Trumpeter 1/200 HMS Nelson + Pontos detail set

Chango

Just a quick update:

This week I tweaked the boot top line (made it straighter and a bit thicker to better match historic pics), built the deck crane and did some more detail work on the main guns:

vMwuHtM.jpg

UC3EqgB.jpg

mV0UOHp.jpg

ZZGI1EE.jpg

pIpVOtS.jpg

9YgMqNm.jpg

CeCD5yA.jpg

Getting closer to the end (is it actually even possible to finish a 1/200 battleship?!) :banghead:

Edited by Chango
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Wow Chango,

Your HMS Nelson looks smashing !!

I've got the same kit, I made a start on it, following the construction manual, which suggested I built the smaller parts first and I quickly discovered that, with no plastics kit building experience, it was just too clever for me.

I'm thinking perhaps I should start on the bigger parts and then build the smaller parts onto them and do it that way so I won't become dispitirited before I've even made a start.

I've put the build on the back burner for now, whilst I practice building some other easier kits first - my next model is a Revell 1/72 Revell VIIC submarine.

I have to admit I'm a twit. It never occurred to me that I should look for the part numbers on the sprue, to get the right bits and when the penny dropped, I had busted a couple of small plastic parts for some of the tiny guns on my HMS Nelson kit - Duh, however, I purchased a wooden deck for my model, with some brass etched parts, but for a very small outlay and nothing very fancy on the etched side of things.

Perhaps, I might shell out for a good quality etched brass set - a lot nearer the end of the build, if I can justify the extra expense to myself - but in passing, how easy is it to assemble parts from etched brass patterns, as I have zero understanding of how to do that?

John

Do you have railings to keep the sailors from falling overboard in rough seas ? - I've always thought they were as important as the finer detail on any model and would want railings on my HMS Nelson.

John

Do you have railings to keep the sailors from falling overboard in rough seas ? - I've always thought they were as important as the finer detail on any model and would want railings on my HMS Nelson.

John

Thanks! There are railings in Nellie's future, though it will probably the the final job on this build. Just a little piece of trivia: the "railings" were actually stanchions and wire on the real ship that would be removed and/ or folded down before the big guns started firing, as the concussion from the guns would blow a normal ship's railings right off. So, If you wanted to portray Nelson at battle stations, no railings around the hull edge would be the most accurate! :thumbsup2:

Wow Chango,

Your HMS Nelson looks smashing !!

I've got the same kit, I made a start on it, following the construction manual, which suggested I built the smaller parts first and I quickly discovered that, with no plastics kit building experience, it was just too clever for me.

I'm thinking perhaps I should start on the bigger parts and then build the smaller parts onto them and do it that way so I won't become dispitirited before I've even made a start.

I've put the build on the back burner for now, whilst I practice building some other easier kits first - my next model is a Revell 1/72 Revell VIIC submarine.

I have to admit I'm a twit. It never occurred to me that I should look for the part numbers on the sprue, to get the right bits and when the penny dropped, I had busted a couple of small plastic parts for some of the tiny guns on my HMS Nelson kit - Duh, however, I purchased a wooden deck for my model, with some brass etched parts, but for a very small outlay and nothing very fancy on the etched side of things.

Perhaps, I might shell out for a good quality etched brass set - a lot nearer the end of the build, if I can justify the extra expense to myself - but in passing, how easy is it to assemble parts from etched brass patterns, as I have zero understanding of how to do that?

John

I wouldn't recommend this as a beginner project, if that's what you mean, John.

I've got plenty to learn when it comes to scale modeling but it takes a certain level of experience/proficiency to pull off well and a unusually high level of patience and tenacity to see a superdetailed 1/200 battlewagon build though the hundreds of hours it takes to finish one.

There must be 10 times as many partly finished and/or botched big Trumpy kits and Pontos/KA/Eduard detail sets lurking in basements and attics than there are finished models serving as centerpieces of model collections... the reality is that it's an easy modeling niche to get dazzled and hyped over and dump tons of money into only to find yourself overwhelmed, frustrated and just plain burned out.

That said, it's not an impossible task and it's well worth the effort in my opinion, just go into it knowing what you're getting yourself into and plan for success!

• Like 1

"I wouldn't recommend this as a beginner project, if that's what you mean, John".

