1:72 Monogram Grumman F7F-3 Tigercat

As ejboyd5 stated, the tail code "D" was assigned to Naval Reserve Squadrons at NAS Dallas from November of 1946 until June of 1952 (although one source says December of 1957) when it was changed to "7D." I still haven't found any photos of a Tigercat with that tail code, but here is a Martin AM Mauler:

Martin-Mauler-AM-1 NAS Dallas

The Mauler would have roughly contemporaneous with the Tigercat. So the question now becomes was the Tigercat ever assigned to a reserve squadron at NAS Dallas, and did the USMC use the same reserve squadron tail codes as the USN (I think they did, but I'm not the expert). 

Boy, that Mauler is a beast innit? Good name, too. 

Cheers,

Bill

3 minutes ago, Navy Bird said:

As ejboyd5 stated, the tail code "D" was assigned to Naval Reserve Squadrons at NAS Dallas from November of 1946 until June of 1952 (although one source says December of 1957) when it was changed to "7D." I still haven't found any photos of a Tigercat with that tail code, but here is a Martin AM Mauler:

The Mauler would have roughly contemporaneous with the Tigercat. So the question now becomes was the Tigercat ever assigned to a reserve squadron at NAS Dallas, and did the USMC use the same reserve squadron tail codes as the USN (I think they did, but I'm not the expert). 

Boy, that Mauler is a beast innit? Good name, too. 

Cheers,

Bill

I'm not even sure that an F7F ever had a big "Marines" on the upper right wing but I'm pretty sure that it was never assigned to a Navy Reserve Squadron with that marking. There are examples of the Navy and Marine Reserves using the same airplane but I think that was later with jets and the number/letter tail codes.

Note that the only F7F pictures I've seen with the AZ tail code are -3Ps, 3Ns (bulged radome and two seats) and the -4N (slightly different radome than the -3's and two seats).

• Like 1

Good grief Bill, I thought for a moment that you had been drinking the stuff! Even Mrs Martian doesn't get that desperate! and for me it would have to be at least real Sea Blue Gloss, none of that mass produced chemical stuff.

Martian

PS: What is Mrs Bill going t do when she finds parts of her best cutlery set missing?

• Like 1

This is the photo that I referred to:

AZ

From this angle, I can't tell if it's a -3P. The wing is blocking the view of any ADF football, and the camera doors would be on the port side If I understand correctly, HEDRON FMAW stands for Headquarters Squadron First Marine Air Wing. 

What if we tackle this a different way - what markings would be OK for an F7F-3? The National Naval Aviation Museum has an F7F-3 on display painted in these markings:

Tigercat_F7F-3_BuNo%2080373_preserved_NNAM_USA

Authentic? I kinda like the big "MARINES" on the side. I might be able to cobble up some "12" decals. Would there be a "12" under the wing too? There is a nice big picture of this plane here (is it OK to link to Airliners.net this way?):

http://www.airliners.net/photo/USA-Marines/Grumman-F7F-3-Tigercat-(G-51)/2284610/L

Most image searches bring up restored warbirds, and I don't think I can trust them. Too much bogus looking nose art.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

The nose gear door on the Tigercat has some prominent structural members on the inside, easily seen in this photo of a restored warbird:

Tigercat014

The gear door supplied in the Monogram kit has none of this detail, so I figured I would make a new one. I cut out a piece of an aluminum soft drink can, and trimmed it so that it matched the wheel well opening. Then I used some rather small styrene strips to replicate the structure. The new nose gear door, unpainted, poses here with the part from the kit:

IMG_0820

I think once it's painted, it will look the part, especially with the addition of the linkage that attaches the bottom of the door to the gear itself. It's hard to see in the photo, but the aluminum portion is curved in two directions, matching the shape of the bottom of the nose. 

Now, with respect to all the marking choices that are possible, I went scrounging through my Magic Box of Sticker Stuff, and I found what looks like proper code letters and numbers in white:

IMG_0821

I think these are USN codes, and I noticed that there are two styles of the digit 2 (the first one is the one used on the NNAM Tigercat). The letters seem to match other stickers that I have for NAVY and MARINES, so I think I can make just about anything I might need. I tested one of the letter on an F9F mule, and it worked fine. Interesting thing about these sheets - there is no carrier film that extends beyond the edges of the letters. So they're delicate! The test also showed that they are very white, and very opaque. Where (and when) did I acquire this? I want more! 

