1/48th Airfix Javelin - 3rd June, finally some paint on the airframe

I saw that seat from PJ Porductions and if you compare it with photos on the Martin Baker site and in the page Av6fan listed above, it looks NOTHING like a MK 3. if you check out the Mk 4 on PJ productions site, that looks more like a MK 3 as do the seats from the kit. I reckon the kit seats are good reproducitons but just need belts added from the Canberra PE set.

These are the references I have been using - snaps from 2 films on Youtube and one from somewhere on the web that I can no longer find.

Looking at these Airfix did their research and got it right (certainly for the 9).

These are for information purposes only.

Safari_zps9db217b0.jpg

LittleSnapper_zpsa0cd6ffd.jpg

gloster_javelin_type_3js_zps990770a4.jpg

Edited by crobinsonh

Looking great so far! One note on those face curtain pull rings. Just like the Mk.7s used on Phantoms, modelers often paint them bright yellow with black stripes. The real things (at least every one I've ever seen) are a very dull dark mustard yellow color. Almost more brown than yellow.

• Like 1

looking at those photos crobinsonh posted earlier, it looks like the Javelin used two different marks of ejector seat. The first one looks like a mark 4 (you can clearly see the strap that shoes the wedge pad head cushion in place) , and the second a mark 3 (the headbox is very square in profile)

Looking great.

Excuse my ignorance on the matter of the ejector seat, but I am thinking of putting figures in (with all that fine detail in the cockpit you probably think me mad :shocked:). What I am not sure about is where the various belts go when there is someone strapped in :confused:

I have looked on the interweb and found no helpful photos. I can make some assumptions, but it would be good to ahve a clear guide.

Lap straps and shoulder straps seem obvious, but there are quite a few other straps to these things and I have no idea where to wrap them hmmm.gif

Thanks in advance for any help

Stephen

Hi Stephen

Dose this help? It's from the Javelin 9 pilots notes.

Javseat_zpsea2c97fc.png

John

John

That does indeed help greatly.

Thanks.

I have now received the PJ Productions figure, the AlleyCat figures and I have the Airfix Canberra figure.

The Alley Cat figures scale up to c. 6ft tall - about right. Although these figures are standing they look too tall and I doubt would fit the cockpit.

The Canberra figure scales in at under 5ft and the PJ Productions figures come in just over 5ft. I notice that the torsos of the PJ and Arifix figures are about the same size (PJ just fractionally taller). However, the difference is in the legs the Airfix ones are distinctly short and the PJ ones would appear to be about right for the seat. My concern is that in using the Airfix one it is too small without doubt. Using the PJ Productions ones will probably just do, but the torso is a touch small as is the figures head.

If I get a chance soon I will post some photos (under a new thread - as we have hijacked this thread enough! :) ) to show the differences.

Stephen

"However, the difference is in the legs the Airfix ones are distinctly short and the PJ ones would appear to be about right for the seat". that's Ok for the Canberra crew as there was an restriction on the length of the thigh for Canberra pilots to allow clearance on the control column on ejection, how clever of Airfix to get this right! :winkgrin: No problems with the seat info Stephen glad to help.

John

Thanks everyone for their comments - there has been some excellent discussion and research on the ejector sets. Special thanks to John (Canberra Kid) for the excellent images of the bang seats. I need to do a little more work based on these images. All said and done I think Airfix did a pretty decent job on the basic shape.

Thanks Bill (Navy Bird) for pointing out the issues with the belts - easy to fix at this stage. I am going to finish the 3 x CMR Scimitars once I have worked out whether I am going to have a go at fixing the nose to windscreen issue in the kit. I may try this on one of the models and leave the other 2.

This is were I got to before leaving on Monday for a week of work and NO play in San Francisco and Los Angeles.

IMG_1026_zpsca91e139.jpg

You may not be able to see it but there is a subtle gradient from very dark gray to a lighter gray. Not sure how noticeable this will be when all sealed up.

I do want to keep this as OOB as much as possible but I have to confess to not being totally happy with the instrument panels thus I have purchased whilst away the airscale 1/48th cockpit instrument bezels, cockpit details and placard decals.

Please keep the comments and discussions going.

More shortly

Edited by crobinsonh
  • Like 1

Well I could not sleep so I started on some more details. The Nav instrumentation and various boxes and stick are all moulded as 3 simple pieces but it quite 2D in nature. I started by cutting and separating the 2d representation of the Nav stick. Apologies for the crappy photographs.

IMG_1040_zpscd755cb9.jpg

Then whilst I was at it I cut the rest of the panel up - no going back!

IMG_1044_zps512e520e.jpg

I then moved on and rebuilt that area and glued into behind the front of the rear panel as it should be.

IMG_1058_zpsb0ce2e28.jpg

This is were I have gotten to. Some wiring to add etc and needs painting and glueing together.

IMG_1064_zps2a1dc6d3.jpg

I also added some very prominent cabling that you can see in photo and pilot notes.

IMG_1045_zpsd60b50c8.jpg

And I added the rudder pedal straps that were missing.

IMG_1049_zpse450726c.jpg

Edited by crobinsonh
  • Like 3

You are right Steve. I am succumbing to adding more detail than I originally planned :-)

The latest update from this afternoon at the table.

IMG_1079_zps7313d84f.jpg

IMG_1084_zps70108f90.jpg

IMG_1086_zpsb5893228.jpg

John - here is the Mk4 front cockpit image (for information purposes only).

Jav_MK4_Fig2jpg_zps4451b26e.jpg

Edited by crobinsonh

Hi Bill. I did not originally start with that intention but I got a little carried away. Front cockpit is now pretty much done. Some questions and help on the rear cockpit from anyone who has good shots would be most appreciated. Like wise good shots of the U/C bays would be great.

IMG_1104_zps23fb3fb4.jpg

IMG_1116_zps673094d5.jpg

IMG_1106_zps610dc879.jpg

IMG_1122_zps453ea381.jpg

IMG_1128_zps93d4b6d1.jpg

This jet lag malarky has really helped as I have managed a few hours each morning between 2:00am and 7:00am each morning!

• Like 3