F-86F-30 Sabre, 67th FBS, 18th FBG, Korea

Hi Guys,

With the completion of the Seafoxes, I thought it was about time for another Sabre, namely a fighter-bomber variant from the 67th FBS, 18th FBG in Korea. The plan is to represent this aircraft (as good as any) from Ospreys 'F-86 Sabre Fighter-Bomber Units Over Korea' reference book.

20190814-222612.jpg

Having already built a small number of early Sabres, I don't envisage much in the way of problems as I haven't got to worry about back dating the wings. So this is a 6-3 wing, so I've got to check the wing fence position is correct and being a FB, will have to get my bomb and tank pylons correct. These birds could carry a 1000lb or two 500lb bombs, so I need to check if their was a dedicated wing for the 1000lb'er? Paint job is NMF with a pretty black/ red/ NMF nose. Decals shouldn't be any problem really except the 67th Sqn badge:

20190222-213931.jpg

Fortunately, a model buddy has fixed the skew and stuff and resized it for 1/72 but yet to print the decal.

Kit of choice for this build is the Academy F-86F, No. 1629, if you're interested.

This is a prequel and will be a slow start as I also want to get my SH-2 on my works bench.

Any comments are welcome.

Stuart

• Like 8

I would like to follow along, I have the Airfix sabre in my stash which I have been looking at for a while. I have to confess, though, to being a bit confused with all the talk of corrections to wings etc, that I've seen on other Sabre threads. Looking forward to seeing this develop.

• Like 1

So, you have been to the Sabre wine cellar and selected another to build. I can't miss this one can I? Excellent choice of subject, and interesting for me to watch how the Academy one builds.

Looking forward to this one.

Terry

16 minutes ago, clive_t said:

Looking forward to seeing this develop.

Welcome aboard Clive. I personally don't get bogged with the minutiae of the Sabre wings. If you have a photo of the intended, work from that and you can't go much wrong.

10 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

I can't miss this one can I?

You're right, you can't, welcome aboard Terry. This kit was my last Sabre purchase and happened to be within easy reach, didn't even need to get off my bum.

Stuart

• Haha 1

Nice. 

We love Sabres!! 

Sounds like you've got the emblem details sorted already, but I've got the item on a 1.48 sheet, if it's any help for truing up. 

IMG_20190816_001302

I'm just having a bit of practice on the Italieri F86E in 1.48 and getting the slats and flaps deployed. 

There's a scary amount of data and details about the F86 wing variations and pylon positions. 

I admire the commitment to detail but tend to keep my head down and just enjoy the kit! 

• Like 1

Stuart,

I will sit at the back with the rest of the rowdies and watch this one with great interest! Can't have too many fighter-bomber Sabres!  Are you sure you won't reconsider? You do know that the -30 Sabre could carry a 1,000lb bomb on each inner pylon, right? Asymmetical loadouts are pretty neat, though!

Mike

http://www.flyingfiendsinkoreanwar.com/Home page.htm

Edited by 72modeler
added text
  • Like 2

7 hours ago, Johnv said:

Excellent choice in aircraft. Will be watching this develop!---John

Welcome aboard John, you like Sabres too.

6 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

I admire the commitment to detail but tend to keep my head down and just enjoy the kit! 

Horses for courses Rob, I sit between the two. As a matter of interest, what's the size of those 1/48 emblems, just want to make sure my 1/72 ones measure up?

4 hours ago, 72modeler said:

You do know that the -30 Sabre could carry a 1,000lb bomb on each inner pylon, right? Asymmetical loadouts are pretty neat, though!

You are correct but IIRC, the total bomb load is 1000lbs; one 1000lb'er or two 500lb'ers? There's a bit of work to be done before we get to that 'old chestnut'.

Stuart

2 hours ago, Courageous said:

what's the size of those 1/48 emblems,

They're precisely 12mm both ways, or just a fraction under 1/2 inch. 

So my calculations suggest 8mm in 1.72 scale. Best check that 

The flyingfiends site there has some great photo refs, and does include a captioned picture of a 2X 1000lb loaded Sabre. That's pretty impressive! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Scroll down the left side to "photo galleries". All the contributers pics and slides are in there. 

Darned if I can find the one with the 2X bomb load though. Its in there somewhere, two ground crew kneeling beside their handiwork 

Scroll down the left side to "photo galleries". All the contributers pics and slides are in there. 

Darned if I can find the one with the 2X bomb load though. Its in there somewhere, two ground crew kneeling beside their handiwork 

In case you didn't hear me the first time...! 

🙇‍♀️🤦‍♀️🤷‍♀️

• Haha 1

Duncan,

As always you are the Sabre savant! I knew the -30 could carry two 1,000lb bombs, at least that's what my pitiful F-86 reference library references had, but it never hurts to hear it from somebody else. I have seen photos of 8th FBG Sabres with the old. high-drag WW2 era 1,000 pounders as well as the more streamlined versions. The late Col. Woodrow Wilmot, 8th C.O,. had photos and a big wooden scale model of his Sabre, the oft-photographed 'Miss Teena' at his home with two 1,000lb bombs on the inner pylons- I will be doing that Sabre in 1/48 someday, as I have the markings and want to pay tribute to the man, who not only was a great fighter pilot, he taught me to water ski! I got to sit in the cockpit of her at Itazuke AB when I was in the 2nd grade with his helmet on...gotta locate that color slide one of these days! I'm sure I speak for all of us when I say how much we all appreciate your sharing your incredible references with the rest of us minor leaguers!

Mike

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, 72modeler said:

Duncan,

When did early E's like 50-579 you posted the photo of have the angled windscreen replaced with the flat paneled version?

Mike

First flat-screen F-86E was F-86E-10 s/n 51-2718.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 hours ago, rob Lyttle said:

Have you found it yet :fraidnot:

Thanks @Sabrejet for the conformation on bomb loads, just need to pop across to another thread where you showed the hard point stations.

5 hours ago, RidgeRunner said:

I'm following too!

Welcome aboard Martin, pick-up what ever you can.

4 hours ago, mdauben said:

I'll be curious to see how you Academy version goes together.  

Welcome aboard.

Stuart

http://flyingfiendsinkoreanwar.com/photogallery/Photo Gallery.htm/07-53_Pat's bird with 1000 lb. bombs_Jul 53.jpg

This is the one! 

Thought it appropriate to to do it as a link. It's under "Flick Henderson's Slides" under July 53.

Some great ref material on here. 

Must admit, there's a lot of slatted leading edge planes featuring. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

And so it begins, albeit slowly.

20190820-125744-1.jpg

Pic could have been better but ho-hum. Collection of cockpit bits, one teeny-weeny bit has already gone walkabout.

As we're talking cockpits and with @Sabrejet posting the original air frame, would the modification to a -30 be done whilst in theatre? If this is so, the cockpit would have remained the original black?

Stuart

• Like 3