Mild and Bitter

after a lot of faffing about I have finally finished my Airfix 'Mild and Bitter'. I have tried to represent the very tired, weathered appearance these high-time B-26's seem to display in photographs. I have used the excellent salt weathering techniques seen on elsewhere this site which I think worked reasonably well, especially 'fading' the RAF Dark Green which was apparently painted on the wings, nose and tail of this and other Marauders at the time. I am sure I will be open for correction by more knowledgeable experts, but I am pleased, hope you like her too, and many thanks for Wes for providing the markings and to Goose for the kit

IMGP9071.jpg

• Like 3

Good stuff - yeah more pics please! The pics I have of M&B are just before she went back States-side and she was VERY weathered indeed (and I have a couple of her signed by all the air and ground crews before she left)

Good stuff - yeah more pics please! The pics I have of M&B are just before she went back States-side and she was VERY weathered indeed (and I have a couple of her signed by all the air and ground crews before she left)

I found it quite tricky to make my mind up quite what colour she really was and how weathered-best pictures I could find were more generic B 26's, not necessarily from this squadron/group etc so made 'best guess'. would be fascinated to see proper pics if you don't mind, although perhaps I SHOULDN'T! will try to take a few more close-ups when I get a chance, although I didn't think to while I was building it. thanks tp everyone for positive comments

a few more pictures as requested; I'm sorry I didn't take any while I was building it-apart from maybe the weathering I didn't think anyone would be interested. I made a little ammo box and some pretend .50 cals for the front turret, and a home-made mid-upper turret, although this was more because I had forgotten from the 1st time I made one of these that you can't leave the turret out and insert after painting, as the kit piece, with it's little Airfix man with his big circular hands WON'T FIT!!! this aircraft therefore is actually carrying part of an Airfix Lanc's cookie as it was the right diameter! I implore you to read a post from Chuck540Z3 regarding salt weathering, because although I'd dabbled on and off before this piece really made me go for it and I am pleased. there is some oil paint weathering on it too, partly to hide blemishes (no point in lying).http://www.britmodel...p?showuser=7151

a few shots:

IMGP9130.jpg

IMGP9115.jpg

IMGP9082.jpg

IMGP9076.jpg

I hope these pictures work, I may bnot be the world's greatest modeller but I'm better at that than working these forums. fingers crossed............

• Like 1

Very nice model. What you have created is a very good recreation of how paint faded on airplanes in the ETO. As all you Europeans know better than I, your part of the world is perhaps the least-sunny on the planet, due to the collision of the Gulf Stream with the Arctic Ocean at your high latitudes. The result is that airplanes didn't fade (that much) sitting on the ground. and the fading happened at altitude - above the clouds. As a result, the UV radiation was stronger, which had a quite radical effect on paints. It brings out both the red and the green that are in US Olive Drab, with a result that frequently looks like this. Given that early war US OD (used up through 1943) is based originally on the WW1 specification for PC.10, as was British RAF Dark Green, the colors are quite similar, which could give the impression of the airplane having been overpainted with RAF Dark Green (which in fact often happened in England, since US paints were not that available - most of the camouflage of US 8th Fighter Command P-51s and P-47s done "in the field" used RAF Dark Green for the upper color, not OD). The UV effect is also why German RLM75 turns "voilet" and why RLM74 gets a darker green shade after use.

HTH

Edited by TCinLA
  • Like 1

Great build, built this myself last year, it's a great kit for its age. You've done yours fantastically well,especially the

weathering.

Sean