H.M.S. Alert by Shipyard Models in 1/72 scale in paper & card

1 minute ago, Ray S said:

Wow Jon, that is coming along very well indeed! I know you have had the odd hitch or two, but it has all been worth while, at least from this side of the screen.

Enjoy your grape juice!

Ray

Thanks Ray.
There have been one or two problems and, to be honest, I think the worst is yet to come in the shape of how to shape the mast and all the other bits of wood.

And then of course, we have the rigging, but I’m banishing that thought right away.

But I think I’m finally getting into the head of the writer of the instructions, it’s a very strange place, that’s for sure.
The most pressing matter at the mo’, white or rose ?
:hmmm:

Jon

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

It doesn't look like I expected a card model to look. The darned thing is neater and more symmetrical than my Beagle!

You’re right, I have to say I had no idea what to expect.

Not sure it’s neater than your Beagle, remember the only alterations I seem to have to do, is trim the odd end of a bit of cardboard, YOU have to custom shape wood to fit, not sure I could do that.

Jon

1 hour ago, Faraway said:

@Bertie McBoatface

In case you are tempted.........

https://www.papershipwright.co.uk/

Heh heh heh.

Jon

I did one of these from PaperShipwrights, a free download then used it as a template for a scratch build:

https://www.papershipwright.co.uk/product/sms-rhein-mosel/

It was fun!

Ray

• Like 1

Can't beat starting the day with a good old moan.

I'm about to start the Capstan, Bow Jeer Bitts, Grapple of the Bowsprit, the instructions words, not mine.

So here are the parts, I think that's all of them.

p?i=5c2e8de2d081aabe962b09ebaaad7aaf

And here are the instructions as to where to place them.

p?i=7f7daa34bdcbbf865945b1e7be412ead

p?i=6391f1b4b22fa3f0d3c5a8e90c51c63e

I've scratched out the part numbers as I found the parts.

I struggle with this flitting between pictures, but I WILL assemble this.

Let battle commence.

Jon

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

3 hours ago, Faraway said:

Capstan, Bow Jeer Bitts, Grapple of the Bowsprit, the instructions words, not mine.

Hey Jon. I find all this as interesting as you find it frustrating. One if the things that makes nauticalese such an interesting language is the historical bad translations.

Eg. Swedish ship calls in to Elgin to dodge a storm and the local lads all wander across to give her the once over.

"Hey pal, what's that thing sticking out there called? It looks handy."

Tired Swedish sailor, with no English or Scottish mumbles, "We came from Stockholm"

"Whad 'e say? Hey Frank, did you hear what he said?"

"Sounded like shock foam tae me, Bill"

"I like the look o' that. I'm goin' tae get Jimmy the blacksmith tae make me a chockfloam for ma boat"

And so it goes.

This is why in English the mizzen mast is the one at the back but in French, it's the foremast and in latin (and maybe Italian?) it's the one in the middle. And why so many things on boats have half a dozen different names and why so many nautical names have half a dozen different meanings

To get your instructions correct you'd need a translator with historical boat knowledge of the eighteenth century conventions, in Polish and English. I bet it was done by Google Translate.

I think your capstan is a windlass, your bow jeer bitts are chainplates, and the grapple of bowsprit are bitts (for attaching lines from the bowsprit), but who really knows? 🤔

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Hey Jon. I find all this as interesting as you find it frustrating. One if the things that makes nauticalese such an interesting language is the historical bad translations.

Eg. Swedish ship calls in to Elgin to dodge a storm and the local lads all wander across to give her the once over.

"Hey pal, what's that thing sticking out there called? It looks handy."

Tired Swedish sailor, with no English or Scottish mumbles, "We came from Stockholm"

"Whad 'e say? Hey Frank, did you hear what he said?"

"Sounded like shock foam tae me, Bill"

"I like the look o' that. I'm goin' tae get Jimmy the blacksmith tae make me a shock foam for ma boat"

And so it goes.

