Jump to content

All things Airfix 1:600 warships - details and conversions etc.


Recommended Posts

According to Wiki, some later Rothesay class frigates were cancelled whilst on the stocks and then completed as Leanders.  This has given me an idea to convert/backdate a Leander to a Rothesay but how different were they, especially in the hull shape?   I can modify or scratchbuild parts for the upperworks but would have real difficulty if there were major shape difference in the hull.

 

Anyone already tried it or have information that  might help with what I need to change?

 

cheers,

Mike

Edited by bootneck
Title amended to reflect all Airfix 1:600 warship kits
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Hi Mike,

 

I have a part completed Airfix 1/600 LEANDER to LONDONDERRY conversion.  Technically the Rothesays were fractionally shorter by about 18 inches (which I ignored) but otherwise the only major structural differences that I have been able to detect is the lowered quarterdeck and full width bridge superstructure.

 

51504330570_0aa7d354c4_b.jpg

  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ooh! I like that, even if it is only 1:600 scale.   Have you posted a WiP anywhere?  If so, I must have missed it and would really like to see more.  It was the 3-masted Londonderry that started me on this quest.

 

cheers,
Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think ignoring the 18" length difference between Rothesay (and Whitby) class ships and Leanders is correct - I think that the length between perpendiculars of all three classes was the same, and the only difference in length overall was the result of the aft-sloping transom, which was a deck taller in the Leanders.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Good morning Ted,

that is good to know.  I always work to the LBP on my ship models and that information about the Rothesay, Whitby and Leander being the same is very useful indeed.

 

cheers,
Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gidday, I'm very interested in following this idea. I have an Airfix Leander built many years ago, it is now missing the screws and entire superstructure. I had an idea of converting it to a Leopard class with the two turrets, scratch building a new superstructure. This era of warship is not my forte, and I'm not overly concerned if the dimensions are slightly different, as long as it looks OK. I apologize if I appear to be a philistine with this last statement. 😁 I'll still try to get it as accurate as I can. Chewbacca's build of HMS Puma will no doubt be a goldmine of info for me. (Hope you don't mind, Chewy). Looking forward to seeing this develop. Regards, Jeff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, I'm very interested in following this idea. I have an Airfix Leander built many years ago, it is now missing the screws and entire superstructure. I had an idea of converting it to a Leopard class with the two turrets, scratch building a new superstructure. This era of warship is not my forte, and I'm not overly concerned if the dimensions are slightly different, as long as it looks OK. I apologize if I appear to be a philistine with this last statement. 😁 I'll still try to get it as accurate as I can. Chewbacca's build of HMS Puma will no doubt be a goldmine of info for me. (Hope you don't mind, Chewy). Looking forward to seeing this develop. Regards, Jeff.

 

Hi Jeff,

 

Back in the early 80's, Airfix Magazine did an article called "Cats & Cathedrals" detailing the conversion of the Airfix Leander into both Type 41 and Type 61 Frigates. 

 

DaveCov has a pdf version of the article here: https://www.davecov.org/modelling/reference/airfixmagazinearticles/warships/pdfs/January_1982_Cat_and_Cathedral_Class_Frigates.pdf

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yes, I've got his Rothesay and I shall need a couple more.  The Rothesay will become Londonderry but I shall have to scratchbuild the other two;  as I need a Yarmouth and Plymouth for my Falklands builds.

 

Mike

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Hi Mike,

 

I have a part completed Airfix 1/600 LEANDER to LONDONDERRY conversion.  Technically the Rothesays were fractionally shorter by about 18 inches (which I ignored) but otherwise the only major structural differences that I have been able to detect is the lowered quarterdeck and full width bridge superstructure.

 

51504330570_0aa7d354c4_b.jpg

 

Very nice. 

 

Brings back lots of memories as I went on Londonderry as a kid in the 70s when she visited Townsville Australia with Scylla (spelling?) and one of the Tankers (Olna?).  I do remember being particularly astonished at the Wasp Helicopter and how tiny it was. 

 

Always though about using the Airfix Leander kit as a basis for RAN River Class DEs (six in three basic sub classes of pairs) but never seemed to find any Leander kits when I had the Pocket Money in those days. But did buy a Frog 1:500 Torquay when I saw one of those and a few years later some Novo ones when they were more readily available in Woolworths. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gidday AntPhillips for the link. That article will be very useful too.

