2x Bf 109G-6 1/72 ( JG3 and RAF captured) - JG3 FINISHED + new close shots

What a shame about the airbrush - it was definitely looking really good - the pre-shading seems to be showing through perfectly. This is one of he reasons why I'll probably stay with hairy sticks for a while yet! I'm sure you'll sort it out. It is going to look great when finished.

• Like 1

Last time I had that problem it was exactly as you describe and it turned out to be what your best guess is. The hose was sopping with condensation which had all managed to bypass the filter. The cylinder head of my compressor was also full of water which had corroded the non-return valve. So it might be worth stripping the thing down and then running it at full pressure to clear the hose.

• Like 1

...i noticed the tail is slightly turning to left when looking from back...

I recall the tail was in fact slightly "turned" to compensate the engine torque, but did you find the effect out of scale? I really like your models and hope you can sort out the trouble with the airbrush! V-P

• Like 1

Thanks guys :)

Blastvader - i ll try the high pressure to clean the hose, thanks. The compressor has that vial, which gathers the water from compressor itself, but some water could "happen" (right, i dont know the right word) just inside the hose while its unplugged from the airbrush over day i guess

V-P - i think this fuselage was a bit wrongly moulded (i have few more of these kits at home and none had/has this problem), but the difference on top of the tail was like 1,5mm from the middle line, so it looked quite wrong. But i think it should be alright now :) Thanks once again

You could always depict an incident where a Luftwaffe unit painted up their 109s in RAF style camo complete with black white stripes as a ruse. I believe it was 65 squadron Mustangs that tangled with them. I recall seeing this in a Flypast sometime ago.

• Like 1

A bit of progress from tonight. Top side got some preshading followed with the camo colours. I ll have to repair some areas tomorrow and then pray and go for the mottling on the fuselage.

One thing.. i noticed i did used wrong blue.. used RLM 65 instead of RLM 76.. I was tired of mixing all the greys all the time, so i bought the italeri acrylic set for luftwaffe, nice stuff (its vallejo colours in italeri vials). So i had the two blues next to each other and most likely used the wrong one... i ll see when i get to the second 109, if the RLM 76 ll be different to this.

010.jpg

• Like 3

Thanks a lot guys :) Now the harder part, mottling scheme :) I m still quite new in this and still fighting a bit the paint vs thinner vs air pressure..

After a bit of testing, i found working combination, did the light grey mottling, followed the fuselage drawing as much as i could. I was quite happy with it.

Then i changed to the dark grey, tested it on test subject, it was ok.. went on the bf 109 and this is what happened...

012.jpg

i found out there was problem with the dark grey, the pigment did not dissolved in the thinner good enough. I was trying to shake the bottle longer (MUCH longer), mixed the paint in the airbrush longer (again, MUCH longer) and still it kept spiting little pieces of the pigment followed by spray of almost pure thinner... After some time i gave up and picked panzer schwarzgrau instead.. It is a bit darker shade, but at least it sprayed a bit better (not much, but better).

After that i masked the extra panel (again, following the drawing as much as i could) and the green fuselage band (painted black "1" into it while i was at it). Later i noticed the fuselage band is too short, so i ll repair it later tonight when i m back from work.

At the end i painted the spinner, tried RES-IM masks for AZ Model 109 spinners.

013.jpg

014.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks Steve and Arni (and others ofcourse :) ) , i did some progress, wanted to go for decals, but decided to paint some stuff around yet, like wheel wells and the inner side of radiator/wings flaps. Then i gave it few coats of gloss varnish (sort of future stuff) and wanted to try some washes.. how it ll look.. just try.. i was listening to some music while working and so sudenly i woke up and saw the whole plane is washed... so yea, going new style.. first wash, THEN decals... :oops::bangin: well, i guess it wont hurt, i ll just have to do the wash over decals again :D

Anyway, i tried to go with dark brown wash around the engine cowling plates and around the control surfaces, Stone grey for top sides and Storm grey for bottom side.

The propeller is just dry fit there :)

015.jpg

016.jpg

edit: also the green band is repaired already, made it slightly brighter and longer as it should be

Edited by Wolwe82
  • Like 2

I m realy thinking about leaving the wash like this, i mean, do not apply wash on the extra rivet lines (i did apply it on the original "big" rivets which were on the kit from box).. the rivets are visible from close look and from some angles (depends on angle of the light) and i guess it might be better than having some "grid" look a like at this scale, what you guys say?