I also like the markings on the Tigercat that used to fly out of Duxford, but it has a back seat (probably because it's an F7F-3P). It seems like most of the warbirds out there are two seaters. I'll keep looking and then decide. It's almost time to put the stickers on, so I'd best hurry.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 7

So let's see, what have I been doing? Mostly eating leftovers (or as wifey calls them "plan aheads") from Thanksgiving dinner but that's not important. What's important is that I ordered and received my copy of Naval Fighters Number 75 - Grumman F7F Tigercat by Corky Meyer and Steve Ginter. This single volume may have everything in it a modeller would ever want to know about the F7F. My main reason for getting this book is because it has descriptions and photos of every squadron that operated the Tigercat. I can use this to select a markings scheme for my model, which is an F7F-3 day fighter. Now here is the odd part - this variant was the one produced in the most numbers, yet it only appears in a few places in the book. I would have guessed that there would be more squadron examples, but nope - I'll have to live with what is there.

My selection is F7F-3 Bu No 80528 from HEDRON One at Marine Corps Air Station El Toro in 1950. This is the aircraft in the photo above, but the Ginter volume has a better photo that shows it from a rear three quarters view. The tail code is AZ, it has just a single cockpit, does not have the ADF football on the spine, and has the nacelle (bort?) number of 10. The caption states that the aircraft is an F7F-3, Bu No 80528. I checked the production records online, and 80528 was indeed an F7F-3, not a -3P or -3N. So I think I'm OK with these markings. The cowling panels will not be part of the model, since the engines will be exposed, so the nacelle number won't be visible anyway.

Browsing through the Tigercat book, I can't recommend it highly enough. The coverage of the aircraft is so thorough - and a gajillion and a half photos. Very nice!

I added the photoetch scissors links to the main and nose landing gear. Not sure why I did this so early, I have a feeling of dread that one or more will go "zing!" before I get to the end. I painted the wheels and tyres and will be mounting them shortly. I then went back to the engines and decided to finish them up so I can get them mounted to the front of the nacelles. The ignition ring and its wires are supplied as photoetch and the first step was to add the ring and glue the plug wires to the front bank of cylinders, like so:

IMG_0850

Then, the wires for the rear bank of cylinders are bent around so that they can be glued to the back side:

IMG_0858

For such a simple piece of photoetch, I think it adds a great deal to the engines. Aires provide a resin part for the engine mount, which I'll mount to the front of the nacelle, and then the engines will be added. Aires also provide photoetch for the framework that is underneath the cowling panels, and it's this framework which the front cowling ring will mount to. I can't glue the framework on until the cooling "gills" have been added to the engine mount. And they can't go on until the exhaust have been added to the engines. Oh boy...let me tell you, I've done some dry fitting of these components, and although they look nice in the box, and in the instructions, the fit is really bad. Almost all of these components need to be modified in some way in order to use them. Poor design I'm afraid. Remember that I was also unable to use the wheel well parts from Aires. I'd be piping mad if I had paid the retail price of $55 for this "super" detail set. Oh, wait...    :weep:

I received my PropMaster from UMM, and very quickly assembled the Quickboost props. They look great - it's too bad you can't use the little jig that came with them without modifying it. Let's see...Quickboost is made by...Aires, right? 

I got the main gear doors ready for paint, and the instructions have a nice little drawing that shows part numbers 27, 28, and 29 that serve as the hinges for the doors. The parts are identified as photoetch, but they are not part of the photoetch fret. OK, maybe they're resin and it was just a typo. Nope, they're not part of the resin components either. Aires strikes again. 

Some time was spent back in the Magic Box of Sticker Stuff looking for decals that I can use for Bu No 80528. Looks like I have what I need - with the exclusion of the red propeller stripe lettering. I've got red striping, but I don't have the word "propeller" arranged vertically in white. Well, actually I do, but it's part of the decal sheet for the E-2 that's in my stash and I don't want to raid that for this project. I think I'll just skip the lettering, as many of the F7Fs in the Ginter book appear to just have a red stripe. One of the sister ships to 80528 has the USMC crest on the nose - I think I'll take some artistic license and add this to my model for interest. I can't say for sure whether 80528 had it or not.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 9

Thanks, guys. The engines are by far the best part of the Aires detail set. The resin exhaust pipes look very cool - I'll try to get a shot of them and post it. I'm not sure how well they're going to fit, but I sure hope it's not too bad. The engines will be fully exposed on the finished model if all my plans go through without any further problems. There is just too much detail to cover them up!   :)

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 1

Here are a couple of shots - first, the engine mounts in place on the front of the nacelles. Obviously, the engines will mount to the inner diameter. The cooling flaps will essentially surround the outer diameter. The four notches cut into the outer diameter are for the exhaust pipes which are bundled in four packages, top, bottom, and each side.