 

And Rob, besides the old model mentioned above I also have another kit, unstarted and part of the Airfix 'Falkland Islands' set, that I intend to convert to HMAS Swan some time in the future.

 

Regards, Jeff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, bootneck said:

Ooh! I like that, even if it is only 1:600 scale.   Have you posted a WiP anywhere?  If so, I must have missed it and would really like to see more.  It was the 3-masted Londonderry that started me on this quest.

 

cheers,
Mike

 

Hi Mike,

 

I started it over 6 years ago at a time whenever I tried to get onto BM my anti-virus checker said it was infected and blocked it.  In those days I was a firm devotee of the Airfix Tribute Forum having been one of the earliest members from about 2006.  It was only a chat to Martian at a Club meet one night coupled with the fact that ATF moved to a Tapatalk platform around the same time (which is truly awful) that persuaded me to jump ship.  I thought I had created a WIP in ATF but I can't check as even through I still have an account over there, Tapatalk won't let me in unless I create a separate account with them and change my username to the Tapatalk one which I have no intention of doing.  For the record, I don;t blame any of the ATF team for the move to Tapatalk - I know there hand was effectively forced - it's just that I find it the most infuriating website hosting software I have ever used (and I used to be the web manager for a multi-award winning car club website).  I do have some WIP  photos so can recreate it on here when I get started on it again.

 

7 hours ago, ArnoldAmbrose said:

Gidday, I'm very interested in following this idea. I have an Airfix Leander built many years ago, it is now missing the screws and entire superstructure. I had an idea of converting it to a Leopard class with the two turrets, scratch building a new superstructure. This era of warship is not my forte, and I'm not overly concerned if the dimensions are slightly different, as long as it looks OK. I apologize if I appear to be a philistine with this last statement. 😁 I'll still try to get it as accurate as I can. Chewbacca's build of HMS Puma will no doubt be a goldmine of info for me. (Hope you don't mind, Chewy). Looking forward to seeing this develop. Regards, Jeff.

 

No problem at all Jeff - help yourself.  Don't forget though that although the Rothesays and Whitby's were virtually identical in length and beam to the Leanders, the Cats and Cathedrals were shorter at only 340 ft long which does make a difference (~15 mm in 1/600).

 

5 hours ago, Groundloop said:

Peter Hall at Atlantic Models has VERY recently released three versions of the Whitbys and Rothesays in 1/350.

Oooh, very useful intel.  Didn't know that.  Thanks

 

 

 

 

 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hi,

It's my understanding that the hulls for the initial Leanders, the Rothsays, and the Whitbys ships were basically identical as well.  Last year, I went and bought a handful of the old FROG/NOVO 1/500 scale HMS Torquay with the intents of eventually trying to convert some of them into HMS Penelope, HMS Londonderry, maybe a what-if and HMS Torquay herself (as-built and as she was later in life).  In addition I was hoping to use one of the hulls for measuring so that I could try and make a printable 3D model that I could scale to other sizes.  So far though I haven't really gotten anywhere on it though.

 

As such I'm anxious to see how your build turns out.

 

Pat

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, Chewbacca said:

Don't forget though that although the Rothesays and Whitby's were virtually identical in length and beam to the Leanders, the Cats and Cathedrals were shorter at only 340 ft long which does make a difference (~15 mm in 1/600).

Gidday, thanks for that. Yeah, AFAIK 372 feet to 340 feet, 16mm. I haven't gone into this in depth yet, it's just an idea at this stage. But any info from any of you is useful and gratefully received.

Anyway, this is Mike Bootneck's thread, not mine so I'll stop hogging it. Regards, Jeff.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • bootneck changed the title to All things Airfix 1:600 warships - details and conversions etc.

This thread (originally Rothesay class conversion) has generated a fair bit of interest in Airfix's ship kits and so I have opened it up to all Airfix 1:600 scale warships (not sailing ships!).  If anyone has any advice on additions, conversions and/or general information on these Airfix warships kits then please contribute them here.

