Revell 1:72 HP Victor K2 XH673

Ben C

Hi all,

This is what's been on my workbench for the past few months, on the receiving end of some surgery and half a tube of filler as and when spare time (ha!) permits. I picked this one from the stash as after the two Lancasters and the Spit and Hurri, I was getting fed up of painting camoflage.

The problems of this model are well known, and to me the major issue I would try to correct was the intakes - the rest I could live with. I could have got the Flightpath kit of parts, and for the amount of stuff you get it's good value for money, however an unexpected car bill meant money had priority elsewhere and I was scrabbling round in the shed and the oddsods bin for items that might be of use.

I took a few pics as I went, so I'll include those here. I wanted to capture the depth of intakes and the tunnel in front of each engine, so with a selection of close up photos from XL213's website, I set to work in perhaps an unusual way, using offcuts of copper pipe from a recent sink replumbing effort, some plasticard and a vast amount of filler.

23855767245_02fbf8093f_c.jpg

23227611574_3dbbd95d1f_c.jpg

The theory works... now to build up the rest of the intakes with card and filler! this did upset the centre of gravity somewhat so additional noseweight was required.

It might not be the most accurate representation, but to me it's a lot better than an out of the box model would have looked. I did also end up making new tips for the tail fin bullet out of scrap on my lathe out in the shed, and the engine exhausts are some plastic tubing that also received a tickle in the lathe to thin them out.

I have finished this model as XH673, the gate guardian at RAF Marham, a few miles up the road from me. XH673 is not much more than an empty shell these days, but it does display both 55 an 57 squadron crests on the tail as she stands there just inside the gate.

Enough waffle, the finished model...

23773256981_6d0957c282_c.jpg

This viewpoint shows the results of all that filling and sanding I'm happy with what I've achieved. If the model's "face" doesn't look right, then to me, it isn't right.

23560025750_510b1095ff_c.jpg

Love that massive tail

23829648236_3810c3ca7c_c.jpg

23487832259_703d9f8712_c.jpg

This was also my first attempt at panel line washes using acrylic... using enamel next time!

23227604844_5f2375a97a_c.jpg

23855760945_f11a7e2328_c.jpg

23227601704_6835e37709_c.jpg

23487829039_b9cf1eb7f9_c.jpg

Painted using both Vallejo and Humbrol acrylics - the hemp is Vallejo, with copious amounts of white added to fade it out. The underside is Humbrol light a/c grey. Brush painted, varnished with Windsor and Newton satin acrylic. Xtradecal for the number, the rest from the kit.

The announcement from Airfix regarding their Victor kit came out while I was still applying lots of filler and I did wonder about ditching this model, but I figured I'd started so I'll finish... :)

• Like 32

Can remember coming back from a 2 month detachment to Ellsworth AFB in 1984 to find this jet parked on the NAAFI car park!! Nice looking build! I may be a heretic but one of these jets should have been restored to fly with the Vulcan as it was in my view the better of the 2!

• Like 2

A lovely piece of work for a fine airplane. I always liked the futuristic design, the first time I saw one back in the early 1960's in Anti-Flash White scheme.

• Like 1

Definitely the best looking V-bomber! You've done a good job there: the intakes on my first Matchbox Victor are solid Milliput. Don't bother with panel line washes: several years ago now out club was parked under XH672's wing at Cosford and from six feet away the visible panel lines looked like they'd been drawn on with a sharp HB pencil. I know she's been bulled up a bit for display, but photos of the real jets from normal viewing distances rarely show panel lines

• Like 1

You've obviously worked hard on this one, resulting in a fine model from an old and tricky kit. My one critique - is it sitting rather tail high?

Yes it is a bit tail high, I hadn't noticed it on the bench but did spot it in the photos. Appears the nose gear got knocked before the plastic weld set properly. Will have a fiddle with it this week.

Nice model and you have done well with the intakes - I made mine when the Matchbox kit first came out and failed in that area! The model does sit tail high out of the box - at least, mine does, just like yours. Fully agree with Steve's comment above re panel lines.

The best as well as the best looking V-bomber - a shame that Sir Fred fell out with the mandarins.

Edited by bryanm
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...