Anson diorama

Mattlaker

Hi all,

haven't had the chance to post this on here, so here is a brief catch up on what has been going on.

Returned to modelling after a protracted break of about 4 years, and decided to start with a build of a plane close to my heart- it was on Ansons that my late Grandfather served out the war, both at RAF Wigtown in Scotland, and later at RAF Bishop's Court in Northern Ireland, working as a radio engineer. I have wanted to build one for a long time, and decided that it was the right time to do so. I didn't just want to build the plane- I wanted to build an operational one that has seen a bit of use being kept airworthy as a diorama. What better to go with it than the ubiquitous Austin Tilly?! Also, it is an excuse to get the RAF groundcrew figures out of the stash and do something with them!

box shot

2012-08-31114854_800x600.jpg

In box- this is a seriously detailed kit inside and out, with a whole host of Resin and PE as standard.

2012-08-31115752_450x600.jpg

Interior with scratchbuilt coffee cup and detail- I wanted this to be a well used airframe, so weathered it fairly heavily inside and added the cup (made from a 1:48 Swordfish torpedo and some spare PE) to give it the impression of being 'used and abused'. A bit of artistic licence used here...

IMG_7202_zpsc395d549.jpg

Closed up with paint and decals

IMG_7260.jpg

Anson done

IMG_7263_zpsc3f3d585.jpg

Completed the accompanying Tilly

IMG_7288_zps8f6b7a3d.jpg

and where I am currently at

IMG_7289_zps9da83047.jpg

More to follow :) Thanks for looking!

the base is a granite worktop protector from Sainsbury's, masked, primed, painted and given a scatter. This will be weathered and oilstained when I position the Annie and Tilly on completion.

• Like 3

I've made one of these and have another to make when I get the time - the kit represents "Annie" very well I think, though there are a few challenges like the "floating nacelles" (what do you attach them to?!), the correct diameter to open out the front of the nacelles, and the angle of the undercart. You've done a superb job with yours, I especially like the interior. I'm going to open the door on my next one, which will be an AGS one, with pupil gunners climbing out.

Max

• Like 1

It is a bit of a pain to get the two fuselage halves together just in front of the turret- that was the only problem I found really- the wings had a lovely habit of shifting as the dried- if I made another I would construct a jig to hold them in place and probably would thin the trailing edge down slightly too. I would also dremel the upper fuselage section down to make the gap here smaller. For the undercarriage, the assembly instructions here are disconcertingly vague for the inner nacele. Luckily mine went in almost perfectly. The UC legs are a touch too long to my eyes, so needed a mm or so trimming off to get the angle right- used ref. photos from the one at Duxford for that!

Fantastic work mate,

Especially on the Tilly!!

I have the Airfix Anson but I haven't yet found the courage to start building it, especially since the cockpit is so sparse!!

I have thought though to at least ask from somebody who has it in 1/48 scale to loan me or measure the interior's skeleton dimensions in order to try to represent it in my kit.

Again, fantastic work mate.

Cheers

Sernak

Thanks for the comments- good to know I am on the right track! Ok, some more progress on this one- I made a start on the figures to adorn the dio, and have now got a host of RAF ground crew made up ready to go. On the down side, I also have a lot of other figures who are also made up, and I am sure that I may be falling into the trap of overpopulating the scene. So, the options are as follows-

Radio engineer making his way into the plane starboard side (definite)

Mechanic heading from back of tilly towards engine with a jerry can (definite)

Officer kneeling with dog figure and WAAF behind the tilly (more than likely)

Two aircrew walking away discussing flight tactics (possibly, but do I need them?)

I have been working on constructing more scenary, which will be some rocks (this is supposed to be Wigtown, pre-runway after all...) and a gravel track just brushing the lower right corner of the dio, and will pop in a few bits of shrub to break up the grass (reference photos on 'Secret Scotland' website).

Any suggestions are very welcome!

Ok, update- have been fabricating rocks from filler, these have then been weathered with pastels and some are now fixed to the base to break the ground up slightly. Pleased with the results so far- pictures to follow! Decided to go without the two aircrew, but will keep the officer, dog and WAAF, plus the two groundcrew.

Now finished- ready for inspection thread here http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=234932562