 

cheers,

Mike

interested parties: @Chewbacca @ArnoldAmbrose @AntPhillips @davecov @PF Naughton @Our Ned 

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Mike. @bootneck

 

For the past fifteen years I have posted a lot of the Airfix Magazine nautical articles on my website in PDF files. You can access them all at:

 

https://davecov.org/davecov/davecov-airfix-magazine-articles/

 

Note, there are more subjects than just Airfix 1/600 ships.

 

Full list of articles below:

June 1960 – Detailing HMS Victorious

July 1960 – HMS Tiger Feature

October 1963 – Cruiser Conversions

March 1964 – HMS Queen Elizabeth and HMS Valiant

August 1964 – A to I Class Destroyers

November 1965 – HMS Ajax Conversions

February 1966 – HMS Cumberland

April 1966 – HMS Fearless

June 1966 – Various Four-Stackers

November 1966 – RAN Leander Class Cruisers

January 1967 – Commonwealth Tribal Class Destroyers

March 1967 – HMS Devonshire

April 1967 – Weapon Class Destroyers

June 1967 – County Class Cruiser HMS London

July 1967 – Displaying Warships on a Sea Base

September 1967 – J to N Destroyers

October 1967 – In The Air – HMS Eagle

November 1967 – HMS Daring Conversions

January 1968 – HMS Warspite Conversions

June 1968 – H Class Destroyers

July 1969 – Battle Class Destroyers

October 1969 – Flower Class Corvettes

November 1969 – O to Z Class Destroyers (Part One)

December 1969 – O to Z Class Destroyers (Part Two)

March 1970 – Flags For Warship Models

April 1970 – HMS Blake Helicopter Cruiser Conversion

June 1970 – Fire Control (Part One)

July 1970 – HMS Ariadne

September 1970 – Fire Control (Part Two)

November 1970 – Detailing HMS Leander

November 1970 – HMS Sussex Feature

December 1970 – Fire Control (Part Three)

January 1971 – Hunt Class Destroyers (Part One)

January 1971 – Motorising HMS Iron Duke

February 1971 – Hunt Class Destroyers (Part Two)

March 1971 – Soviet Sea Power

June 1971 – River Class Frigates (Part One)

July 1971 – River Class Frigates (Part Two)

November 1971 – Black Swan Sloops (Part One)

December 1971 – Black Swan Sloops (Part Two)

March 1972 – HMS Eagle Feature

August 1972 – Algerine Class Minesweepers

September 1972 – Motorising the Airfix Vosper Motor Torpedo Boat

October 1972 – Twin-Screw Motorised Airfix Vosper Motor Torpedo Boat

October 1974 – HMS Hood Detailing

October 1975 – HMS Amazon Detailing

February 1976 – HMS Apollo Detailing

April 1976 – HMS Devonshire Detailing

May 1976 – Lutjens Class Destroyers

August 1976 – HMS Dido

February 1977 – City Class Conversions

May 1977 – Australian Leander and Arethusa Cruisers

June 1977 – HMS Hotspur Feature

July 1977 – Ikara Leander Photo Feature

October 1977 – HMS Suffolk Photo Feature

January 1978 – Exocet Warship Photo Feature

March 1978 – Fiji, Swiftsure and Tiger Class Cruisers

April 1978 – HMS Achilles and Diomede Photo Feature

April 1978 – HMS Ajax Feature

May 1978 – RAN Perth Class DDGs

June 1978 – County Class Cruisers

August 1978 – Royal Naval Coastal Forces (Part One)

October 1978 – Queen Elizabeth Class Battleships

November 1978 – Royal Naval Coastal Forces (Part Four)

January 1979 – HMS Manxman as Minesweeper Support Ship

March 1979 – HMS Manxman Conversions

September 1979 – USS Forrestal Conversions

November 1979 – Detailing the RAF High Speed Launch

December 1979 – A to I Class Destroyers

January 1980 – Converting USS Forrestal to USS Enterprise

January 1980 – HMS Bulwarks New Air Group

February 1980 – MGB43

April 1980 – Exocet Destroyers and Frigates

May 1980 – RAF High Speed Launch

June 1980 – HMS Invincible Feature

June 1980 – USS Saipan Feature

September 1980 – BPBC 63ft Motor Anti-Submarine Boat

October 1980 – Spanish Cruisers Baleares and Canarias

November 1980 – Bismarck to Tirpitz

January 1981 – Detailing USS Atlanta

March 1981 – L and M Class Destroyers

April 1981 – HMS Invincible 1925

July 1981 – The Modern Submarine Service (Part One)

