Airfix 1/48th Defiant - quick look in the box

John

Looking forward to it. I imagine the price will be similar to the old CA Defiants listed on EBay? I don't fancy paying 60.00 usd for one, I'm broke!

Cheers

I did a preorder on one and the price was VERY good. Very cheap shipping (slow boat, I imagine) from the UK to the US too. $28.99 USD including shipping.

Edited by Don McIntyre

That is in my price range luckily enough. Airfix is getting up there in quality with Tamigawa, but it seems that they are more mindful of our limited budgets than those manufacturers. I'm not opposed to paying more for better, and hopefully more accurate kits, but I am opposed to spending twice the value of the kits in after market parts! I imagine Brett Green will have an in box or build report soon. This kit is definitely on my priority list, and I am sure it will be a more accurate and easier to build kit than the CA offering. Now Airfix, where is my 1/48 Spit Mk XIV? It's on my Bucket List and I ain't got that much time!

Cheers

• Like 2

Hi

Was going to get one but i managed to get cheap CA defiants, one of each type :)

I know they are not so easy to build, but i would need a conversion set to build a Mk2 or TT, from the airfix one.

also they come with resin and photoetch :)

So I dont think i will be getting an airfix one now.

cheers

jerry

Hi

Was going to get one but i managed to get cheap CA defiants, one of each type :)

I know they are not so easy to build, but i would need a conversion set to build a Mk2 or TT, from the airfix one.

also they come with resin and photoetch :)

So I dont think i will be getting an airfix one now.

cheers

jerry

Well, clearly your choice, but having built one recently- the resin doesn't fit - takes lots of fettling to get it to do so. I had to both thin the resin, and still add a plastic card wedge between the nose parts. The undercarriage is nice but the uplocks fit where they touch. Its not an easy build, became a chore in my case but I had promised it ( and a CA Meteor) for the club display at Telford. If it was me I would buy an Airfix kit for a Mk I and use any detail parts from the CA kit that looked more refined.

Received my preorder from Airfix, looks a lovely kit; if it builds as well as it looks I'll be a happy man. I particularly like the choice of turret, with closed or open doors, much better than cutting them out!

....... represents a fatal flaw.....

Thats it then

had to buy one

airfix's last chance with me

if the clear parts are an issue i give up

just gotta wait for postie now

cheers

jerry

airfix's last chance with me

if the clear parts are an issue i give up

I've gone past that. I've been waiting for clear parts for three kits since November, no more Airfix purchases unless aftermarket canopies are available,

Cheers,

Bill.

• Like 1

#differences between Mk 1 and II?

Cheers

Sean

Hi

Mk II

new bigger nose,( bigger merlin)

new bigger rudder, new bigger radiator

maybe a few other little differences as well

cheers

jerry

Edited by brewerjerry

Airfix don't appear to have tooled for a Mk.II,but probably for a straight Mk.I nightfighter re-box.A mk.II would need a new deeper radiator and larger oil cooler,which should be easy,but the longer fuselage is probably one for the converter.Apparently,the Mk.II also had an extension bolted to the front of the fin,and the rudder area was increased by an extension to the upper trailing edge.I have difficulty in detecting the tail differences in the published photographs.

Airfix don't appear to have tooled for a Mk.II,but probably for a straight Mk.I nightfighter re-box....................

Hi

My thoughts as well, so luckily i have already picked up a cheap CA MkII and a TT.

A lost chance for airfix maybe they should have bought a CA MkII for ideas, or seen an online review.

Gives me the option of building a CA seeing how it goes and if it is a disaster for me i will use the parts on an airfix kit.

with maybe a bit of filler here and there :)

I am wondering if the CA clear parts will fit the airfix one.

I have a CA Mk I, so I will be attempting this one first.

Cheers

Jerry

That is in my price range luckily enough. Airfix is getting up there in quality with Tamigawa, but it seems that they are more mindful of our limited budgets than those manufacturers. I'm not opposed to paying more for better, and hopefully more accurate kits, but I am opposed to spending twice the value of the kits in after market parts! I imagine Brett Green will have an in box or build report soon. This kit is definitely on my priority list, and I am sure it will be a more accurate and easier to build kit than the CA offering. Now Airfix, where is my 1/48 Spit Mk XIV? It's on my Bucket List and I ain't got that much time!

Cheers

​I don't know about that. Airfix pricing around here for 1/48 kits is pretty comparable to Tamiya or Eduard Weekend Editions, much cheaper than Hasegawa or TrumpyBoss (I'd still like to know in what world is HobbyBoss's mediocre 1/48 F4U-1 kit worth $20 more than the Tamiya). In 1/72 Airfix has the cheap Series 1 & 2 kits, but otherwise is about the same as Tamiya/Eduard.