Matchbox II GB Chat

Arniec

Almost certain that I will be building 1/76 Chevrolets from the LRDG set.....As many as I can get my hands on.  :coolio:

I've already got two in the stash IIRC and I'll be watching eBay for more.....Have to confess, that while it's by far my favourite Matchbox kit, I've never actually built one before.  :blush:

• Like 1

As aftermarket has been mentioned, what's the view on this ? Should the models be built using only the parts in the box or is aftermarket allowed ? And if so, to what extent ?

I've got a few Matchbox kits in the stash and for some of them the plan is not only to add aftermarket but also replace some parts with spares from other kits. An example is the Phantom, where landing gear, canopies, cockpit, engine nozzles and weapons would all have to come from somewhere else. I've also planned a G.91Y where again cockpit, wheel wells, canopy and other parts will need replacing.

And what about conversions from one variant to another ? Are these allowed as long as the base kit is from a Matchbox mould ?

Edited by Giorgio N

On another forum we have the simple rule; it must still be a minimum of 51% of the original kit, either by parts count or by kit mass; its the thought that counts.

Also; Conversion through simple decal changes or major plastic surgery are welcome, Aftermarket to your heart's content or what your wallet can stand.

12 hours ago, Black Knight said:

On another forum we have the simple rule; it must still be a minimum of 51% of the original kit, either by parts count or by kit mass; its the thought that counts.

Also; Conversion through simple decal changes or major plastic surgery are welcome, Aftermarket to your heart's content or what your wallet can stand.

This rule sounds pretty good to me !

Two matchbox kits were the basis for my very first ever 2 conversions: an early MiG-21 converted into a later variant and a Spitfire XIV converted into a XIV..

Question. How do I know if a Matchbox kit is from Matchbox moulds? I have a Do335 1/72 in Matchbox box, but don't remember it from the "first" time around. Its in one colour plastic and has raised panel lines. Looks suspiciously like the old FROG kit :huh: Anyone know for sure??? Cheers Greg 

4 hours ago, Black Knight said:

I recommend this site for checking kits;

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/

This shows that that Do.335 was originally a Frog kit.

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/161781-matchbox-40135-dornier-do-335-a-6

Thanks, I wasn't aware Matchbox did the repop thing! I know Revell do, and have Matchbox moulds in their range - I have the Halifax. Guess I will have to source some Matchbox originals for the GB then. Cheers Greg

4 hours ago, Giorgio N said:

Also check this website:

http://www.matchboxkits.org/

Thank you, I will have a look see, cheers Greg

• Like 1

Glancing at The Stash, I see a Noorduyn Norseman... :)  

The first Matchbox kit I ever built was a Boeing P-12E.  If I can find one., I'd like to give that a go as well.

Oooh look!  There's an Aeritalia G.91Y in The Stash as well...   

And a Mystere IV.  And a Bell OH-6 Aeroscout.   And they're all in their original Matchbox boxes as well.

• Like 1

Smug git checking in::D

During the voting process two Matchbox kits came my way from a colleague at work, so looking forward to this now.

Both still sealed, with French Franc and Euro pricetags if that helps date them.

Proud owner of another Meteor NF kit - which I've built 6 times,  because we've got a few Meteors at Jet Age,

and an English Electric Lightning - which I've built 5 times, because it should be illegal to pass up on a Lightning.

Edited - March 2017:  a Jaguar has now arrived in my stash.

This is a kit I've never built, so a strong favourite.

Edited by theplasticsurgeon
  • Like 2

47 minutes ago, Enzo Matrix said:

Glancing at The Stash, I see a Noorduyn Norseman... :)  

The first Matchbox kit I ever built was a Boeing P-12E.  If I can find one., I'd like to give that a go as well.

Oooh look!  There's an Aeritalia G.91Y in The Stash as well...   

And a Mystere IV.  And a Bell OH-6 Aeroscout.   And they're all in their original Matchbox boxes as well.

So Enzo you are building at least four?! You know you want to:wicked:

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Enzo Matrix said:

nodnodnod   That is my average... :D 

There is still some time to get some more. I managed to get a collection of around 100 MB kits in just two years. :D