August 1981 – The Modern Submarine Service (Part One)

August 1981 – USS Prinz Eugen

September 1981 – The Modern Submarine Service (Part Three)

October 1981 – The Modern Submarine Service (Part Four)

November 1981 – HMS Hood 1920

December 1981 – HMS Hood 1931

January 1982 – Cat and Cathedral Class Frigates

January 1982 – HMS Hood 1941

March 1982 – Admiral Class Battleships

April 1982 – USS Forrestals Escort Destroyers

May 1982 – British Battlecruisers (Part One)

June 1982 – British Battlecruisers (Part Two)

July 1982 – HMS Invincible Scratch-Build

September 1982 – British Battlecruisers (Part Three)

November 1982 – HMS Alliance Submarine Museum

November 1982 – Scratch-Building USS Ohio (SSBN)

December 1982 – HMS St George

January 1983 – British Battlecruisers (Part Four)

February 1983 – HMS Hood in Later Days

April 1983 – Battleship Life

May 1983 – American Battlecruisers

June 1983 – Surcouf

July 1983 – SMS Ostfriesland

August 1983 – HMS Repulse 1936

September 1983 – Sinking of the Roma

March 1983 – British Battlecruisers (Part Five)

November 1983 – HMS Exeter Past And Present

November 1988 – Airfix Afloat – Waterline Models

January 1991 – Vosper MTB

OctoberNovember 1993 – Devonshire in Detail

Airfix Magazine Annual 1 – The Ark Royal III Story

Airfix Magazine Annual 2 – Radar in the Royal Navy

Airfix Magazine Annual 3 – HMS Ark Royal IV and her Aircraft

Airfix Magazine Annual 5 – Modelling HMS Rodney

Airfix Magazine Annual 6 – HMS Campbeltown at St Nazaire

Airfix Magazine Guide 7 – Battle Class Destroyers

Airfix Magazine Guide 7 – Detailing HMS Daring

Airfix Magazine Guide 7 – Detailing HMS Leander

Airfix Magazine Guide 7 – Warship Flags

 

Dave

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Thanks Dave,

I have a few of those kits and it is about time I did some fettling with them.  I'm blown away by Chewbacca's Leander to Londonderry conversion and would really like to be able to do something like that.

 

cheers,

Mike

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did one of those over forty five years ago!

 

Here is a picture that I took in 1981 of some ship models that I had made over the previous ten years. My Rothesay-class conversion is at the left of the screen along a capsizing HMS Leander Ikara conversion and many other builds from that era.

spacer.png

 

You can also see a HMS Tiger conversion, an Exocet-armed HMS Antrim and HMS Sheffield conversion from HMS Belfast.

 

Dave

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, bootneck said:

This thread (originally Rothesay class conversion) has generated a fair bit of interest in Airfix's ship kits and so I have opened it up to all Airfix 1:600 scale warships (not sailing ships!).  If anyone has any advice on additions, conversions and/or general information on these Airfix warships kits then please contribute them here.

 

cheers,

Mike

interested parties: @Chewbacca @ArnoldAmbrose @AntPhillips @davecov @PF Naughton @Our Ned 

 

Was wondering where this Thread went however I thought it was only the French who were snubbing Australians!  

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, davecov said:

Thanks Mike. @bootneck

 

For the past fifteen years I have posted a lot of the Airfix Magazine nautical articles on my website in PDF files. You can access them all at:

 

https://davecov.org/davecov/davecov-airfix-magazine-articles/

 

Note, there are more subjects than just Airfix 1/600 ships.

 

Full list of articles below:

June 1960 – Detailing HMS Victorious

July 1960 – HMS Tiger Feature

October 1963 – Cruiser Conversions

March 1964 – HMS Queen Elizabeth and HMS Valiant

August 1964 – A to I Class Destroyers

November 1965 – HMS Ajax Conversions

February 1966 – HMS Cumberland

April 1966 – HMS Fearless

June 1966 – Various Four-Stackers

November 1966 – RAN Leander Class Cruisers

January 1967 – Commonwealth Tribal Class Destroyers

March 1967 – HMS Devonshire

April 1967 – Weapon Class Destroyers

June 1967 – County Class Cruiser HMS London

July 1967 – Displaying Warships on a Sea Base

September 1967 – J to N Destroyers

October 1967 – In The Air – HMS Eagle

November 1967 – HMS Daring Conversions

January 1968 – HMS Warspite Conversions

June 1968 – H Class Destroyers

July 1969 – Battle Class Destroyers

October 1969 – Flower Class Corvettes

November 1969 – O to Z Class Destroyers (Part One)

