1/72 Supermarine Stranrear update 5-7-2013 "Finished"

Thanks Doug.

Although the faded look on the model looks a little bit overdone on the pictures , but that is because of the flash photography.

I have put the top wing on today witch wasn't easy, but it's on and I will leave it till tomorrow with all the clamps to settle.

Hopefully I can start tomorrow with the wires. The decals will go on after that.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 1

Hi Guys,

Here is a update of what I have don lately. I have managed to put the top wing on and I have almost finished the rigging. I only need to rig the floats and than the rigging is done. I still need to do loads of things (decals, props, etc) , but I think I will make it to the end.

Here are 4 foto's of the model at this stage of the build.

IMG_5071_zps00c59a63.jpg

IMG_5073_zpsd2112dcc.jpg

IMG_5072_zps8f27b4a1.jpg

IMG_5074_zps5ab0ce1e.jpg

The rigging isn't perfect but I learned a lot about it! The rigging have always put me of for this type of models.

I hope that you guys like it sofar.

Cheers,

• Like 3

Thanks guys.

Nice stuff Arnold...you're a braver man than me with that rigging!

I have putted it of sinds my youth (25 years ago). I now know how to and thanks to some of the guys over here to give me some confidence and the most important stage for this and that is "patience and good planing" .

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec

Hi guys,

Again some pictures. This time after the rigging and decals done. The decals are mostly from my own decal bank. The squadron letters were made from some early Spitfire decals (Superscale). The B was originaly a D and the N was originaly a H and also the L was originaly a F. The Roundels are from a Aeromaster sheet.

The only original Matchbox decals I used are the steps and the aircaft number. I also used the walking zones from the Revell decals.

IMG_5075_zps0a33409c.jpg

IMG_5076_zpsb07b9fff.jpg

IMG_5077_zps1f0307d4.jpg

IMG_5078_zpscd8dc6e3.jpg

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 3

Hi Guys,

I have done some work on her the last 2 days. The panellines are done, gunners placed, exhausts painted, masks removed and the model is now attached to the base.

I have no foto's but I will put on some when she is Finished.

I still have to do the antenna wires and the Props. I can now confirm that she will be reaby before the deadline.

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 1

Hi Guys,

I have done today the last things on her and I now called her Finished.

Here is a few foto's of the finished model. The rest will go later on today into the Gallery.

IMG_5090_zps6bf7ae55.jpg

IMG_5084_zps89610b04.jpg

IMG_5088_zpsffb9bb03.jpg

Cheers,

Edited by Arniec
  • Like 8

I'm so glad you made it in time, great work. As Doug said in an earlier post , the fading really is nice and the whole thing, props and all, looks great.

• Like 1

Thanxs Guys,

I am also quite pleased with the result.

The Props was a first timer as well (Just as the rigging). They did come out quite well.

Cheers,

• 2 weeks later...

Nice job, well done. :thumbsup:

I have to learn how to do sea bases, sea planes look so my better displayed like that!

Thanxs Rich,

It is quite easy. This was my first attempt and the result isn't to bad. I used some cheap modelling clay (It's no clay but it feels like it and it's white), cheap paint and a picture frame. I think that all have cost me about 10 euros. I have taken the glass out of it (next time I will leave it in for more stability) and put the clay on with starting at the waves. after that I filled in the space in between with thin layers of it. I work with my hands and to get in the corner I used a old nife. Last thing to do is get rid of your finger prints. That you do with water on you finger and make it smouth.

Then you leave it dry for 1 or 2 days and than you just have to paint it. I did that with blue,black and green accrilic paint. I made a mix of mainly green with some black and blue in it till I was satisfied with the base colour. This was painted first. after that I lighten the base up with more green so to get some tonal difference. Last thing I did I used a very small portion of oilbased white paint to make the top of the waves lighter.

Again after a few days of drying I used some Klear (Future) to make everything shiny. I used about 4 layers of it to get it good shining.

I think my total time will have been about 4 hours of work. The most time is making the waves. the painting about 1/2 hour and the Klear was about 5 minutes every time.

I hope this will help.

Cheers,

• Like 1

• 2 years later...