Italeri 1/48 Chinook

Paul Bradley

Here's my completed Italeri 1/48 Chinook - and you guys thought I only talked about models....... :winkgrin:

italeri_chinook01.jpg

Not a bad kit by any means. A little under-detailed, and the blades of course are not correct. :rolleyes:

italeri_chinook02.jpg

Expect a full review build in the iPMS/USA Journal later this year.

Edited by Paul Bradley

And build them bloody well you do too!!.

John.

WOW that is a lovely model. :analintruder:

Now if only someone would do a up to date desert fit for them then I would be in heaven. :pray:

Also what is wrong with the blades (not knowing that there is a problem with them)????

Windy

That's a spelndid version of my favourtie chopper Paul - :clap2:

If you don't mind me pointing out that the wheel hubs are actually Dark Green though and not a light Grey - just in case.

Thanks for that, Gary - I shall take the appropriate corrective action!

WOW that is a lovely model. :analintruder:

Also what is wrong with the blades (not knowing that there is a problem with them)????

Basically, RAF Chinooks were issued with metal blades with a 90 degree angle to the blade cuff (?). Later they were retrofitted with fibre glass blades with a 50 degree blade cuff. Also, these later blades were broader chord.

The kit blades are neither here nor there - too broad for the early blades, but featuring the 90 degree cuff.

See also this thread: http://www.britmodeler.com/forums/index.ph...=chinook+blades

And thank you all for the kind words! :blush:

Edited by Paul Bradley

Paul,

Not that you care, but you may want to note in your review that the Canadian option is another bogus Italeri reseach job. The CAF had no CH-147s in 2004. (Maybe 1984...) The colour call outs are bogus and though I haven't seen the decal sheet, I'm sure the maple leafs have little basis in reality.

Jim

Paul,

Not that you care, but you may want to note in your review that the Canadian option is another bogus Italeri reseach job. The CAF had no CH-147s in 2004. (Maybe 1984...) The colour call outs are bogus and though I haven't seen the decal sheet, I'm sure the maple leafs have little basis in reality.

Jim

Thanks for that, Jim, I will include it in my review. I have photos of Italian and Australian Chinooks, and those decal options look to be pretty accurate.

Why is it that Italeri are so bad at this? Heck, they could pay some of us on here a small stipend and I'm sure we could come up with better and more accurate options. :shrug:

That's a nice job :worthy: It's the incorrect blades that have so far made me refrain from buying this kit.

Cheers, Graham.

Correcting the blades is not that difficult, its a question of making a template to ensure they are all the same.

Has anyone measure the blades and compared that to the full size ? They look a bit short to me (spent a few years working on Chinooks)

Still a very nice model though.

Wish I had access; and no-one here appears to have done so - at least, not when I inquired about 2 months ago.

Looks awesome Paul!! Might have a go at Ians blades when he finishes them up because she looks purty in Brit livery!!

How was the glass fit?? I have heard it can be "challenging".

A bit - you have to make sure you have got the alignment of the inner cabin to the outer fuselage right. I had a little issue on the port side.....

And thank you all for your kind words!

Edited by Paul Bradley

Blades? Incorrect? Heck, every model I've ever built has got an incorrect something. But as has been said, incorrect blades or not, she's lovely! I don't know why, but I've got a soft spot for Chinook and you've made a great replica there. :goodjob:

Wow, nice work. The twin egg beater looks good in Brit colors. Did you add any extras, or is it pretty much box stock?

BTW, what era is it depicted in?

Mike V

The large Union flag was added when Chinooks were used to evacuate Brits from Lebanon - I believe that was mid 80's Mike

Wow, nice work. The twin egg beater looks good in Brit colors. Did you add any extras, or is it pretty much box stock?

BTW, what era is it depicted in?

Mike V

Hi, The Other Mike, and thanks! This one depicts an aircraft of BritForLeb, the British contingent in Lebanon in 1984. Extras include some Eduard PE, particularly in the cockpit area and the various grilles. I also added some wine bottle foil to the ceiling to add a bit of texture and life - the moulded part was a bit "flat." For the rest, you'll have to read the article when it appears in the Journal.....!