1/48 Hasegawa F-4F JG71 'Richthofen'. Finished 28/08

DaveJL

Hello all,

Here is my entry for this GB - Hasegawa's 1/48 F-4F. I'll be marking this as a machine from Jagdgeschwader 71 (JG 71) 'Richthofen' during the mid 2000's. 

Kit:

48121693402_e12f281fef_b.jpg

48121599921_e586d05667_b.jpg

Extras:

48121632713_f49e800281_b.jpg

I'll be using Quickboost seats, Eduard Etch, Steel Beach FOD covers, Royal Resin unslotted stabilisers, Master brass pitot tube, New Ware masks, Aeromaster stenils, Airdoc decals (in the red coloured bag), Academy AIM-120s (from an F-15 kit) and Hasegawa AIM-9s.

Something like this is what I'm going for:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/markmcewan/38817424764

I'll be loading it up with 4x AIM-9s, 3x AIM-120s, 3x fuel tanks and an AN/ALQ -184 ECM pod.

Been wanting to do this for a while so looking forward to starting.

Dave

• Like 6

really a good choice!

are you going to use kit decals as well?

I am searching decals for the latest (this one;)  scheme for quite some time... I have a Revell boxing somewhere..... wonder how good those are!

• 5 weeks later...

Finally made a start on this one. All ordnance built up:

48366758481_31157ee48a_b.jpg

The AIM-120s are from an Academy F-15E and the AIM-9s are from a Revell F-15E (initially thought they were Hasegawa!) Wings were next and one thing I hate doing on Hasegawa F-4 kits is removing the lumps on the upper surfaces of the wings. Does anyone know what model of F-4 these were actually fitted to?

48366757301_bb52aff422_b.jpg

48366894527_ef5cced1ce_b.jpg

The small bits of filler on the upper surfaces were a few marks from being a bit over zealous with the saw. Pylons next, with some nice details from Eduard underneath. A very weak point of these kits is the raised lines on the pylons:

48366896022_3f403986e4_b.jpg

Cockpit tub with a few bits of etch added. Probably won't see them under paint anyway, but at least I know they're there:

48366893752_0464a00f5d_b.jpg

Fuselage halves with intakes fitted:

48366892947_08b43bd018_b.jpg

Will paint and detail the cockpit next.

Dave

• Like 4

18 hours ago, helios16v said:

Known as the "hard wing".  It was a change for the C/D for the USAF to allow the use of wider, lower pressure tires that were favored at the time, rather than those required (and designed for) by the USN.  Sounds like the wing could be found on early F-4Es as well, but even most of those were modified back to the "thinner" wing later on.

https://www.usaf-sig.org/index.php/reference/114-research-material/136-f-4-phantom-guide-for-the-masses-jay-chladek

Can I just ask for clarification about what part of the wing we're discussing? I imagine the 'thicker' part of the wing to accommodate the wider wheels is the part at the root where it meets the fuselage. Is the part that seems to often require removing on Hasegawa kits the small rectangular 'lump' roughly in the centre of the wing - as removed by Dave in the photo above? And what is that lump for exactly?

Edited by Filler

56 minutes ago, Filler said:

Can I just ask for clarification about what part of the wing we're discussing? I imagine the 'thicker' part of the wing to accommodate the wider wheels is the part at the root where it meets the fuselage. Is the part that seems to often require removing on Hasegawa kits the small rectangular 'lump' roughly in the centre of the wing - as removed by Dave in the photo above? And what is that lump for exactly?

Yeah, I was looking at the wing root...I see now that he was referring to something completely different.  That I have no clue and didn't see it mentioned in the brief search I did.   :shutup:

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, coneheadff said:

The small "bumps/lumps" were there due to the beefed up landing gear leg of the Navy Phantoms.

The legs were stronger to absorb the hard landings on the carriers

:lol:  Sounds like Hasegawa made a bit of a mess w/ the wings mixing bits of naval & USAF variants.  Ah well, nothing a little filing, filling, and sanding can't fix.  Good to know.

I'm going to have to go look through my stash and see what the wings look like on my various kits (have both naval & USAF variants).  I'm sure I'll need to do some research and leg work before I bust one of them out.  I'm not super critical when it comes to my models...but I would at least like to get the right wing/stab/nose configurations.

5 hours ago, Filler said:

And what is that lump for exactly?

Its a strengthening plate that prevented the main gear legs from going through the wing. The early "B's" started having issues from hard carrier landings. If memory serves the lumps were added in the J/N/S series.

Dennis

Edited by Corsairfoxfouruncle
  • Like 1

Thanks for that info. Seems they're on a lot of Hasegawa kits whether they're need or not. Not too tricky to remove though.

Thanks Alex and Dennis for the info!

25 minutes ago, Filler said:

Thanks for that info. Seems they're on a lot of Hasegawa kits whether they're need or not. Not too tricky to remove though.

I found them a bit tricky to get off :lol: 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, DaveJL said:

Thanks Alex and Dennis for the info!

I found them a bit tricky to get off :lol: 

I've done it once. In fact it's the only thing I've done on my Hasegawa F-4G. A good few years back and I actually can't remember it too well. I imagine I went for the surround with masking tape and furiously sand away technique. The problem for sure is doing it well enough that you'd never known they'd been there. And I confess, in truth everything in this hobby is at the very least tricky!! 

26 minutes ago, Filler said:

I've done it once. In fact it's the only thing I've done on my Hasegawa F-4G. A good few years back and I actually can't remember it too well. I imagine I went for the surround with masking tape and furiously sand away technique. The problem for sure is doing it well enough that you'd never known they'd been there. And I confess, in truth everything in this hobby is at the very least tricky!! 

I used a thin bladed Tamiya saw and cleaned up with sanding sticks. The plastic itself wasn’t too hard to get off, more so the location was tricky! Of course I made some scratches on the surrounding plastic!

More done. Cockpit was sprayed and detailed:

48406428616_6ddb5565d2_b.jpg

IPs with the lovely Eduard etch (though of course the grey doesn't match the Dark Gull Grey of the cockpit!)

48406430876_eaf445565d_b.jpg

48406580342_9db28590b0_b.jpg

Installed and fuselage closed. The join line between the halves will need a bit of a clean up.

48406429776_f724575876_b.jpg

48406579132_001318f059_b.jpg

Much, much easier to do with the kit parts than the Aires 'pits (had one nightmare with that on a previous build, never again :lol: ) The Royal Resin stabs were removed from their casting blocks, cleaned up and a small metal rod popped in to secure them to the fuselage:

48406427941_d4e6716e43_b.jpg

Will hopefully get the wings on and the fuselage join cleaned up tomorrow.

Dave

• Like 4

More done. Wings on, some filler required at the forward join, fuselage seams cleaned up and some other bits added:

48415764676_1b4309b013_b.jpg

48415763481_57b8c9df7d_b.jpg

48415762726_bf7320670d_b.jpg

Some etch added to the cockpit area and I popped on some spare bits of 'piping' running from the back of the WSO's IP:

48415917187_336b35e88f_b.jpg

Noticed after the pictures were taken that the etch antenna on the upper fuselage is too far forward, so this was stripped and relocated further back. There's a few more small bits to add and clean up but once that is done I'll be able to spray and mask up the remaining cockpit area before priming.

More soon.

Dave

• Like 5

Last few bits done. The etch HUD frame added along with an etch vent just aft of the nose cone.

48464935412_c4b4b7a8c2_b.jpg

48464934767_e5c3a5c8f1_b.jpg

Majority of sub assemblies (minus landing gear and exhausts) ready for the paint shop:

48464934202_7c70fff29f_b.jpg

The Steel Beach FOD inserts were replaced with examples from Phase Hanger Resin. I'm fairly busy with work for the next week or so, but hoping to at least get the cockpit coamings etc sprayed black before adding and masking up the canopies in the next few days.

Dave

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

Finally got back to this over the last few days after a busy spell at work. Sprayed and detailed the sub assemblies. A few of my reference photos show the AIM-9 pylons in a dark green colour so I went with that to add a bit of variation to the grey. Landing gear, FOD covers and exhausts all done as well:

48593415531_1172a81250_b.jpg

Quickboost seats:

48593414951_634d12733b_b.jpg

Ordnance and fuel tanks:

48593414276_1bbe49a7f7_b.jpg

Replaced the Revell AIM-9s with examples from a Tamiya F-14. All decals from the spares. I also noted from some references that the centre fuel tank could be heavily weathered, so that's what I went with. The airframe itself was primed and then I sprayed the landing gear wells, nose cone (flat gull grey) and all the metallic areas at the rear. All masked up and did some (very) rough pre-shading:

48593417201_3629e373b4_b.jpg

48593416576_2a95df2090_b.jpg

48593557137_bd59a7f462_b.jpg]

Will make a start on the airframe painting tomorrow.

More soon

Dave

• Like 3