a pity that this won't be completed in the near future but this hobby is meant to be enjoyable. If it is not then walking away for a while could be a good thing, better than causing too much angst and pushing it beyond the point of no return. I remember my father saying many years ago that "A good General knows when to retreat". (OK Admiral in our case. 🙂) No doubt you'll take her up again when you feel that you can.   HTH.

Regards, Jeff.

I’ve no doubt I’ll go back to it, one day. I’ve invested too much time in it, to bin it.

Besides, I would like to see it finished.

Jon

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Perhaps it would be helpful to invest in some proper wooden blocks from Cornwall Model Boats rather than persevering with the laminated packs of cards?

I have, but still had to drill the holes to make them bigger.

Jon

• Sad 1

1 minute ago, Faraway said:

I have, but still had to drill the holes to make them bigger.

Jon

Ah. Sorry.

I have a set of reamers which I bought for that job. The long conical shape allows me to make the holes as big as the block will bear, though it's awful painful digging holes in my fingers...

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Faraway said:

until I feel able to continue.

And I am sure you will Jon, this has been a fascinating build and your determination to unravel the instructions is to be admired. As @ArnoldAmbrose said about knowing when to retreat, the model isn't going nowhere but your skill set is.

Gary

• Thanks 1

Jon, I understand that you aren't best pleased by the way Alert repels borders and you have my sympathy. 

On the other hand, you've led me to challenge my own rather rigid views about not keeping a 'shelf of doom'. What does it matter if I have one, or two, or twenty kits underway at once? The only real limit is my storage space and I have a lot of that.

I no longer have to be prepared to move house at the whim of the service - it's likely that I'm staying here until they take me away in a van. It's taken  a long time to understand that. No, just as you are handling Alert, I can dip into and out of multiple projects as the whim takes me.

So I will.

So there, old worn-out habits, yah-boo-sucks to you!!

Thanks for that Jon.

• Like 4

15 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

'shelf of doom'.

Perhaps we should rename it ‘shelf of maybe tomorrow’ ?

I’m quite proud of myself, that I only have two on the shelf so far, Alert & Belfast and I do dislike having started one and not finishing it.

My storage space is a constant problem, I need more shelves.

Jon

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Faraway said:

Perhaps we should rename it

Shelf of promise.
Shelf of gestation.

Shelf of fermentation.

Shelf of rest.

Shelf of breathing space

Shelf of hiatus (oh no, that’s me ‘ernia!)

Shelf of…

Loft of…

• Haha 4

I’m quite proud of myself, that I only have two on the shelf so far

Gidday Jon, I've only had two on 'The Shelf' that I can recall - HMAS Perth II (for thirty years) and HMS Hardy (a few years). Some have been temporarily put on hold while I tackle a (time limited) GB and then taken up again at the conclusion of said GB but I think that is a bit different. I'm concerned that once a build goes onto the shelf it may never come down again.

PS -Make that THREE on the shelf, I forgot about a scratched balsa USS Alaska at aprox 1/300 scale. It's only been on hold for about 48 years. 😁       Regards, Jeff.

• Like 2

Ahoy, Faraway. I realy know how you felling! I have  some (maybe lots...?) models abandoned. But I have some models that I finished after YEARS. I have a Disney Wall-E scratchbuilt, has abandoned overten years; and I finished it two years ago.

Well, a brazilian cannot teach a British the meaning of Keep calm and Carry On. By the way I learned this from the British. 😀.

So, Keep Calm and Keep Mounting (others models, if your wish! 😁.)

• Like 1