1/48 Tamiya P-51D Mustang PTO

Hi all.

I finished this one over the weekend. Although getting on a bit the Tamiya Mustang is still a great model to build.

The only thing I don't like about the kit is the separate canopy glass and lower canopy frame. A false start with Alclad paints saw it stripped and then hit with trusty Tamiya rattle can silver. The other metals shades are Alclad. This is the 1/48 Tamiya P-51D Mustang with Lifelike Decals, Eduard fabric seatbelt and Barracuda oval tread wheels and tires. Built as 44-151103 flown by Col. Dick Rowland, CO 348 FG Luzon, Phillipines, early 1945.

Hope you like it.

Mick 

P-51_D_30_percent_1.jpg

P-51_D_30_percent_2.jpg

P-51_D_30_percent_4.jpg

P-51_D_30_percent_5.jpgP-51_D_30_percent_6.jpg

• Like 37
  • Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, Reini78 said:

turned out nice, good paintjob with the spinner :thumbsup:

I´m with you concerning the canopy..

Thanks Reni. The decal sheet does come with the red/yellow/stripes but I wasn't a fan of it as the yellow and red didn't *quite* match. I used the decal as a template to create masks for those colours and then mixed my won blue. I'm pretty happy with how it came out.

4 hours ago, Corsairfoxfouruncle said:

Nice looking Mustang :thumbsup:

Thanks Corsair.

Good looking Mustang on a very convincing base!

Minor quibbles: the wing surface on the full size machine would've been puttied, sanded down and painted silver, at least from the leading edge and up to the mainspar location, to make the most of the laminar flow profile. So, no 'panel joints' there. And the gun access hatch outline could've been marked on the port star'n'bar with the help of a 0.1mm dk gray marker pen, for example.

Nice modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

58 minutes ago, Buzby061 said:

Nice work & well recovered. 

Pete

Thanks Pete. The Alclad effort looked like it had fingerprints all over it.

1 hour ago, russ c said:

Very cool Pacific Mustang there, really nice work

Thanks Russ.

5 hours ago, PlaStix said:

Great looking Mustang! Very well done. :clap2:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix

10 hours ago, Spitfire31 said:

Good looking Mustang on a very convincing base!

Minor quibbles: the wing surface on the full size machine would've been puttied, sanded down and painted silver, at least from the leading edge and up to the mainspar location, to make the most of the laminar flow profile. So, no 'panel joints' there. And the gun access hatch outline could've been marked on the port star'n'bar with the help of a 0.1mm dk gray marker pen, for example.

Nice modelling!

Kind regards,

Joachim

Thanks Joachim

I know about the puttied wings but frankly I wasn't interested in the mess that puttying and sanding makes. The upper wing sans the flaps and gun access hatches was actually puttied, but that just depends on what diagram you look at. And regarding the 0.1 darg grey pen, no doubt a sharp knife would do the same job.

12 hours ago, Wonky Donkey said:

like it! Interesting scheme without being too gawdy.

Got one in the stash - don't usually do 1/48 except WWI stuff, but the P-51 is a favourite and the kit, as you say, is good quality.

Nice work, sir.

W-D

Thanks W-D.

57 minutes ago, opus999 said:

Nice looking Mustang! The color variation in the panels makes it look realistic and I am impressed with that spinner as well!

Thanks Opus. Yep, used the kit decal to make the masks to paint the spinner. It came out much better than the decal option.

Glad you like it.