Revell F-4J in 1/72

Tomppa B

Esci tool repop

Not a bad kit ---- for its time (1980). As a minimum would need a better interior, but I KNOW that the decals would be top rate.

However, the old Hasegawa and new Academy kits top the ESCI by a wide margin, so the major factor in Revell selling repops would be lower price but higher profit margin.

Thank goodness there are too many difference between the J and E/F to make it plausible for Revell to retool their superbly engineered but miserably shaped 1/72 Phantoms.

Gene K

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

I will be getting a couple. Still like the Monogram Phantom. Would love a couple of F-4Ds as well. Never got the Accurate Miniatures releases in IRE. At least Revell is easily available here.

8 hours ago, Meatbox8 said:

Does anyone know anything about the F-4K that appears on the link's timeline?

The F-4K shown on the scalemates page  is an ancient 60s moulding which incorporates none of the actual physical modifications to make it a true Spey Phantom.  One of my earliest Phantom builds but, then I wasn't worried about trivial things like accuracy. Mind you, that  hasn't changed...................!!!!:lol:. I seem to remember it had also been the subject of a long and intimate relationship with Ms R Riveter!:lol:. On the other hand, it fitted very well together.

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, Albeback52 said:

The F-4K shown on the scalemates page  is an ancient 60s moulding which incorporates none of the actual physical modifications to make it a true Spey Phantom.  One of my earliest Phantom builds but, then I wasn't worried about trivial things like accuracy. Mind you, that  hasn't changed...................!!!!:lol:. I seem to remember it had also been the subject of a long and intimate relationship with Ms R Riveter!:lol:. On the other hand, it fitted very well together.

Allan

Thank for the info.  I thought it might be too good to be true.  Ah well, must still look out for the Fujimi kit then, unless Airfix do th decent thing of course.

• Like 1

48 minutes ago, Meatbox8 said:

Thank for the info.  I thought it might be too good to be true.  Ah well, must still look out for the Fujimi kit then, unless Airfix do th decent thing of course.

Release date for the Revell F-4K was actually 1967! It's nearly as old as me!!!:lol:. Actually, I am surprised that Airfix have never retooled even their original Phantom, far less produce a brand new kit of the one true F-4!!

Allan

Edited by Albeback52
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Albeback52 said:

Release date for the Revell F-4K was actually 1967! It's nearly as old as me!!!:lol:. Actually, I am surprised that Airfix have never retooled even their original Phantom, far less produce a brand new kit of the one true F-4!!

Allan

Ha ha.  Nearly as old as me too!

Good morning

Maybe Airfix will start this year a Phantom Familly like the Harrier they produced in the recent past years ?

I think they would really make money ..

Patrice

Edited by TEMPESTMK5
  • Like 1

On ‎12‎/‎10‎/‎2016 at 8:56 AM, TEMPESTMK5 said:

Good morning

Maybe Airfix will start this year a Phantom Familly like the Harrier they produced in the recent past years ?

I think they would really make money ..

Patrice

Actually quite surprised they have not so far included a Phantom of any kind in their range. Of course, there is only one TRUE Phantom and, it had a couple of Speys under the bonnet!:lol:

Allan

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Albeback52 said:

Actually quite surprised they have not so far included a Phantom of any kind in their range. Of course, there is only one TRUE Phantom and, it had a couple of Speys under the bonnet!:lol:

Allan

They did have a Phantom in their range - but that was a long time ago and it's well past its prime now. Certainly a subject they could look at for the future though.

I'd like a new Airfix Phantom kit coz SOMEBODY, I'm not saying who, shoved rockets up it with bangers inside the fuselage and it kinda blew up! Coincidentally the same thing happened to my Revell Diamond Backs Phantom!

Paul Harrison

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Eric Mc said:

They did have a Phantom in their range - but that was a long time ago and it's well past its prime now. Certainly a subject they could look at for the future though.

You're right of course Eric!! I should have said "range of recent releases"!!:lol:. I actually have one of the old Phantom kits!!

Allan

On ‎30‎/‎08‎/‎2016 at 7:28 PM, Gene K said:

Not a bad kit ---- for its time (1980). As a minimum would need a better interior, but I KNOW that the decals would be top rate.

However, the old Hasegawa and new Academy kits top the ESCI by a wide margin, so the major factor in Revell selling repops would be lower price but higher profit margin.

Thank goodness there are too many difference between the J and E/F to make it plausible for Revell to retool their superbly engineered but miserably shaped 1/72 Phantoms.

Gene K

Hi Gene

Could you please be more explicit ? What are the weaknesses of this Revell F-4F , as long as the shape is concerned ?

What are the most obvious differences compared to Hasegawa for example ?.

Thanks a lot.

Madcop.:(

Why wish for new tools? Fujimi's Spey Tooms would be difficult to beat by any meaningful margin whilst Hasegawa's J-79 range could only really be bettered in a new moulding by having drooped ailerons, aux doors, airbrakes and and better cockpit detail.

I'd rather have really cheap rereleases of these two whilst Airfix & Revell concentrate on aircraft previously unkitted or those covered by obselete mouldings. (Monograms F-4C/D/J mouldings are also fantastic, but I guess raised panel lines would preclude them from being state of the art)

12 minutes ago, madcop said:

Hi Gene

Could you please be more explicit ? What are the weaknesses of this Revell F-4F , as long as the shape is concerned ?

What are the most obvious differences compared to Hasegawa for example ?.

Thanks a lot.

Madcop.:(

The most obvious and uncorrectable errors are around the front fuselage/canopy which is too tall/pinched. Other smaller issues are pretty easy to correct with Toom bits from the spares box.

16 hours ago, Dr Evil said:

The most obvious and uncorrectable errors are around the front fuselage/canopy which is too tall/pinched. Other smaller issues are pretty easy to correct with Toom bits from the spares box.

Thats what I've always heard claimed, but I never actually noticed it, I do have a hasegawa on the bench now so I'l compare it once it gets a bit more advanced to my finished revell