Little Gransden Air and Car Show 2019

My wife and I spent a very hot afternoon at Little Gransden for the annual Children in Need show.

Unfortunately, there were a couple of notable late cancellations and the extremely high temperatures might have deterred some visitors because it did not seem as busy as previous years.

Compared to Clacton, the displays were generally as close to the crowd as regulations permit.

The show was very nearly delayed due to a woman accidentally transmitting drivel on the air show frequency. A few pleas over the public address system embarrassed her into releasing the PTT!

The Bell 47 pilot was hover-taxying as the DH.88 Comet was displaying and was told that he was encroaching the display area, whereupon he returned to his parking spot.

The Hurricane was beautifully flown and it was lovely to see the Yale, but my favourite display was definitely the Mustang with lots of whistling top-side passes!

And now for the inevitable excuses - the sun and the heat-haze made photography very tricky!

dw5j0TvLTjLgrn2SYf3pLdnvKp9rqZ1J07TNY7um

RoII-G7hCejzuX7nj4x3X2nF6VnP_eWxJECZVwM5

Yl5T7Y5k0oQBd2NrIHT_oGW8KP6g2fOrgJEjQb2H

hhxwWGHQUqkFpdOVMJE9nfRWAQljtrhIjzwVN3Ay

2X61FVEzKbm8FXum70Kdt7hvAy_qtJ2n8I0yBxUI

sSR2OcCKT_y5nv1szqwb6yUnV6xgtmcFJmdFvnfb

LMD2HQDxtVoCoN_RdIxPnVGGGIOp2hEZE4ankHZ_

kPfvDh1nCOGTbx6pHb5knQUkpXVzcci4sdlw-YwA

2ls-MSYH0RMaWHCDLNIwTgYBsGQdF_6z4c2NNgw8

oZQlZOkawSx9uzMfBAXW8394TX-Ol6AsDW8aU0SX

zvEPLv-ft4yOqeroXoaSrC3Irwx2gOuc4S8uZDaD

KylR3u6jR2CKjehDRIWTAbb5CSYPYBxoCSHcdwGb

Naz9ASwji75epNa25CUj0WJWM_bUXCiDNZxzTwuq

Z0TGJy_pDydJFbICollRy9IcfgUA28uiFCgXgwyF

W8gbebKMgk00AWODkXdrjyFXUXR87RnMrFrHRkkW

5D-reSsgZJkdXi6lfj-y9_iD6bcPNi6gpYMQhA6p

z03FqkTDkedlgMBSJEPLMBCGu3xQnLKuBR16V3Se

U6vhfXrxGe6CmozH7V1DbrSyZ5v1Pl27hRa_GrJK

pk_0k9MIOF_D8aPqxbxmY8tgUEIrdLmQT54uRTa7

Thanks for looking.

• Like 23
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Gooney Fan said:

Good morning

That looks like a proper airshow  i.e No jets

Thanks for posting your pictures

Gooney Fan

Hi Gooney Fan. I'm pleased you liked the pictures. I must confess that I'm rather partial to some fast jet action as well as warbirds!

3 hours ago, John R said:

Nice collection of pictures with that unusual blue backdrop...not seen many of those this year.

Thanks John. The blue backdrop caused me a few photographic problems, but the ice cream vendors must have been delighted!

58 minutes ago, Parabat said:

Super pictures again, thanks for sharing. Great pics of the Hurricane and the Mustang. A shame the Tigers couldn't get a bigger flag! 

Thanks for the kind words, Parabat. I was really hoping to see the Ultimate Fighters, but unfortunately they did not show.

The Hurricane display was beautiful, and I had never seen this airframe before, but as I said above, the Mustang display was outstanding!

As for The Tigers flag, I don't think they have an identity crisis - or do they?

On 8/27/2019 at 11:17 AM, Latinbear said:

The colours stand out beautifully against the blue sky. Makes a nice change from grey aeroplanes against a grey sky! The chap in the paramotor must have had a wonderful time. Ta for sharing these. 

Thanks Latinbear. One of my friends shares your view about grey on grey! I'm pleased you enjoyed the images. 

1 hour ago, canberraman said:

Lovely shots as ever. Particularly like the Chippy formation and the Beech..

Regards

Mark

Thanks for the kind words, Mark.

My wife and I enjoyed the show, but members of a certain other aviation website seemed to be quite critical. The display line had definitely moved further away since my last visit, but it is intended to be a family event for charity, so I'm prepared to cut them some slack!

Charming shots there Alpha Delta - and what a great selection of aircraft. Hats off to Little Gransden!

(I get a bit biased - Any airshow that has a Harvard/Yale/Texan gets my vote.:) - Chipmunks look good too)

• Like 1

A great line up at what looked like it was a fun show, super weather & super photos to go with it. I'm struggling with the streamer tower in the 2nd photo, I'm wanting to say Citabria but googling isn't showing anything that matches. Any idea what it is?

Steve.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Pinback said:

Charming shots there Alpha Delta - and what a great selection of aircraft. Hats off to Little Gransden!

(I get a bit biased - Any airshow that has a Harvard/Yale/Texan gets my vote.:) - Chipmunks look good too)

Thanks very much for the kind words, Pinback. I have been to the show several times over the years, generally in the rain, so the extreme temperature this year was somewhat alien!

5 hours ago, stevehnz said:

A great line up at what looked like it was a fun show, super weather & super photos to go with it. I'm struggling with the streamer tower in the 2nd photo, I'm wanting to say Citabria but googling isn't showing anything that matches. Any idea what it is?

Steve.

Hi Steve. I'm glad you enjoyed my record of the event. I really enjoyed the gentle display with the incredibly long streamer. I wasn't familiar with the type either, but research has shown it to be a 1946 Aeronca 7AC Champion, registration G-ATHK.

• Thanks 1

OUTSTANDING  array of photos.

Beautiful  shots indeed... STUNNINGLY GIRGEOUS warbirds.

:yahoo:

thank you..

{those who moaned about things while attending shows ARE LUCKY  to get to go unlike some of us...who have to miss gazillion events....}.

• Like 1

An excellent show and excellent photos.

One tip - when you shoot objects against blue screen, the idea is to replace the blue with a believable background - some heavy clouds would be appropriate, perhaps? 

🤣😁;)

• Haha 2

23 hours ago, HOUSTON said:

OUTSTANDING  array of photos.

Beautiful  shots indeed... STUNNINGLY GIRGEOUS warbirds.

:yahoo:

thank you..

{those who moaned about things while attending shows ARE LUCKY  to get to go unlike some of us...who have to miss gazillion events....}.

Thank you for the kind words, Houston. 

Ais shows are certainly not what they used to be, but I know that we are still lucky to enjoy the shows that others can only dream of!

23 hours ago, bhouse said:

An excellent show and excellent photos.

One tip - when you shoot objects against blue screen, the idea is to replace the blue with a believable background - some heavy clouds would be appropriate, perhaps? 

🤣😁;)

Thanks very much, bhouse. I hoped that you wouldn't notice my cunning plan! 

• Like 2