Argentina - Alenia G.222 "AE-260" Argentine Army Air Command

Here's my entry: Argentina - Alenia G.222 "AE-260" Argentine Army Air Command

I've decided that I wanted a simple OOB build of a MODERN kit for once... And I haven't done a transport aircraft for a long time; finally this will be my first-ever Argentine Army Aviation Command aircraft!

Here's the kit:

qGO6ZJT.jpg

Here's the hardware inside:

CGHaEjF.jpg

OG5mRCt.jpg

As you can see - some very nice moulding; much better than the ditches appearing in later kits (eg. Sunderland)

4C3qQb3.jpg

Mrs. Moggy gave me this kit last Christmas (2013) :heart: and she really wanted to see what comes of it :winkgrin:

Here's the decals: Linden Hill sheet 72029

8dshfxl.jpg

....and here's my particular subject:

Rsd3tAA.jpg

Away we go! :analintruder:

Some colour research led to my choice of paint (acrylic as usual)

zwOsnz9.jpg

A big cup of tea and a couple of enjoyable hours late the first bits of the cockpit got put together and airbrushed with the base colours:

t5UOIs6.jpg

The idea is to finish this within the month :yikes: - something I haven't done for a very long while - thus leaving me free to persue my next GB (ScienceFiction II) where I intend to build a somewhat complicated refit USS Enterprise with resin details and lighting :hypnotised:

Sorry for the stinky pictures... I am at best an indifferent photographer - I really miss my old manual ANALOG system camera :banghead:

Cheers, Moggy

Edited by Moggy
Re-link Photobucket vandalised pictures
  • Like 3

On 2015-01-04 at 09:09, Col. said:

Always liked the G.222 as it looks rather like a mini Hercules to me. Both the kit and decal sheet look great.

It is a mini-Herc - same engines :) I love multi-engined transports; unsung heros of most modern wars :whistle:

On 2015-01-04 at 21:32, CliffB said:

Hi Moggy

Looks like a lot of kit to get together in a month (at least at the rate that I build)! :popcorn:

Cliff

Well - hopefully the kit is as good as it looks in the box ;) and since I'm doing my best to stand up to my detailing compulsion (I haven't bought any extras and intend to keep the scratching to a minumum :pilot: ) it should be possible to complete within schedule! :mental:

However... I'd love to find some pictures of the G.222A cargo bay; the only ones I've been able to find are of the C-27J :pipe:

So if anybody has or knows of pics of the G.222A's cargo bay please share them with me ASAP :jump_fire:

A small update:

After spraying the wheels with Alclad's Duraluminium I realized that the kit wheels look nothing like the originals (both G.222A and C-27J). Wrong shape and wheel hub :doh:

If I was doing an all-out effort I would make a master and then make resin replacements of these... No way I'll have the time if I am to finish this by the end of the month :confused:

The cargo bay floor has gotten its base colours - MUCH MORE masking is to come to paint the black non-slip cleats on it... :yikes:

DOzfoCe.jpg

The fuselage sides show an opening for an observation window not present in the G.222A :wicked: - it was glued and then covered with Tamiya putty.

A view of the airbrushed cargo floor in its best pijamas paint!

gCUytsA.jpg

However, the obsevation window opening is in the cargo bay soundproofing too! :banghead: I need now to meditate a bit on this to find an acceptable way to fill in the opening and reproduce the soundproofing :pipe:

twungRJ.jpg

To be continued...

Cheers, Moggy

Edited by Moggy
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

Here I am again!

A month has gone since my last post here... While several events took up a lot of my free time (like re-building a true gamer's computer for my daughter - one with liquid cooling systems (!) and preparing a 40-min lecture for my daughter's class (to be delivered to TWO 9th forms back-to-back), the G.222 project has continued!

Remember I said this was to be a OOB project? Well...After thinking a bit I could not resist... it has to be built open - showing the most important section (the cargo bay) for everyone to see! So after a whole lot of masking tape the cargo floor looked like this:

DOzfoCe.jpg

The black rectangles are supposed to be the antiskid patches... However I had still not fully committed to the "open hatch display"... as you can see I had not yet separated the hatch floor from the rest of the cargo bay flooring!

Still not quite decided on the subject I continued hesitating - and doing some scratchwork on the inner walls in order to match the few pictures I've been able to find on the G.222A cargo bay walls:

HgZNbHn.jpg

The window openings have some sort of frames - and a stripe of metal with (I think) the headset connectors for the net seating that is quite in evidence in the real thing. The paradrop doors have a typical frame-and-rail for the door to be opened by lifting it on the inside...

While still cogitating on the be-or-not-to-be of ramp opening I continued to give some interest to the cargo bay thus:

twungRJ.jpg

...and realized I could use jump seats from a Chinook etch sheet to further enhance the model. Then I knew: BYE BYE all pretense of a OOB... and adieu deadline!! So much for completing the G.222 in a month... ;)

More masking madness:

z5Cn61o.jpg

...I truly hope this will be visible when the model is completed :P

Now came the final cut - I was fully committed to an open model!

rfrL8cz.jpg

Of course I had to add some plastic card doodads to improve the ramp - it's REALLY going to be visible...

And there were other details that couldn't be forsaken: paradrop door outer rail...

0K9llIN.jpg

A bulkhead and cupboard (with more yet to come)

81V2QAZ.jpg

I couldn't resist taking a peek at how it might look when ready:

RQz3189.jpg

3leDqNM.jpg

Notice I was still fitting the bulkheads and the paradrop door rail is not yet in place... and tested the chosen camo colour (Tamiya acrylic XF-58 - allegedly a match for FS34097) on the hatches.

During this period I worked om some of the "boring bits" ;) The wheels had to be filed and sanded down to a form that at least reminded one of the real wheels.

I made some round masks to protect the Alclad center while spraying them with rubber black:

Hl9qu7e.jpg

fn1r1Rx.jpg

and did the basic paintwork on the props:

2WuakCQ.jpg

Then it was time to grasp the nettle - the photo-etched jump seats :o

Basic paintjob:

pCuOllQ.jpg

Meanwhile at the ranch - the cockpit!

But that's coming in the next installment! B)

Till then,

Edited by Moggy
relink vandalised pics
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
Hi Moggy!
Very nice work on the G.222 !
I got the kit too and I wanna paint it as a Venezuelan AF example... here, the G.222 was dubbed "Golfo" instead of Panda..
Well I´d like to share some Argentinian pics as reference for your work...
FE35A68ED.jpg
JCC.jpg
AE-260+(1).jpg
3117303553_58625078b0.jpg
C8B60689A.jpg
AeritaliaFiatG-22210.jpg
AeritaliaFiatG-22214.jpg
BTW, I´d like to see the Thai camo used in their G.222 because it´s very similar to the Venezuelan AF camo... can you share a good image showing the Thai camo..?
TIA
Regards from Caracas.
  • Like 1