Airfix 1/72 Lightning F6 23 sqn

PaulR

Evening all,

It's been a while since I did a WIP as opposed to a finished project, but I thought I'd pull something from the stash straightforward and exciting to do - hence the lightning! My dominant modelling theme is squadron markings of the RAF, and the lightning is a superb canvas for precisely that. I am going to build it with the addition of a Master pitot, Eduard masks and Xtradecals. Here are a few shots of the kit and aftermarket, and the markings I have in mind. I am minded to go for the white spine and fin of 23 sqn F6 XR753, or possibly a mid 80s grey scheme, but I'll see how that goes!

DSCN2043.jpgDSCN2044.jpgDSCN2045.jpgDSCN2046.jpgDSCN2047.jpg

Edited by PaulR
  • Like 4

I had the same dilemma with the lighting I'm making at the moment. Luckily I didn't have any after market decals to confuse me any more!

I agree with Duncan, 23 for me!

Edited to ask - How much did the pitot tube set you back?

Edited by DAG058

Quick update!

I am going for an inflight project, and am currently planning on using a wooden base and a brass pole. This has made building the kit a breeze, especially since Airfix now designs all its kits with 'wheels-up' options. To be honest, in more than one way I seem to be going back to childhood; the last 4 out of 6 projects have been inflight! Anyway, the kit is basically complete, so I have been working on installing the brass pitot tube. This involved a 0.5mm drill bit and a steady hand...but well worth the effort!

DSCN20491.jpg

• Like 4

Quick update! I am working on the cockpit, so things have been primed and given an initial coat of Tamiya NATO Black for scale effect. I have also drilled out the ends of the Trumpeter Red Top missiles I am using instead of the short shot Airfix missiles. Finally, the essentially complete airframe has been temporarily mounted on the home built stand; the brass needs polishing and the wood staining, but getting there!

DSCN2053.jpgDSCN2050.jpg

• Like 8

Paul,

I concur with the others' opinion that '23' would be nice. and that you chose it is pleasing to all of us no doubt ! :evil_laugh:

It is coming along QUITE IMPRESSIVELY....

have you been to Bruntingthorpe to see the Lightning when it does its taxi-ing ..I went last year and it was amazing.... :wow:

Derek B works on it and he will have photos of it if you want...I think Derek B is a member here .. :popcorn:

Good luck with this SUPER build ... :mike:

Thought I'd better update this thread! I have decided to spray the white spine and fin first, and then add the black painted canopy afterward to ensure a super sharp demarcation line. I'll then mask the spine, fin and canopy areas before spraying the rest of the airframe. Although I haven't taken a shot, the cockpit is almost done; just need to finish the pilot. Need to improve the photography...

Regards, Paul

DSCN2091.jpg

Edited by PaulR
  • Like 3

• 2 months later...

Paul, this is looking great so far. I've just recieved one of these kits but I don't know what scheme to do it in! The white spine and fin do look like they're going to look quite special though so I'll be keeping an eye on your progress!

David

We have ex Saudi AF Lightning F53 at the Tangmere Military Aviation Museum painted up as XR7353 of 23 Sqdn. It does look great!

John

• 2 months later...

Wow - this looks like a truly excellent project! Superb! :thumbsup:

Just ordered the Xtradecals set for 23 Sqn as I'm planning to turn my Airfix F.6 into this version too (got the 74 Sqn Corgi version of the F.6 so I won't bother starting that and I want at least one 'pure metal' version of the beast). I want to do the early all-metal variant with silver spine and fin. Got all the 1/72nd scale Airfix Lightnings waiting in stash completely set up with Eduard masks and Master pitot ready to go and hope to find the peace and quiet to get started someday! Will be watching this closely - looks brilliant! :Tasty:

Cheers, Alex

Edited by Lightningfreak