USS Langley AV-3, Trumpeter, 1/350

Color of those stripes on upper wing and engine cowlings is squadron marking. There won't be any alphanumerical markings, because I don't have them, plus looking at the pictures, not all of them had them. Second six will have red stripes. Green squad is nearly done ;) 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 7/5/2023 at 5:22 AM, Michael M said:

Spare one is done, I have a separate plan for it ;) 

Gidday Mick, as others have said, those planes are beautiful. When I've made parts for my ships I've often made spares. Some I've made display bases for them and submitted them in model shows here as models themselves. The first time I did this were a 20mm Oerlikon AA gun and an IKARA antisubmarine missile, both in 1/600 scale. They weren't very big. One woman looking at the Oelikon muttered "He needs to get a life!", not knowing that it was me standing alongside her that made them. My son replied "It's all right for you but I've got to live with him." 😁

But back to yours, they're exquisite, very well done. Regards, Jeff.

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

46 minutes ago, Bertie McBoatface said:
18 hours ago, Michael M said:

Wife of one of my mates said once that I'm a psychopath, after seeing pictures of one of my models :D 

Was that the one carved from a human thigh bone? Beautiful workmanship. 

I thought God made Eve from Adam's rib, not his thigh bone.       Oh, you mean the model carved from the thigh bone?  I thought you were referring to the wife. 😁

I'll get my coat. 🙂   Regards, Jeff.

• Haha 4

As always I forgot to put matchstick with them when taking photos with good camera, so the last one is done with phone, sorry :sheep:

Green squadron done, now another six from the red one...........................:hanging:

53039975253_61c04b740c_o.jpg

53039675949_1b4118015e_o.jpg

53038905557_4a13770781_o.jpg

53039885230_674bab0bd2_o.jpg

Cheers

Mick

• Like 19

Amazing job on these Trumpeter P2Y Rangers. I did a test build of one in my stash and the PE wing struts were a real test of my PE bending skills. Beautiful job on everything so far.

Are you planning to show some of these aircraft partially disassembled on the aft upper deck like the kit box art? I wish there were more reference photos (or even better yet a video) available showing how they managed to assemble/ dis-assemble/ move these huge floatplanes and upper wings on/ off/ around the deck. Did they use the elevator or just crane these aircraft directly on/ off from the upper deck to water? The whole affair just looks so tight for space….

Edited by nearsightedjohn
Verb tense correction
  • Thanks 1

Thanks 🙏

I think the only way for P2Y to go on and off the flight deck was a crane from the pier. Elevator is to small and all the ship cranes are one deck below. I've seen picture of a Seagull being lifted on from a pier with one of those cranes under the flight deck.

I am going for the boxart kind of scenario, there are two pictures of her with a bunch of disassembled P2Y's.

Thank you Michael for the clarification. I found this description on hazegray.org for the tender conversion of the Langley which supports your comments:

“The forward 1/3 of the flight deck was removed to open up a seaplane servicing deck, and seaplane hoisting booms were installed. The remainder of the flight deck apparently served no purpose other than as an aircraft storage area when the ship served as an aircraft ferry”.

spacer.png

When I tackle this kit I’m hoping to create a water diorama that is similar to the box art but I’d also like to depict an actual refueling of one of the P2Y Rangers. The few WWII images that I can find of seaplanes being refueled appear to just show a launch or launches around the aircraft some distance from the tender. Is this the way they were refueled from the Langley or was there an actual refueling line/ boom extended out to the aircraft positioned close to the ship? The later would work better for a waterline display but I would prefer accuracy over visual drama. Thoughts?

• Like 3

Only that boxart is incorrect. Those planes on It are P2Ys and the ones on the actual photographs and inside the box are P2Y-2. Difference is in the position of the engine nacelles. The early ones had them below the top wing while P2Y-2 had them on the leading edge of he wing.

As for fueling, those pipes visible on the boxart supposedly were fuel lines and rubber hoses were operated with booms from those solid pipes to the planes on the water. There is no photos of that operation, so it's all guesswork and deduction.

Edited by Michael M
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks again Michael for the observation about the incorrect aircraft (P2Y-1) on the box art, I totally missed it! At least they didn’t show the weird three engine prototype! (Early XP2Y-1).

Yes, I have yet to locate a photo of any aircraft floating near the Langley (or any WWII seaplane tender for that matter) and being re-fueled via a ship mounted boom and fuel hose. I suspect any seas rougher than nearly dead calm would be dangerous to re-fuel this way. My reference book on the PY2 (the Steve Ginter book) states that they incorporated two 650 gal fuel tanks.  I’m wondering if they just sent out one or more of the motorboats with 55 gal fuel drums and a pump? I’ll keep looking…

• Like 1

Working on the langley myself.

Planned to make her look like 1942 with the warhawks.

However impossible to find in 1:350, but found trumpeter me 109.

Try make some adjustments.

Main problem is finding usaaf markings.

(And why use clear plastic, impossible to see for old eyes 🙂)

• 2 weeks later...

FINALLY, the flying junk is done. Seagulls will get wheeled dollies and P2Y's need ladders for the upper wing, but I'll make those while painting crew, after hollidays ;) 

53081628106_cc2a7e9dbf_o.jpg

53082037970_4ec00542ea_o.jpg

53081628226_cae80c9cf3_o.jpg

53082038075_6e5d5a5366_o.jpg

Cheers

Mick

• Like 26

Fantastic work on that air wing :clap:

On 13/07/2023 at 22:54, Michael M said:

As for fueling, those pipes visible on the boxart supposedly were fuel lines and rubber hoses were operated with booms from those solid pipes to the planes on the water. There is no photos of that operation, so it's all guesswork and deduction.

I couldn't be sure and it is only artwork after all which is someone's interpretation, but they just look like fairly standard boats' booms to me

• Thanks 1