Finemolds 1:144 Millennium Falcon - Now with lights!

I built the small Finemolds Falcon soon after it came out, and it's been in my cabinet ever since gathering dust. You can see its initial appearance in RFI here. When Madmonk Warren started his lighting business he sent me a kit to review, as I'd always wanted to give lighting a try. This was a while ago now, as you can see from the review here. It took me a little while to get a clear resin & PE engine exhaust section from Sci-Fi Modeler (sic), and then it sat there, looking at me for ages. About a year, actually :blush:

I decided to clear it off my desk & give it a go, so I retrieved the Falcon from my cabinet, split the hull and Dremelled out the old blanked off exhaust area. Then I followed the instructions and took a few other bits out to accommodate the wiring loom, as well as soldering in a coin-cell holder and a micro-switch to make it all self-contained for those "flying round the room" moments :pilot: I also built a light compartment in the back of the hull to stop the light from the engines leaking everywhere, which was surprisingly easy to do, and any gaps were filled with my custom black epoxy that has black pigment added during mixing (makes a messy job even messier, but it does block light very well). The wires were hot-glued in place, and once complete it was just a case of fettling the join between upper and lower hull halves to get a decent fit. I removed or knocked off most of the landing gear and one of the guns, which are now pinned back in place with 0.8mm brass, but I managed to break off the gun again during photography, so I've got to do that again. Drilling the holes for the fibre guides was hit & miss, and some of them are blocked by the seats, which are now conspicuous in having no-one in 'em! :doh:

Anyway - here are a few pics of the re-finished model :)

front.jpg

front1.jpg

rear.jpg

top.jpg

switch.jpg

Hope you like it, and thanks to Warren for his advice, the set to play with & taking the time to make this handy little set. I'm now addicted to lighting kits :blush:

• Like 12

Yeah they are going on eBay for between £100 and £175!

Glad I bought mine for a lowly £35 a year ago. :) It was a really fun build and I'm really happy with the finished piece.

Looks fantastic if I ever win the lottery I'll get one of these :)

You not heard the news? Revell have the FineMolds tools, and are reboxing some of the kits in the near future under a 'master series' line or similar. The 1/72 falcon is on top of their list. Maybe they will also repop the 144.

Yeah they are going on eBay for between £100 and £175!

Wow. I just checked my records, and I bought the 1/144 Falcon and a FM X-Wing from HLJ this December just gone... both for £36. I don't normally buy kits as an investment, but by golly I'm half tempted to flog it. Beats my ISA, that's for sure!

J.

Edited by JasonC

Thanks for the kind comments chaps. I'm also looking forward to the re-pop of the big Falcon. I'll be paying the Madmonk a visit for a lighting loom for that one as a certainty ^_^

I have an original issue 1/72 Falcon and will be doing a lighting set in the not too distant future, may also adapt it for Revell large Easikit too.

Cracking job by the way Mike.

Cheers,

Warren