F-86F-30 Sabre, 67th FBS, 18th FBG, Korea

1 hour ago, Terry1954 said:

Why am I never bored watching a Sabre build..............

Nice progress Stuart.

Cheers Terry. I do wonder sometimes if modellers get fed up with a certain subject but it seems not. We like, what we like.

55 minutes ago, giemme said:

Indeed, nice progress Stuart :clap: Closing up the fuselage halves is always a relevant milestone in a kit build - to me at least :goodjob:

Thanks Giorgio. One milestone of many.

Stuart

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Courageous said:

Cheers Terry. I do wonder sometimes if modellers get fed up with a certain subject but it seems not. We like, what we like.

Thanks Giorgio. One milestone of many.

Stuart

I’m sitting quietly in the corner observing while my Sabre (a Fujimi) comes together ;). I have a few Academys in the pile too so all useful stuff.

Martin

Edited by RidgeRunner
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

Sabre (a Fujimi)

I think my next Sabre build will be a Fujimi kit, an RF-86F, haven't built a Fujimi Sabre as yet, so will be interesting to how different it is.

2 hours ago, limeypilot said:

As far as modelling goes, they're not, but good modelling is!

Thanks for the compliment Ian, and I know what you mean.

Stuart

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, Courageous said:
5 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I think my next Sabre build will be a Fujimi kit, an RF-86F, haven't built a Fujimi Sabre as yet, so will be interesting to how different it is.

Well, I think you will enjoy the experience, Stuart, although as far as I can see the process of construction is much like the Academy. It is probably my personal view but I think it has the edge over the Academy on refinement. There's not a lot between them, though. The main things that troubles me every time, and I've built six now, is the lower wing and the alignment of the centre section. You need to file down the inner faces of the wheel wells in order to get the correct fit. If not you will end up without any dihedral, as I did for my first few. Always fit the lower section and then tailor the uppers by chamfering the faces of the fuselage-wing joint.good luck with it! :)

Martin

Still trying to shift this stinking cold and forgot to post a little update on Friday.

20190930-123056-1.jpg

Fuselage stuck together and now the wings are on. Time now to clean up the joins with the usual mix of fillers, sanding, you know the routine.

Stuart

• Like 8

3 hours ago, Courageous said:

Still trying to shift this stinking cold and forgot to post a little update on Friday.

20190930-123056-1.jpg

Fuselage stuck together and now the wings are on. Time now to clean up the joins with the usual mix of fillers, sanding, you know the routine.

Stuart

Just noticed that the kit seems to lack the prominent intake/vent panel that's a feature of F-86Fs (fuselage top, just where the fin blends with the fuselage). Should be easy enough to add from thin plastic card. Or is it just the lighting? Highlighted in red below:

xx

Edited by Sabrejet
  • Like 3

Behind the panel you're talking about there's a saddle piece like an upside down boat hull. 

That is aluminium, isn't it? 

Just that it looks quite different to the surrounding metalwork in that picture, and similar to the fin-top plastic type fitting.. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, giemme said:

Looking good! :clap:

Take care, I hope you get better soon :thumbsup2:

Cheers Giorgio.

40 minutes ago, Sabrejet said:

lack the prominent intake/vent panel that's a feature of F-86Fs

Sorry Duncan, you've lost me. I've been looking through lots of books to see what you're referring and all I can see is that little square vent on the spine forward of the fin and I have one of them. Do you have a pick of the vent and put me out of my torment? Don't forget, this is a field modified '-E to F30.

5 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Behind the panel you're talking

...a picture paints a thousand words to this 'duffer'.

Stuart

• Like 1

Stuart,

You're modelling an F-86F-30, which was field-modified with a 6-3 wing; it never was an E. The combined intake/vent panel is circled here: it's aft of the central vent hole and has two small triangular inlets either side (where it avoids the exit of the central vent; and then two flat duct outlets at the rear edge, either side of the ventral fin. It's a defining feature of all F-86Fs and not seen on other versions:

xxx

• Like 4
  • Thanks 2

Before i forgot...

20191001-130320-1.jpg

The mentioned vent was fitted. A little PPP was applied to the sides and the central front and rear sections, avoiding the intake/ exhausts left/ right of centre.

Stuart

Edited by Courageous
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Courageous said:

Before i forgot...

20191001-130320-1.jpg

The mentioned vent was fitted. A little PPP was applied to the sides and the central front and rear sections, avoiding the intake/ exhausts left/ right of centre.

Stuart

Get in! I hadn't realised that this kit missed that part: even the old Heller 1/72 kit made an effort in that area. So it's kind of an F-86E-and-a-half, since it doesn't have the side vents and has the 6-3 wing. 

• Like 2

On 10/2/2019 at 1:23 PM, giemme said:

Feels good when you get to this point, doesn't it? :thumbsup:

It definitely does Giorgio.

1 hour ago, Goatdriver said:

any suggestions on which is more appropriate, their Aluminum or Airframe Aluminum or ?

Sorry Mr G, I have never used Alclad, so can't comment but others have and may come along enlighten you. I myself initially used Humbrol Metalcoat but never got on with it, mainly due to my own ineptitude most likely. For my last few NMF Sabres, I've been using Tamiya's AS-12, my Sabres here. For the purists, I most probably should be using Alclad but I wanted consistency across my NMF Sabres when they're parked alongside each other, so AS-12 it is, for me anyway.

Not much to report. Friday was spent making good the panel lines and general clean, with another splash of primer. Still some very tiny bits I've missed.

Stuart

• Like 1

Can't really help with paint selection @Goatdriveras I tend to work with foil.

But one characteristic on the F86 airframe, and others, is the variations in the metal appearance, most notably the wing centre sections. 

Different grades of Ali make a difference in the look, whether you think of it as metal "colour" or reflectiveness. 

That's definitely worth trying to achieve, which ever method you use to do it 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, rob Lyttle said:

Can't really help with paint selection @Goatdriveras I tend to work with foil.

But one characteristic on the F86 airframe, and others, is the variations in the metal appearance, most notably the wing centre sections. 

Different grades of Ali make a difference in the look, whether you think of it as metal "colour" or reflectiveness. 

That's definitely worth trying to achieve, which ever method you use to do it 

@Goatdriver I'd say, if nothing else, do as Rob says and get the wing section on top of the wings a contracting NMF shade. The other things, in my view but happy to be corrected, is to get the gun plate (surrounding the gun ports) in a darker NMF shade, and more relective (I think). Otherwise, as I've encountered with my current build there is very little variation. You could make the various small opening "hatches" in a different shade too. Like Stuart I am not an Alclad user so can't advise on the Alclad shades. Sorry.

Martin