I agree with you entirely - I once had the patience of a saint, but I seem to have lost that skill - goes along with "getting older" in my case and I don't have the certain level of experience/proficiency to build this model yet, as I recently found out - or working with plastic kits - which is why I'm taking my time, before I get stuck into this one.

After posting my above, earlier comments, I had a closer look at the "super detailed brass etched" kit, which you purchased (now out of stock) which cost almost as much as the Trumpeter HMS Nelson kit, as mentioned above and I was seriously confused about how those parts would go together, if I were building them, so when I begin building my model, I will stay with the plastic kit, methinks.

I guess what I am trying to say is that I am absolutely in awe of your model, Chango and I am beginning to realise the skill and experience you put in, to achieve such an outstanding success.

From where I stand, you and your model HMS Nelson are simply awesome.

Having bought the Trumpeter 1/200 HMS Nelson kit, I am beginning to understand what I have let myself in for and as you suggest, I will plan for success - especially as I have the time on hand, being retired, to build it, 3 or 4 models hence.

John

Progress Update:

I've got the deck details up to the superstructure mostly complete:

aSclZhu.jpg

on905o1.jpg

BFhKAmx.jpg

yZAldMl.jpg

bJwiLZt.jpg

439UI96.jpg

PSexjPm.jpg

qTqFOws.jpg

As always, questions, comments, constructive criticisms and wild rantings are welcome. Thanks for taking a look!

• Like 7

Yet more progress... got the rest of the deck details pretty much installed; superstructure attached and basic painting done on the secondary guns.

DJtdkND.jpg

fsugDQ0.jpg

Irpbdg2.jpg

n6Zv9Oq.jpg

UX2wAiP.jpg

mVnkQjo.jpg

iHQ5ZS2.jpg

azesvPc.jpg

cMD3Fnc.jpg

In0F7yK.jpg

Man, there is A LOT of stuff on that boat! :S

• Like 10

• 1 month later...

Thanks! There are railings in Nellie's future, though it will probably the the final job on this build. Just a little piece of trivia: the "railings" were actually stanchions and wire on the real ship that would be removed and/ or folded down before the big guns started firing, as the concussion from the guns would blow a normal ship's railings right off. So, If you wanted to portray Nelson at battle stations, no railings around the hull edge would be the most accurate! :thumbsup2:

I have the Rodney coming and thought I would have a look at how people are going with their kits of her sister ship. Fine job BTW. One thing I will debate though is your assertion that the railings were lowered whenever the big guns fired. There are many pictures on the internet showing the Nelson or Rodney firing their big guns and none appear to show the railings being lowered. But it is your model and you can build it however you want. :)

Cheers and keep up the good work

Warren

• 1 month later...

I'm definitely a seasonal modeler; during the summer months I hardly have time to sit at the bench. I'm still putting along on Nellie though... here's some current shots:

IYX0Lzzh.jpg

PfqtH2Qh.jpg

OuWD3uDh.jpg

GGmnZdQh.jpg

WRQhx6Hh.jpg

Ofjqtk4h.jpg

vCeGg9dh.jpg

bAZeQkUh.jpg

zEnUDcLh.jpg

iIHu5yxh.jpg

Almost there and not a moment too soon as I have a new box of pricey Trumpeter plastic just begging to be cut on!:

rKhrUsih.jpg

Edited by Chango
  • Like 7

That is one fine looking model Chango, everything is so crisp, I see in an earlier post regarding this 'NOT' being a starter kit is a wise piece of advice, which is why I am holding off on my 1/350th Hood build, some of the upgrade items are so small, which was unexpected on a large model, that was my first inexperience slip up in building ships.

Loving the build.

Gary

Looks superb, I've just received the Ponto set for the Iowa so I'm about to make a start on that while the add on market for the Hood settles down...

John

Hi Chango

Great looking build of a great ship. I have always Liked Nelson and Rodney because of their sheer power and unique design. You have done a great job. I will have to wait until someone finally produces one in 1/350. There is no way I could manage the detail on one of these 1/200th giants. Looking at your build the amount of detail increases dramatically. You are doing so much more and things like that printed chain make this a masterpiece.

Well done and thanks for sharing

Cheers

Guy