**Dawn of the Jet Age - pre 1950 - we got 30!

I'd love to be a part of this, it's my favorite era of aircraft by far.

I could definitely build the Revell 1/72 Me 262 with a conversion to the Czech Avia S-92.

I've also been wanting to build the Italeri/AMT Northrop YB-49 in 1/72.

- Jake

• Like 1

For the love of Pete... STOP IT RICH!

I have a Pavla Vought F6U-1 Pirate in the deep stash. There is now a reason (excuse?) to dig it out and build it.

<sigh> Add muggins to the list. This'll be 2018, right?

For the love of Pete... STOP IT RICH!

I have a Pavla Vought F6U-1 Pirate in the deep stash. There is now a reason (excuse?) to dig it out and build it.

<sigh> Add muggins to the list. This'll be 2018, right?

haha you know you have nothing better to do!! :P:D

still have to get past the voting stage, so you may still have a exit clause, unless I can come up with another GB idea! :wicked:

only if they'd been produced before 1950!

Unfortunately even that crazy snowplow with the MiG-15 strapped to it is a bit late for this this GB!

https://au.pinterest.com/pin/511369732670098181/

Most of these photos are completely off subject, but their awesomeness is to great not to show!

Hello all! Just a quick question for any early jet people out there. I was looking through the stash and found a very nice looking Sword 1/72 F2-H2P Photo-recon Banshee.

Does anyone know when this variant first flew?

Wikipedia doesn't give a date for the -2P and my Googling isn't helping :confused:

I don't think it will be pre-1950, but it would be nice if it was :)

Best regards

Tony

Hi,

I haven't been here for a bit, and had been thinking that I hoped someone would suggest this GB as I'm too newbie-ish, and too tardy, to suggest it myself.

So definitely count me in.

Alan

Hello all! Just a quick question for any early jet people out there. I was looking through the stash and found a very nice looking Sword 1/72 F2-H2P Photo-recon Banshee.

Does anyone know when this variant first flew?

Wikipedia doesn't give a date for the -2P and my Googling isn't helping :confused:

I don't think it will be pre-1950, but it would be nice if it was :)

Best regards

Tony

hmmm I'm not sure if I have a book on the Banshee, but will have a wee look.

in the meantime someone else may have the answer....

EDIT:

Ok I've just done some searching and do have on book on the subject, so this is what I found;

FD-1/FH-1 Phantom - entered service August 1947

F2H-1 Banshee - entered service late 1948 (shortly after the first production aircraft left the factory in Aug 48)

F2H-2 Banshee - entered service summer 1949

F2H-2B Banshee - no date but was just strengthened wings

F2H-2N Banshee - February 1950 - only 14 produced, first radar equipped (not ranging as in earlier models).

F2H-2P Banshee - first flight October 1950

So unfortunately she doesn't quite make it.

Hi,

I haven't been here for a bit, and had been thinking that I hoped someone would suggest this GB as I'm too newbie-ish, and too tardy, to suggest it myself.

So definitely count me in.

Alan

welcome about Alan, glad it's a subject you like. Don't worry about being a newbie, if you have an idea just pop up a starting thread. If it takes off there is always plenty of members that can help.

• Like 1

Many thanks for looking up the information on the Banshee Rich :) I thought the -2P would be later. Those early navy and marine jets look very nice in their deep blue schemes.

I was going to sell the kit long ago but now I'll keep it, all this jet stuff is weaving its spell now!

I'm still committed to an Me-262. I typed 'best Me 262 kit' into Google and it seems the Academy one comes out quite strongly in 1/72. I'm toying with an SU-9 in resin. Plenty of time yet!

Best regards

Tony

Many thanks for looking up the information on the Banshee Rich :) I thought the -2P would be later. Those early navy and marine jets look very nice in their deep blue schemes.

I was going to sell the kit long ago but now I'll keep it, all this jet stuff is weaving its spell now!

I'm still committed to an Me-262. I typed 'best Me 262 kit' into Google and it seems the Academy one comes out quite strongly in 1/72. I'm toying with an SU-9 in resin. Plenty of time yet!

Best regards

Tony

Now worries, I actually like the Grey/White colour schemes of the later Banshee's, they look very smart in that.

Looking at all these just and the ones that don't quite make the cut leads me to think that once this years votes done I may start a new thread for 1950's jets...or the 50's in general. I'm not to sure if we've had a GB set in the 50's yet, but it's bound to attract some interest!

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

As my Naval Meteor is getting along finally I'll be up for the Trent Meteor in 48th. Having looked at the conversions available it'll be done the old way using ideas on various threads here on BM.

Just need a source for the elongated P markings now.

• Like 1

What the hell, I've never done a GB before so put me down Rich!

I've the old Heller Vampire FB.5 but just realised the squadron service markings take this over the 1950 threshold so I'll have a look around for something more exotic...

Tony

Edited post: Having read your answer to Christian's post Rich I see this Vamp would meet the criteria, so I'll stick with that.

What the hell, I've never done a GB before so put me down Rich!

I've the old Heller Vampire FB.5 but just realised the squadron service markings take this over the 1950 threshold so I'll have a look around for something more exotic...

Tony

Edited post: Having read your answer to Christian's post Rich I see this Vamp would meet the criteria, so I'll stick with that.

welcome aboard Tony, and yes as long as the aircraft was in service or flying before 1950 it will be fine, the markings are fine.

• Like 1

The only one I know of was the trent powered meteor, The Germans did have fully functioning engines used in bench tests and may have had some flying examples as well, but accurate info on them is really hard to find.

Silly man there's another in your signature Gif :fool:

So if the 262 STGB doesn't make it I can make a fool of myself here instead as well .....Sign me up! :mental:

Corrected that for you Sarge :wicked:

@Rich with the rule revisions already accepted may I humbly suggest altering the first post. I'm sure the changes will open it up to other waverers :coolio:

@Rich with the rule revisions already accepted may I humbly suggest altering the first post. I'm sure the changes will open it up to other waverers :coolio:

arrr I think you've lost me with that one???