December 1969 – O to Z Class Destroyers (Part Two)

March 1970 – Flags For Warship Models

April 1970 – HMS Blake Helicopter Cruiser Conversion

June 1970 – Fire Control (Part One)

July 1970 – HMS Ariadne

September 1970 – Fire Control (Part Two)

November 1970 – Detailing HMS Leander

November 1970 – HMS Sussex Feature

December 1970 – Fire Control (Part Three)

January 1971 – Hunt Class Destroyers (Part One)

January 1971 – Motorising HMS Iron Duke

February 1971 – Hunt Class Destroyers (Part Two)

March 1971 – Soviet Sea Power

June 1971 – River Class Frigates (Part One)

July 1971 – River Class Frigates (Part Two)

November 1971 – Black Swan Sloops (Part One)

December 1971 – Black Swan Sloops (Part Two)

March 1972 – HMS Eagle Feature

August 1972 – Algerine Class Minesweepers

September 1972 – Motorising the Airfix Vosper Motor Torpedo Boat

October 1972 – Twin-Screw Motorised Airfix Vosper Motor Torpedo Boat

October 1974 – HMS Hood Detailing

October 1975 – HMS Amazon Detailing

February 1976 – HMS Apollo Detailing

April 1976 – HMS Devonshire Detailing

May 1976 – Lutjens Class Destroyers

August 1976 – HMS Dido

February 1977 – City Class Conversions

May 1977 – Australian Leander and Arethusa Cruisers

June 1977 – HMS Hotspur Feature

July 1977 – Ikara Leander Photo Feature

October 1977 – HMS Suffolk Photo Feature

January 1978 – Exocet Warship Photo Feature

March 1978 – Fiji, Swiftsure and Tiger Class Cruisers

April 1978 – HMS Achilles and Diomede Photo Feature

April 1978 – HMS Ajax Feature

May 1978 – RAN Perth Class DDGs

June 1978 – County Class Cruisers

August 1978 – Royal Naval Coastal Forces (Part One)

October 1978 – Queen Elizabeth Class Battleships

November 1978 – Royal Naval Coastal Forces (Part Four)

January 1979 – HMS Manxman as Minesweeper Support Ship

March 1979 – HMS Manxman Conversions

September 1979 – USS Forrestal Conversions

November 1979 – Detailing the RAF High Speed Launch

December 1979 – A to I Class Destroyers

January 1980 – Converting USS Forrestal to USS Enterprise

January 1980 – HMS Bulwarks New Air Group

February 1980 – MGB43

April 1980 – Exocet Destroyers and Frigates

May 1980 – RAF High Speed Launch

June 1980 – HMS Invincible Feature

June 1980 – USS Saipan Feature

September 1980 – BPBC 63ft Motor Anti-Submarine Boat

October 1980 – Spanish Cruisers Baleares and Canarias

November 1980 – Bismarck to Tirpitz

January 1981 – Detailing USS Atlanta

March 1981 – L and M Class Destroyers

April 1981 – HMS Invincible 1925

July 1981 – The Modern Submarine Service (Part One)

August 1981 – The Modern Submarine Service (Part One)

August 1981 – USS Prinz Eugen

September 1981 – The Modern Submarine Service (Part Three)

October 1981 – The Modern Submarine Service (Part Four)

November 1981 – HMS Hood 1920

December 1981 – HMS Hood 1931

January 1982 – Cat and Cathedral Class Frigates

January 1982 – HMS Hood 1941

March 1982 – Admiral Class Battleships

April 1982 – USS Forrestals Escort Destroyers

May 1982 – British Battlecruisers (Part One)

June 1982 – British Battlecruisers (Part Two)

July 1982 – HMS Invincible Scratch-Build

September 1982 – British Battlecruisers (Part Three)

November 1982 – HMS Alliance Submarine Museum

November 1982 – Scratch-Building USS Ohio (SSBN)