Edited by Wolwe82

I personally think it looks great as it is but it's really got to be up to you. Having watched your work before I'm pretty sure you'll already be thinking what else you can do to it!! It's going to be stunning anyway!

• Like 1

Thanks guys, you are too kind realy, all of you :)

I want to try something new to me, to enhance the ribs on ailerons a bit by using masking tape and tamiya smoke. I guess i wont do much of chipping on this one. I wanted to use tamiya smoke to enhance panel lines, but i ll see how it ll look after decals and satin varnish ll be on, might as well ignore the panel lines further enhancing.

Not big progress tonight, just few decals set on. I bought kits-world luftwaffe numbers decal sheet, just to get home and notice that the yellow numbers on the sheet are all black outlined... :banghead: and the "6" from the kit was too tall with slightly different top side.. well, i did at least cut it in middle over the "o" and made it "lower", but the top side is still wrong.. :( i can live with it though :)

Also i did give a try and masked the red dot-line. It´s maybe a bit too rough, but at least i dont have to fight the silvering on these as always :)) and thats it for tonight, my eyes starting to hurt :)

017.jpg

• Like 2

Hey again guys, i was a bit busy yesterday and today morning with the 109, i decided to save a bit of the postimage space :) So i did skip the images of little parts alone and such a stuff, it was nothing special anyway and i ll try to make enough detailed photos later so you can see it :)

Here is where she is now. Almost finished, need to add one antena wire and the bar holding the opened canopy. I decided to not go with the smoke on ailerons, i m not sure if the ailerons on late G-6/14 were made from metal, wood or fabric.. Also i did not do any scratches and chipping, might add some very very gentle around cockpit and engine cowling.

I had a bit problem with the tamiya smoke - it is gloss paint in fact, quite thick and i cannt find the right mixing ratio, so in the end the edges of the smoke trails were looking ok from distance, but from close look you could see the drops of paint so i was not happy with it. I tried agama smoke and one more smoke paint i have at home, but all were the same. I have no idea, why they are making the smoke paint gloss?.. who ever saw glossy smoke?? Well, in the end i tried tamiya nato black + tamiya red brown (the german planes had somehow black-brownish smoke trails) thinned by like 80% thinner and it was working way way way better. I had to hide the "spotted" edges of the original smoke trails, so i found few images of very very dirty 109s (speaking about smoke trails) and this is the result

Fotografie_0071.jpg

I had to leave to work before i could make more images, so i ll post more shots tonight.

• Like 1

Oki, i got home from work and finished the first 109.
Added the antena wire, some whip antena under fuselage, the bar holding opened canopy and also i noticed i forgot to add the plate covering exhausts on left side, so i made new one from can and quickly painted it and glued it in. On few photos this plate is not added yet.. I ll probably make more photos tomorrow anyway, because all the close-ups did not go well so i had to delete them all.

IMPORTANT! i did NOT made the base :) I bought it online, because i liked the look of it and wanted something i could try to use for shots of completed models before i learn how to make my own base :)

Anyway, here are few shots which were ok, i ll try to do more detailed shots tomorrow if i get home early enough :)

027.jpg

029.jpg

030.jpg

031.jpg

032.jpg

033.jpg

022.jpg

023.jpg

And here next to my other AZ Model Bf 109G-6, which i did build for the LTAT here on BM 5 months ago. The older Bf 109 was painted more in the "spanish school" + additional postshading with tamiya smoke was done along panel lines. Now honestly guys, which paint work do you like more?(btw the old 109 was painted by paints mixed just from panzer schwarzgrau + white + light blue + red)

035.jpg

And last shot, next to the P-51B from this GB.. you can see how big the mustang is compared to 109 (or better say, how small the 109 was)

036.jpg

Well, hope you like her guys :) i ll try to add more detailed shots tomorrow and hopefuly finish the second 109 in time :)

edit: aaand one more note... i was adding the gunsight to the cockpit.. at first i touched the windscreen with the glued part, gogo me, freezing dot there... Then few minutes later i noticed one of the "glasses" on the gunsight was lost. And while trying to fix there new one (1x1mm was not easy to catch and glue to there :) ) i managed to break the gunsight.. so its now lying somewhere on the floor.. probably the pilot could not shot down any plane that day so he was angry and smashed the gunsight... true storry... :D

Looking at the shots one day after, i ll have to do something with the shine on the smoked areas.. the bottom layer of glossy tamiya smoke is still giving it some shine.. I m thinking if i should go on carefuly with matt varnish (maybe with drop of brown paint in) or mix sme dark brown pigments..

Edited by Wolwe82
  • Like 2