FAA builds, 32nd Hawker Nimrod ,Seafire now finished, Malta Sea Gladiator now underway.

8 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

More progress on the Seafire too

Faded EDSG drybrushed on using these old knackered Humbrol brushes.

This is the camouflage toolkit.

spacer.png

The Seafire, I have faded the leading edge a bit more as I watched a documentary on you tube some time ago and they polished the leading edges to get more speed.

spacer.png

Thanks for looking in

Chris

Seafire is looking so smooth - and done with those well-worn brushes - Amazing

Chris

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

Chuffed with this one, not bad for a 56 Yr old original vehicle.

I should say - beautifully clean floor pan and that's a damn' good finish - what paint are you using?

9 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

they polished the leading edges to get more speed

Interesting! I should think a polish with ultra fine MicroMesh would work well after the final matt clear coat.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Cookenbacher said:

That's a great dry-brushed fading effect Chris - now to try and wear out some Humbrol brushes...

Thanks Cookie, I keep a lot of old knackered brushes and use some for camouflage painting and some for  weathering, they only get thrown away when really knackered.  😃 Good luck wearing out some brushes .

Chris

• Like 3

1 hour ago, CJP said:

Seafire is looking so smooth - and done with those well-worn brushes - Amazing

Chris

Thanks Chris, The brushes are very handy for various paint effects.  They make for a very smooth finish.

7 minutes ago, 2996 Victor said:

I should say - beautifully clean floor pan and that's a damn' good finish - what paint are you using?

Interesting! I should think a polish with ultra fine MicroMesh would work well after the final matt clear coat.

Thanks Mark, the paint is an acrylic paint mixed for me at a local motor factor's, it does spray very nicely from the can. There are 6 primer coats and 4 top coats on .  I am so pleased I did it when I have as leaving longer would have meant so much more work, floors have been stripped and will now be painted.

Good idea re the polished leading edge thanks Mark.

Will see what sanding sticks I have. 

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, bigbadbadge said:

Will see what sanding sticks I have

I've got some MicroMesh cloth-backed "abrasive" which works really well on curved surfaces. Actually, I need to get some more as it's getting so worn out..... :D 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, 2996 Victor said:

I've got some MicroMesh cloth-backed "abrasive" which works really well on curved surfaces. Actually, I need to get some more as it's getting so worn out..... :D 

Thanks Mark will look out for some of that, going out in the garage again now to work on the car, exciting stuff.

Thanks

Chris

• Like 2

Just done a bit of a catch up. You've been busy! Nice work on the Spitfire, Beaufighter and Seafire. Hope you are over your abdominal issues too...

Regards,

Adrian

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, 2996 Victor said:

I need to get some more as it's getting so worn out..... :D 

Apparently, according to Chris and his brushes, that's when it's at its best....!!  🤣

4 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

they only get thrown away when really knackered.

When's that then - when they're down to the metal....??!! :rofl2:

Absolutely amazing you can do anything with those things!

Keith

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, AliGauld said:

Nice work on the seafire chris,

The 1:1 job looks pretty good too.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair,  really pleased with them all, top coats going on the 1:1 model now just having a break, doing them wet on wet. Oooerrr missus 😉

3 hours ago, AdrianMF said:

Just done a bit of a catch up. You've been busy! Nice work on the Spitfire, Beaufighter and Seafire. Hope you are over your abdominal issues too...

Regards,

Adrian

Thanks Adrian,  pleasedxwith them all, glad to get the 2nd Beau done now too, looking forward to some Biplanes now. Yes thank you, I had a urinry infection and thankfully it has gone after antibiotics.  I am on A/L again trying to get the car done, the old classic that is.

2 hours ago, keefr22 said:

Apparently, according to Chris and his brushes, that's when it's at its best....!!  🤣

When's that then - when they're down to the metal....??!! :rofl2:

Absolutely amazing you can do anything with those things!

Keith

😄 The brushes really work well for fading camouflage , use the thinner ones for the edges and the bigger one to infill and drybrush the panel centres for that faded look.

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 3
  • Haha 2

On 26/03/2024 at 09:01, bigbadbadge said:

Chuffed with this one, not bad for a 56 Yr old original vehicle.

With an owner not far behind 🤣

Nice work...

• Haha 3

Sheesh, Chris your work is sooooo beautiful. Beaufighter and Seafire are gorgeous... the colours, tone, tidy work. I'd really like to improve my aesthetic skills. Do I need to climb a mountain to visit a Zen master? Or slay a dragon to get an enchanted brush? 😛  

• Haha 4

8 hours ago, Dunny said:

With an owner not far behind 🤣

Nice work...

😄 thanks Roger, I feel older sometimes🙄

5 hours ago, marvinneko said:

Sheesh, Chris your work is sooooo beautiful. Beaufighter and Seafire are gorgeous... the colours, tone, tidy work. I'd really like to improve my aesthetic skills. Do I need to climb a mountain to visit a Zen master? Or slay a dragon to get an enchanted brush? 😛  

Thanks David 😄 I like that, a Zen Master or an enchanted brush, brilliant :rofl2:

Definitely go for the enchanted brush as the Zen Master is just mean!!!

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 1
  • Haha 5

Hi all

A bit more progress on the Seafire, I forgot to add the painted over roundels so they were added and then decals added.  The decals were very thin and once in place settled down well,  but are a bit see through look st the underside roundel.

There are no stencils at all so had to source the main ones from decal spares.

spacer.png

spacer.png

Will gloss over the decals and get a wash on in the next few days. Although I am on A big push to get the 1:1 car complete and back on the road.

Thanks for looking in.

Chris

• Like 14

Chris,

The Seafire is looking lovely - good job on the overpainted roundels!

Cheers,

Roger

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Dunny said:

Chris,

The Seafire is looking lovely - good job on the overpainted roundels!

Cheers,

Roger

Thanks Roger, I am pleased they are done, don't tell anyone , but I forgot to add those 🙄

21 minutes ago, CJP said:

Seafire is looking good Chris -your display case must be getting full mate!

Chris

Thanks Chris, pleased with it.  Still got room for a few more yet, although lots of FAA models still to do, might have to get creative eventually.

Thanks guys

Chris

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, AliGauld said:

excellent progress on the Seafire Chris.

Popping off to the Beau RFI now.

Cheers,

Alistair

Thanks Alistair,  very kind, hopefully might be able to get a wash on later.

Chris

• Like 1

I am thinking of putting the Seafire on hold as I am having issues getting a wash to stay in the panel lines as I am with the Nomad too and I really cannot be bothered to rescribe a built kit with decals on ,so to save Mojo levels, I am  thinking of abandoning this build for the time being, sorry to anyone looking forward to this.

Chris

• Sad 5

So sorry to hear that, Chris, but frustration is a real mojo-sapper. This Seafire and the Nomad are absolutely superb, and it would be a such a shame to undo all your fabulous work. I'm sure you'll overcome the issues with the wash soon!

Cheers,

Mark

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

14 hours ago, bigbadbadge said:

I am thinking of putting the Seafire on hold as I am having issues getting a wash to stay in the panel lines

Do you think it actually needs a panel line wash Chris? It looks really good to me as it is and a good matt coat may just finish it off nicely, especially with some minor pastel weathering?

I'm not far off finishing the 72nd Seafire 1b that Mark @2996 Victor kindly sent me (& apologies Mark for the time it's taking, been spending too much time playing with my car models :) ) & I recently gave that a panel line wash. I know it's a smaller scale but tbh afterwards I think I may have overdone it & it would have been better without....

Just a thought.

Keith

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1