Dragon Panther G 6268

Soeren

My first Dragon kit that I build and my second biuld overall since 25 years. Tried some weathering and obviously have it overdone in some instances. Painted freehand with the airbrush and then applied pinwash wiht Vallejo olive. After the decals came on it was a go on Oil Dot filters. And finally the Pigments on the tracks. I wasnot very happy with assembly of the Magic Track links although the detailling is fantastic.

I was amazed by the amount of detail that one can get in a 1/35th scale kit. The Dragon kits are not cheap. But you can get it really on already by building a small section of the kit.

Constructive criticism is welcome :)

Pre Pigments

Panther451.jpg

Panther45.jpg

You better run now

Betterrunnow.jpg

Side by side to the big boy im building

PantherVegleichsidebside.jpg

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 14

The big one is a Taigen in 1/16 with some Aber basic upgrade parts. ATM, I am working on the tools before weathering the upper hull. When thats finished, I will bring it in for some critique as well. The Trumpeter looks promising. Please post it as soon as you get it. Meng will bring also a very interesting new one in 1/35.

I'm only commenting on the 1/35th because the other isn't finished....

I think that's a fantastic Panther! I'm doubting those two colours were used in reality, but what the heck, it's great colour-pairing and I love it!

I note that you've used more or less the same camo pattern on both tanks. And that's a good thing as well, because you've hit on a pattern that looks good and you're sticking to it! Too often I've ruined a model because I experimented!

I also note the 'diorama in progress'. Please do a WIP for it in the dioramas section! It's looking very promising from what I can see of it.

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

Just now, Badder said:

I'm only commenting on the 1/35th because the other isn't finished....

I think that's a fantastic Panther! I'm doubting those two colours were used in reality, but what the heck, it's great colour-pairing and I love it!

I note that you've used more or less the same camo pattern on both tanks. And that's a good thing as well, because you've hit on a pattern that looks good and you're sticking to it! Too often I've ruined a model because I experimented!

I also note the 'diorama in progress'. Please do a WIP for it in the dioramas section! It's looking very promising from what I can see of it.

Rearguards,

Badder

The idea was indeed to use the small one to try myself out. The callout in the Dragon kit was green and yellow, as on the cover artwork. The tank from bavaria that has this pattern looks like dual tone in one black and white picture in another it looks more like tri tone. Well. I just wanted to do an olive based one. Others have used this scheme with brown on green. Looks good as well.

• Like 1

Was just browsing and found this one, not mine... But good looking

202eb19da86951c5e5260da6846f0463--dioram

And this is Dragons inspiration

pantherLg_19.jpg

Here it is after some serious rework

https://www.bing.com/images/search?view=detailV2&ccid=dGbyYfr9&id=F995D6A6324F15D6EAA88C6E38A2E7FD3E8763EC&thid=OIP.dGbyYfr9lOaauhRRDiwW1wEsDB&q=panther+g+bavaria&simid=608021599785782012&selectedIndex=26&ajaxhist=0

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 1

43 minutes ago, Soeren said:

pantherLg_19.jpg

Looking at that I'd say that's definitely 3 colour camo. The 'stripe' down the middle of the glacis is definitely split into two tones down the middle (roughly)

All very interesting though, and that Panther diorama is a beauty!

Thanks for sharing,

Rearguards

Badder

This is the stencil set I used for the big tank. It is from the same 11th Pz Div, that Dragon names for the origin of their camo. The shape of the camo is similar, not the numbers though.

(231) Panther Ausf. G Reichenbach, April 1945

Picture taken from RCtank.de

Edited by Soeren
  • Like 1

Yep, like that.

Having looked at the links to images I have to apologise for saying your colours didn't look right to me. I can see now that there was an awful lot of variation in shade/tone, as well as a lot of camo schemes I haven't seen before!

Rearguards,

Badder

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Soeren said:

202eb19da86951c5e5260da6846f0463--dioram

That tree is absolutely mind blowing, the vegetation next to the water AMAZING!

Not sure of the scale, but if that's 1/35th I may as well throw my current diorama in the bin!

Badder

8 minutes ago, Badder said:

Yep, like that.

Having looked at the links to images I have to apologise for saying your colours didn't look right to me. I can see now that there was an awful lot of variation in shade/tone, as well as a lot of camo schemes I haven't seen before!

Rearguards,

Badder

No appoligies needed mate. It is a matter of recreation of what ifs that we get from black and white pictured, even if somone colors them you cant be sure. 

Have that with my Tiger atm, the 321 is option of bi tone or tri tone. You can see both in the pictures. And it is really difficult to identify shades from BW pictures, wanna try?

This was taken as colur with good lighting, no dirt or anything and then turned to BW. Funny isnt it? Tell me which color you expect where?

IMG_5760BW.jpg

Edited by Soeren

6 minutes ago, Badder said:

That tree is absolutely mind blowing, the vegetation next to the water AMAZING!

Not sure of the scale, but if that's 1/35th I may as well throw my current diorama in the bin!

Badder

I am sure it is the same 1/35 scale Dragon kit.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Soeren said:

Tried some weathering and obviously have it overdone in some instances.

Hello, I don't know why you think your weathering is overdone, we've seen much more on many german scale model tanks :huh:

Your Panther is very nice in my opinion B)

7 minutes ago, Soeren said:

IMG_5760BW.jpg

Edited 5 minutes ago by Soeren

Very hard to say Soeren,

If I HAD to guess I'd plump for the area behind the cross being brown, and that butts up against dark green on the left, yellow to the right, and then another green stripe to the right of that? All guess work on which 'shade of grey' is which colour though. It's just easier to see two shades when they touch each other.

Nice diorama BTW.

Badder  

Thanks guys  :)

On ‎29‎.‎10‎.‎2017 at 19:54, Etienne said:

Hello, I don't know why you think your weathering is overdone, we've seen much more on many german scale model tanks :huh:

Your Panther is very nice in my opinion B)

There are some too many scratches to my taste on the front hull and a bit too much pigments on the tracks from close up.