December 1982 – HMS St George

January 1983 – British Battlecruisers (Part Four)

February 1983 – HMS Hood in Later Days

April 1983 – Battleship Life

May 1983 – American Battlecruisers

June 1983 – Surcouf

July 1983 – SMS Ostfriesland

August 1983 – HMS Repulse 1936

September 1983 – Sinking of the Roma

March 1983 – British Battlecruisers (Part Five)

November 1983 – HMS Exeter Past And Present

November 1988 – Airfix Afloat – Waterline Models

January 1991 – Vosper MTB

OctoberNovember 1993 – Devonshire in Detail

Airfix Magazine Annual 1 – The Ark Royal III Story

Airfix Magazine Annual 2 – Radar in the Royal Navy

Airfix Magazine Annual 3 – HMS Ark Royal IV and her Aircraft

Airfix Magazine Annual 5 – Modelling HMS Rodney

Airfix Magazine Annual 6 – HMS Campbeltown at St Nazaire

Airfix Magazine Guide 7 – Battle Class Destroyers

Airfix Magazine Guide 7 – Detailing HMS Daring

Airfix Magazine Guide 7 – Detailing HMS Leander

Airfix Magazine Guide 7 – Warship Flags

 

Dave

 

Thanks for all those. 

 

It was this one

 

January 1980 – Converting USS Forrestal to USS Enterprise

 

That I was referring to in the Otaki / Arii / Microace / Kagnam / Academy / 1:600 USS Enterprise Thread so good to know exactly what issue it was instead of having to look through a number of things issues to find it. 

 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 hours ago, davecov said:

I did one of those over forty five years ago!

........You can also see a HMS Tiger conversion, an Exocet-armed HMS Antrim and HMS Sheffield conversion from HMS Belfast.

Hi Dave,

 

lots to see there and the Kiev class has my attention; who produced it and what scale?

 

In 1981 I also had ideas about building some of those Airfix kits, my inspiration being these.....

spacer.png

 

 

 

spacer.png

 

 

spacer.png

 

spacer.png

 

 

spacer.png

 

 

spacer.png

 

But it wasn't long after that events changed and we were too busy to do any modelling for a while!

 

Mike

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Gidday, as this thread has broadened out I'd like to add another two bob's worth if I may. As you may know my preference is for 1/600 WW2 vintage warships, and most of my models are Airfix. Unfortunately most of the smaller ships are almost impossible to get in my part of the world now, but if you have some in your stash here's a few conversions that I've done:

 

HMS Ajax to HMAS Perth (nee Amphion)

HMS Ajax to HMS Penelope

HMS Ajax to HMS York

HMS Ajax to HMS Ulysses ( Bellona class whiff)

Rommel to HMAS Perth II

Z28 to Z25 (Narvik class)

Z28 to Z31 (ditto)

HMS Campbeltown OOB to HMS Campbeltown (Operation Chariot)

HMS Campbeltown to HMS Montgomery

HMS Hood OOB to HMS Hood May 1941

HMS Tiger/Belfast to HMS Jamaica

HMS Manxman to HMS Welshman

HMS Hotspur OOB to HMS Hotspur modified for escort duty

HMS Hotspur to HMS Hardy (incomplete, on hold)

HMS Cossack to HMS Onslow (current build)

     plus a few whiffs

 

            Also a few ideas:

HMS Belfast to HMS Sheffield

HMS Warspite to R class battleship

HMS Warspite to HMS Eagle (carrier)

HMS Repulse to HMS Glorious (carrier)

HMS Cossack to a number of other destroyers

HMS Daring to HMAS Vampire or Vendetta

HMS Daring to HMAS Anzac or Tobruk (Battle class)

HMS Suffolk to HMAS Australia II

      plus the more modern conversions mentioned in earlier posts, and still more whiffs

 

I think we're only limited by our imaginations and the availability of kits.

 

Regards, Jeff.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, bootneck said:
23 hours ago, davecov said:

 

Hi Dave,

 

lots to see there and the Kiev class has my attention; who produced it and what scale

Hi Mike, it was the Aoshima 1/700 Minsk from 1979: - https://www.scalemates.com/kits/aoshima-130-ussr-aircraft-carrier-minsk--241666#

 

Dave

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...