RyeField 1/35 Abrams M1A2 TUSK II

Gremlin56

On 10/29/2017 at 6:45 PM, beefy66 said:

Looking rather good there Julian like the crew figures pose 

He might just be saying do you really want some of this 

beefy

Hi Keith, thank you, yes, either that or he is showing off the latest way to clean up hairy armpits :wicked:

On 10/29/2017 at 7:11 PM, Dads203 said:

You set the bar high with the Bradley build Julian , you just might smash that with this build mate 😮

Dan

Thanks Dan, going slightly doolally from building the tracks on this thing, worth the effort I keep telling myself ;)

On 10/29/2017 at 7:21 PM, PlaStix said:

Excellent progress Julian. The tracks do look very impressive. Good job! :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix, nice color contrasts always help.

• Like 1

On 11/1/2017 at 10:44 PM, Reilly said:

Looking good Gremlin. Will look good alongside the Bradley. The Abrams is indeed a low rider. Put it up next to a Cougar and the later looks massive.

Hi Reilly,

Thank you, I have the AAVP-7 waiting for construction, it looks huge compared to the Abrams too. Evidently built to "Shoot, scoot and hide".

On 11/2/2017 at 12:45 AM, crushkill said:

It’s one of the most frustrating parts of the Brad.... a tanker can reach up onto the hull from the ground, we have to climb up on top to get stuff.

Hi CK, I'm rather enjoying reading up on the Abrams and it's development story. Might build build the version with the mine plow, another nasty looking piece of armor ;)

The Assault Breacher vehicle is a handful but it does look good, someone on here compared it to a praying mantis and it rather fits. Good news about that

Rye Field kit is it does have link and length tracks which is a relief.

Build it, Im looking forward to it. I didn't even attempt all of the hydraulic hoses and stuff but I'm sure you could handle the challenge and I'd like to see it

fully rigged out, it would be impressive.

Lloyd

Edited by BlackMax12

You must be doing something wrong as this is starting to look like an Abrams, what's with that? 

Those tracks are fun but still better than some of the Meng

efforts I've ran into, at least the jig works.

Looking good so far, what color will it be, a match for the Bradley maybe?

Lloyd

Thanks Lloyd, yep, it's an Abrams. It will look more like a mobile game of Tetris when I add the ERA and the semicircular ERA looks like some decided to grow plants outboard so the resemblance to an Abrams will "Fade to black"................................................

;)

500 pieces a track ?, If we think a little about what we do, maybe we would realize that "it seems" normal for the rest of the people to believe that we are "geeks" and something masochistic ... they miss it ... lol :popcorn:

Cheers Julian  :yes:

• Like 1

4 hours ago, FrancisGL said:

500 pieces a track ?, If we think a little about what we do, maybe we would realize that "it seems" normal for the rest of the people to believe that we are "geeks" and something masochistic ... they miss it ... lol :popcorn:

Cheers Julian  :yes:

Think you hit the nail on the head Francis, as they say: SM means never having to say sorry :banghead::rage:

I have passed the point of no return here though, 1 track painted and fitted so now forward with another 500 pieces for track 2 :yikes:

• Like 1

3 hours ago, PlaStix said:

500 pieces for the track eh? Wow! Great progress again Julian. Looking good. :thumbsup:

Kind regards,

Stix

Thanks Stix, I think retired Dragon designers go to Rye Field Models and design tank tracks :thumbsup:

• Like 1

5/11 update.

Fitted the turret baskets which took most of today due to the pieces being most horribly warped. Its fitted now and I put a layer of Vallejo IDF sand ground on to see how it looks with paint on: looks warped but acceptable IMHO (unbroken but badly bent...........................B))

DSCN5474.jpg

DSCN5475.jpg

DSCN5476.jpg

DSCN5477.jpg

DSCN5478.jpg

Thats about all for coming week I think.........................

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

Stowage basket looks good will look even better with a load of personnel stuff and equipment to fill it up with  :yes:

beefy

Thank you Keith, devil of a job to bash it into submission. It will look good with a full load added though :thumbsup:

Yep, on both my Rye Field Abrams the baskets were kinda screwed up.  One was so bad and broken railing I had to use some Evergreen styrene rod to patch it up and then hang a tarp

and some bedrolls to sort of cover the results. And the exhaust deflector didn't fit worth a damn on the outer basket or either kit but I beat the heck out of them, one can only take so much abuse after all.

One would think if you are going to put 1000 pieces in the tracks which are half hidden then maybe you could spend just a little more time engineering those prominent baskets.

Looking good so far though and I'm surprised too that the Brad is almost the size of the Abrams.  But the Abrams looks sleek and slippery while the Brad looks like a box on tracks with stuff stuck on.

Take care,

Lloyd

• Like 1

Thanks Lloyd, yes, used just about every "expletive deleted" carefully built into my vocabulary during 10 years at sea getting the baskets together and fitted. ;):thumbsup:

The Bradley is the victim of a development history that has lasted too long IMHO. The Abrams looks like a refugee from the Wacky Races cartoon show, a sort of F1 tank, sort of thing that Sebastian Vettel should be driving

:banghead: