Jump to content
This site uses cookies! Learn More

This site uses cookies!

You can find a list of those cookies here: mysite.com/cookies

By continuing to use this site, you agree to allow us to store cookies on your computer. :)

stevehed

Members
  • Content count

    808
  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

525 Excellent

About stevehed

  • Rank
    Obsessed Member

Recent Profile Visitors

2,034 profile views
  1. stevehed

    Persian Furies

    Thank you both very much. Very informative. The PW was about 100lbs heavier, required ballast in the tail and I assume the three blade metal prop was heavier too. Not forgetting some cooling issues.
  2. stevehed

    Persian Furies

    Hi, From what I have gathered Persian aircraft were powered by either the British Mercury radial or the American Pratt and Whitney Hornet radial. Both engines are air cooled, produced similar horsepower ratings, about 550hp, and the Mercury machines had a top speed in the region of 220mph. The Hornet machines appear to have been capable of only 178mph and some were re-engined with Mercury radials. Assuming this to be correct why should two engines that appear to be very similar produce such dramatically different performances. Regards, Steve
  3. Splendid job, very impressive. Built three BE2c's to date but have stayed clear of the chequer board. As for the DH9 I hope Airfix re-issue the DH4 as it can be kit bashed into a Nine. The hardest part would be scratching a Puma engine as I used an Aeroclub white metal casting which are probably like hen's teeth at the moment. Regards, Steve
  4. Really enjoying this thread. I've been building vac forms since the early 80's before " retiring " for the usual 25 years. Airframe and Rareplane were the brands then with the latter far superior. Since returning to the fold I've built 14, got two WIP's and a further 28 in the stash, all of which are WW1. The early Classic Plane are very variable in quality although they do provide a very interesting range of products. Keep up the good work. Always keen to see another vac builder's work as never to old to learn. Regards, Steve
  5. stevehed

    Revell 1:72 Fokker D.VII

    Nice going. Particularly like the streaked canvas. Might be a bit late with this build but the conversion to an earlier Mercedes type is a simple conversion. Ray Rimmel published an article many years ago in Wings that I used. Go to page 3 and look for the Bolshevik. I hope this helps. Regards, Steve https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/airfixtributeforum/revell-1-72-fokker-d-vii-04177-t20134-s30.html
  6. stevehed

    fokker streak decals?

    Very impressive Ologist. Got to admit I'm with Smithy but purely on grounds of cost. Projects to date were the resurrection of an Airfix Dr1 and a kit bash Fokker DIII. I used HU159 with a lot of thinners and ended up with something like Smithy's. The Airfix DrI was red plastic and was the most difficult with the red showing through which took several coats to adequately cover which tended to spoil the overall wishy washy effect. Lesson learnt was use a decent undercoat such as light grey or your choice of cdl. Did this for the DIII and was happy with the results. Regards, Steve
  7. stevehed

    Hansa Brandenburg W29

    Go for it Andy. It's a lovely straight forward kit. I built mine OOB and the lozenge went on ok. The experts will never agree so I reckoned it was as good a choice as any other. Be careful removing the rear cockpit mg ring/set up and the outer float struts do not match the holes but look ok when positioned. IMHO this is a great WW1 starter kit. Regards, Steve
  8. Hi, My interpretation of the photo shy LFG W, a floatplane version of the Albatros CI that LFG Roland were building under licence. Based at Lake Angern, now Engures, on the shores of the Gulf of Riga, during the second half of 1916. Last picture was taken in natural light to try and show the blue colour. Thanks to those running the show. Regards, Steve
  9. Top Notch P. Very impressive. The tail unit is a work of art itself. Regards, Steve
  10. A rare bird indeed. Looks very promising. Regards, Steve
  11. stevehed

    LFG(Roland) W

    Just a quick update before Christmas. The strip has worked fine. I've taken my time making sure the measurements are right because when everything fits the undercarriage is surprisingly strong. There's one more strut per side to add to make the outer N shape and that will do. I thought I could get away without them as there are several variations of float support struts but i couldn't find anything to support my intended laziness. Tail struts are added and the leading edge radiator needs to be painted before installing. After that the paint is to complete and then the armament. Regards, Steve
  12. Well done Ray. A toughie without a doubt but definitely worth the effort. Regards, Steve
  13. stevehed

    LFG(Roland) W

    Thanks Guys. Have a go John as a vac is just another short run kit once it's cut from the sheet. My bug bear is resin kits. Twice the price and just as much work as a vac but I've finally bought one as it's the only game in town. See how it goes but the price will always be a factor to me. But back to floatplanes. Tail unit added with a larger fin/rudder scratched from card. Happy with it and it makes the kit look different from a standard CI. Then it was on to the float struts. Evergreen 020 x 040 strip provided the material. I've used it before and it should be strong enough although I think Contrail strut material is stronger. Regards, Steve
  14. stevehed

    PK-25 A.W. Siskin IIIA [Conversion]

    Looking forward to this. I tackled it nine years ago and there was quite a bit of major surgery involved. Good luck. Regards, Steve
×