nah, sorry, actually, I build the new kit. I still have enough old kits, so whenever I have the choice, I prefer the new one. Maybe, if there's ever a Bristol Bulldog STGB, I will build the old Airfix kit!

Alex

• 2 weeks later...

Before I commit, (and I so want to), I'm trying to locate a good, definitive set of drawings. Not only that, but is there a Tiger Moth DH82 "bible" that is highly regarded?

I believe, I have in my remote stash a 1/48 Směr kit. I've never opened it, but recently read reviews and saw photos of it........... Does anyone know of an unmade hoard of Aeroclub vacform Tiger Moths? My main criterion is that I must build it in 1/48 scale. So if anyone knows of any other offerings or sources, please let me know.

..............Then I think I'll commit to the build.

Cheers,

Bob

Hi Bob,

I bought a 1:48 Tiger Moth kit from John Aero last year and stashed it for this build. He is currently very active in a topic about the DH Hornet: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234973909-a-dh-hornet-fix-ation/

I would PM him - his kit will be the best you can get and I bet it is very accurate in shape and dimension.

The Smer kit is 1:50 IIRC and unless it differs much from my other Smer kits it is very basic.

Rene

• Like 1

Hi Bob,

I bought a 1:48 Tiger Moth kit from John Aero last year and stashed it for this build. He is currently very active in a topic about the DH Hornet: http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234973909-a-dh-hornet-fix-ation/

I would PM him - his kit will be the best you can get and I bet it is very accurate in shape and dimension.

The Smer kit is 1:50 IIRC and unless it differs much from my other Smer kits it is very basic.

Rene

Good suggestion.

I have one for this too.

Thanks Caerbannog, (I'm sure that's dangerous rabbit I know of....)

That's exactly what I did and am now sorted by our friend John.

Still open to suggestions about a good book or two for reference purposes however.

I'm now wondering whether there are any usable parts from the Směr version and to do a bit of cross kitting............ I think John Aero's kit will really be 1/48, I'm not so sure about the other though. I'll dig it out from the secret hoard Mrs Loft-full has never seen, and do some measuring early Saturday morning.

Getting close to committed aren't I?

It seems I don't have a Směr version in my secret stash, (that kit turned out to be a Walrus), so I'm glad I've ordered one from John. I did get some cockpit stuff from airscale yesterday for the intended build however.

I'm thinking of making mine in the guise of a Fleet Air Arm trainer. There are sets of transfers available for 1/72 scale RN Tiger Moths, and there are less specific sheets of 1/48 FAA markings that are obtainable. I'm really looking for a source of markings with text and flashes the correct height, and roundels the right diameter. So if anyone has opinions on markings, or good Tiger Moth books for that matter, I'd be pleased to hear from you.

Cheers.

I think Airfix ones will have to be allowed.They must be the most readily available kits.

Changing the subject slightly, have a look at this fellow's 3D CAD model of a Tiger Moth

https://grabcad.com/library/de-havilland-tiger-moth-dh82a

The images may help if a structural walkaround is required.

Files can be downloaded but I think you have to create a free account.

Hi Charlie C67. yes ofcourse! the more the merrier. GB rules will be up soon. I just need a free moment to sort them out but shouldn't be to fretful!

I've never taken part in a group build, but this might be the tipping point, I have an Airfix in the stash, and have been avoiding looking at it for fear of rigging. Time to confront my demons! Roll on August.

Edited for stupid autocorrect

Edited by 06/24
  • Like 2

I have a 1/32 Match-Revell-box awaiting build into the Tiggy from The English Patient movie. Sounds like its time may be coming!

500px-EP_DH-82_b.jpg

• Like 2

Anyone else considering Thunderbird 6?

Hi Paul,

I've never actually asked to join the build... So please would you include me? I've just sort of tagged along on this forum and it would seem that curiosity has turned into commitment to build.

I'm relying on peer pressure/encouragement to get me going after, (too many), years of inactivity. Well that and the fact that John Adams sent me a Tiger Moth which arrived yesterday. (Now John won't be looking to see what I do with it will he?)

So on the 31st July at midnight everyone sits at their kitchen table/bench/tray on lap with an open kit and scalpel in one hand........... Then what? "Build the model!", (I know that).

Will we post pictures at regular intervals? Do we all declare what we're intending to make beforehand? What's the usual format for these builds? (You're going to tell me to read the FAQ page aren't you?)

Cheers,

Bob

Hi Paul,

I've never actually asked to join the build... So please would you include me? I've just sort of tagged along on this forum and it would seem that curiosity has turned into commitment to build.

I'm relying on peer pressure/encouragent to get me going after, (too many), years of inactivity. Well that and the fact that John Adams sent me a Tiger Moth which arrived yesterday. (Now John won't be looking to see what I do with it will he?)

So on the 31st July at midnight everyone sits at their kitchen table/bench/tray on lap with an open kit and scalpel in one hand........... Then what? "Build the model!", (I know that).

Will we post pictures at regular intervals? Do we all declare what we're intending to make beforehand? What's the usual format for these builds? (You're going to tell me to read the FAQ page aren't you?)

Cheers,

Bob

Count yourself included. #During the build post up pictures of your progress form start to finish. Start off with a pic of the kit before you get working.

There will be a gallery to show off your completed work. invite and expect comments during the build. A lot can be learnt from a GB. But as a guide look up a current GB or a completed one in the appropriate columns and see whta is entailed. That way you'll get an idea of what to do. Also, familiarise yourself with and how to post photos.

• Like 1

Time for a quick roll call and invitations for more to join. So far we have:

(as well as myself...)

1. Caerbannog

2. geedubelyer

3. Rob G

4. galgos

5, bigbadbadge

6. CliffB

7. Alex Gordon

8. alex

9. loft-full

10.Charlie_c67

11. 06/24

12. maltadefender

Ooh! It looks like we need more..Going by the amount of builds already appearing here I think we need to save our Tiger Moths for just a few months more or go out and buy more from AFX or Aeroclub or whoever :winkgrin:

I believe you forgot me Paul :winkgrin: Think I joined when it only still was a suggestion for a STGB

I thought there were more. :bobby: Must hunt the earlier list down! :winkgrin:

• Like 1

Right then. Found the original applicants. List so far below:

1. wkennerley

2. Mish

3.mcclure

4.CarLos

5. wez

6. GraemeH

7. hgbn

8. wellsprop

9. Phoenix II

10. martin hale

11. ww1steve

12. gingerbob

13. Dave Fleming

14. Caerbannog

15. geedubelyer

16. Rob G

17. galgos

18. bigbadbadge

19. CliffB

20. Alex Gordon

21. alex

22. loft-full

23. Charlie_c67

24. 06/24

25. maltadefender

Hm. That looks a lot better now. If I've missed any one else out and have signed up please do let me know. More recruits always welcome.

Lots of variations and schemes in those nice AZ kits to think about too as well as the Airfix kit plus ther are some aftermarket sets available at you know where on the Easy Anglian coast!! :winkgrin:

• Like 1