This is why in English the mizzen mast is the one at the back but in French, it's the foremast and in latin (and maybe Italian?) it's the one in the middle. And why so many things on boats have half a dozen different names and why so many nautical names have half a dozen different meanings

To get your instructions correct you'd need a translator with historical boat knowledge of the eighteenth century conventions, in Polish and English. I bet it was done by Google Translate.

I think your capstan is a windlass, your bow jeer bitts are chainplates, and the grapple of bowsprit are bitts (for attaching lines from the bowsprit), but who really knows? 🤔

All I know at the moment, having a tea break, is that some of the different parts have been given the same part number and some of the parts have no number at all.

So I’m flitting between the two pictures in the instructions and a picture of the finished ship. 
I THINK I’m getting it right and so far, I don’t have any parts left over.

Jon

1 minute ago, Faraway said:

All I know at the moment, having a tea break, is that some of the different parts have been given the same part number and some of the parts have no number at all.

So I’m flitting between the two pictures in the instructions and a picture of the finished ship. 
I THINK I’m getting it right and so far, I don’t have any parts left over.

Jon

Don't forget your AOTS Alert PDF. There will be good diagrams in the back.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Don't forget your AOTS Alert PDF. There will be good diagrams in the back.

Indeed that as well. It helps with positioning, but obviously not with the somewhat vague part numbering.

Jon

That was a challenge. 

But I did quite enjoy it and the end result is not too bad, it'll look better once its painted.

p?i=988e2fb1039eee682afa1182c9917a7b

p?i=86289e19deb5584595da9c312bea405f

p?i=96d81865c182515dab5c1bf09e951fca

p?i=0ca1d74b3e64bdd621c53ee3f84a3d2d

p?i=0fb6b0ff28085f8b7334ff3f2a7fcbbd

p?i=40180aa965ef03d0db13b170cedfcd70

p?i=5120e53b09c5ad99f3a86a34cc642dcd

p?i=f23bbf9180415800799fd2bf394a3030

That's me done for today, the sun is starting to heat up my work room, so as always I'm off to find somewhere cooler. Well 25c instead of 30c.

Jon

• Like 5

It has been very slow going here at the paper dry dock, at the moment its just too hot for any concerted effort, it fact its too much of an effort to make the effort.

But heres what has happen so far.

The anchor windlass (capstan) and the frame the bowsprit sits on (not sure of its name)

p?i=0124bfd4592432b4781ec1805d431b16

I've fitted the rudder, the hinges will be painted black.

p?i=65488da6d0c6f440a9e557789c957ae2

The two anchors waiting paint.

p?i=ae8695c791f47a31f34fe5793a9c4f09

Then I thought I'd have a look at how the deadeyes and blocks go together.

Quite well actually, albeit very small.

p?i=2678f7024263dd0a632cc7bd6b7bd6d0

p?i=6ab59046895f5af3b426d0ec8aa0266a

p?i=95324e5639b9a44a1f5caa0f4ed440f6

p?i=491d24b54d640501566f002955278cc4

Good attention to detail around the holes.

p?i=3e322906403b55b14ad7b1b6f70a589f

That's me done for the day.

Hopefully the weather is going to start cooling down from Monday, so I can get back into the flow and press on.

Jon

• Like 6

12 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:

Now that is either clever manufacturing or you are bevelling the holes yourself. Either way, it's impressive.

Nothing to do with me, honest.

Jon

• Like 1

Oh my Jon, they look very good. Any issues with aligning the layers or did it all go to plan?

I am increasingly impressed with this kit (instructions excepted), and you are doing a fabulous job with it!

Ray

4 hours ago, Ray S said:

Oh my Jon, they look very good. Any issues with aligning the layers or did it all go to plan?

Sort of ok, I think I might change the glue to a slower drying one, that’ll give me more time to adjust them.

Jon

• Like 2