IMG_0859

IMG_0861

If you look close and add a bit of imagination, you can see the scissors links that have been added to the main gear. Next, the resin exhaust pipes (from the left they are the top, sides, and bottom):

IMG_0862

Originally, the engine end of each pipe had a peg of smaller diameter which is intended to locate into the cylinder heads. I found that it wasn't easy to get all of the pipes to locate at the same time, probably because I wasn't too careful when I added each cylinder to the engine crankcase. So I cut off the small pegs, and I'll just glue the pipe to the back of the cylinders. It will look fine, and you won't see any holes. Another good idea from Aires, but something a bit difficult to pull off. Hopefully, things will all look fine at the end.

Cheers,

Bill

PS. A couple of the individual exhaust pipes had broken off in shipment, but I was lucky enough to find them in the bag. A little superglue and Bob's your uncle. 

• Like 8

Stickers are on!!   :)

I'll post some new photos in a day or two - tomorrow is maintenance chemo day, and I'll be busy blasting those cancer cells to smithereens. Who needs a GAU-8/A Avenger when you've got my immune system and a couple of pints worth of Big Pharm chemicals!! 

Planning on attaching the wheels tonight, unless Memsahib gives me more stuff to sell on eBay. That's OK, though, better somebody else store that stuff than me.

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 4

Thanks guys, I appreciate the good wishes. I'm in my two day post-chemo blasé, but it will pass. 

Tommy, thanks for the production figures. I think what has confused some of the sources on the net is that 189 "single seat" F7F-3 planes were built, and of course some of these were F7F-3P variants. I had a look at what is in the Ginter volume, and it states that only 49 new build F7F-3 aircraft were modified to the F7F-3N standard by Lockheed in Van Nuys, and that 57 "other aircraft" were "later brought up" to that standard. That sounds to me like the first 49 were delivered as F7F-3N (since Grumman ferried the aircraft directly to Lockheed) and that the other 57 were originally delivered as some other variant. Do you know the story behind those 57? 

So, you guys want to see some stickers. I used two photos of 10 AZ (Bu No 80528) to create this scheme - one each in the Squadron In Action and the Naval Fighters (Ginter) books. The markings on the upper wing are not shown in either of these two photos, so I copied the layout for 13 AZ (Bu No 80496) which was a sister ship in HEDRON One. The propeller warning stripe and the USMC crest were copied from another photo of 80496.

The model still wants to set on her tail, and I have doubts that it will tilt forward when the engines are added. I just don't think they're heavy enough. I hope my trick with the wheel chocks works! 

IMG_0869

IMG_0867

IMG_0866

IMG_0868

Most likely the lower port wing had 10 AZ (or maybe MARINES) on it as well, but I've run out of letters for an AZ of that size to make it happen. I have a photo of an F7F-3N from HEDRON One which shows that area blank, so maybe this is OK. Tigercat markings seem to be inconsistent from one squadron to another, and sometimes even within a squadron. The rockets will cover it up anyway.   :)

I think I'll add a coat of my favourite eggshell finish at this stage, then get back to work on those engines. I think Aires may have made another boo-boo with respect to the exhausts. The Double Wasp was an 18 cylinder engine, and the resin exhaust pipes provided by Aires are in four groups containing 6, 4, 4, and 4 pipes. That's good as it adds up to 18. However, they show the group of 6 pipes on top of the engine, while the Ginter book has a photo which shows 6 pipes on the bottom. Plus, this photo of a museum bird shows four on top:

Tigercat046

I tell you, you gotta check these things. Another reason why you should never follow the instructions!   :) 

Cheers,

Bill

• Like 12

Loving how this is turning out.   Always loved the looks of the Tigercat and yours just may push me over the hump to finally finish the AMT kit I've had on the shelf of doom for years.   I can't wait to yours finished.  Without question it's the best 1/72 Tigercat ever.  Bravo sir!

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Navy Bird said:

That sounds to me like the first 49 were delivered as F7F-3N (since Grumman ferried the aircraft directly to Lockheed) and that the other 57 were originally delivered as some other variant. Do you know the story behind those 57? 

they were converted by Heinz!

Ok, I'll get me coat.....

Looking very nice with the stickers on Bill!

Ian

• Like 2

I may have stated my complete infatuation (read: unnatural lust) for twin radials, but I feel like the Tigercat is firmly among the top five. Along with the Havoc, Black widow, Invader, and Baltimore of course.

The engine details are giving me palpitations Bill, the skill with which you wrangle these tiny parts mystifies me! 

Love the latest progress, goes without saying, the GSB is nicely opaque.

I hope your moments of recovery arent as rough as they sound, and that you get back to what you love doing Mose sooner than later.

Cheers fella

• Like 1