Revell London bus, Routemaster RML

richellis

Revell London Bus, Routemaster RML

1:24 injection moulded kit from Revell.

routemaster%20001.JPG

Think of London, and I bet one of the first images you think will be a Red double decker bus, and it will probably be a half cab bus with an open platform at the back. The Routemaster hit the streets right back in 1956 (a prototype version) and is still in service today, on 2 heritage routes. The Routemaster was designed by AEC as a front engine bus with an open rear platform to make it easy for passengers to hop on and off. Some different versions where built with rear doors and some had doors at the front of the body. The Routemaster was originally built 27ft 6inch and given the designation RM, but a change in the law in the UK allowed buses to be 30ft long so the RML was born (exept some short Routmasters built by Leyland thet where RMLs!). The RML can be distinguished from its smaller brother by the square windows half way down the body. Some RMs where cut and lengthened during their service life.

Between 1992 and 94 a life extension program was introduced with most Routemaster being refurbished to extend their service life. This included a new interior and new engines, either Iveco or Cummins units replacing the AEC or Leyland engines. Some Routemaster (mainly the ones owned by London Central, Stagecoach and Arriva) received new Scania engines. Lots of Routemaster buses have now moved to new operators, or to museums or private owners, mostly restored to their London Transport red livery or being used for a variety of new jobs, from Cafes, to offices, mobile homes to name a few!

This kit gives you the option of 2 versions of the RML, a modernised Scania engine bus with the big advertising hoardings on the sides (RML 2757) and an earlier Leyland engine bus (RML 2273). This is a big box; in the shot above I'’ve placed a 6"” ruler on the box to give it some scale. It'’s not a kit you could miss in a shop, nor will the postie miss it in the bottom of his bag! On the top of the box is a nice picture of a Routemaster passing Big Ben. As is normal some info on the paint colours you need, some history and some shots of a built model are also on the box sides. There is a lot in this box so I’ll try and break it down a bit!

routemaster%20002.JPG

routemaster%20003.JPG

The first 2 sprues we will look at include the main sided of the bus the stairs, the back panel and some interior bits. The detail on these parts is first class. The rivet detail on the body looks bang on scale, and the beading that covers the joins in the body panels on the bus looks good as well. There is no flash on the kit, some moulding pips and bars will need care to remove over the whole kit, but nothing major.

routemaster%20004.JPG

The next sprue has the underside of the floor and some of the chassis parts on. The Routemaster doesn’t have a traditional chassis, having 2 sub frames connected by the aluminium body. The moulded in part in the centre of the chassis is the Routemaster gearbox - an AEC 4-speed automatic/semi-automatic unit. It looks nice but some time with some wire will give a bit more detail to the underside of your bus.

The large part on the top left is the roof for the top of the bus, and can be left un-glued so it can be removed to allow the interior to be viewed.

routemaster%20005.JPG

This sprue contains some more of the chassis, and some of the running gear with the rear axle and other bits for the underside.

routemaster%20006.JPG

This is the floor the lower deck, including the rear platform. There is some excellent detail on the floor and some careful painting and weathering will make this stand out.

routemaster%20007.JPG

This sprue is the side walls for the lower saloon, going as high as the windows, with the supports for the many seats you will be adding to this kit!

routemaster%20008.JPG

This is the floor of the upper saloon, and again the detail on the floor is top class. Also on here is one side wall, again with supports to help you get all the seats in place!

routemaster%20020.JPG

Here we have some more interior parts, as expected all very nice and with good surface detail.

routemaster%20017.JPG

routemaster%20018.JPG

routemaster%20019.JPG

As shown above you get double (two of each!) of these sprues. In the main they are the seat frames and they are very fine, but care will be needed when removing from the sprues. The final 2 sprues have the seat cushions on, decals are supplied for the covering - more on these later on! The rest of this sprue has some body parts and the wheels, which are fantastic with some great detail and the fronts have separate step rings.

routemaster%20012.JPG

This next part is the first of 3 big mouldings for the bodywork on the bus. This is the upper rear section (over the stairs) and is a lovely moulding with the same detail seen on the rest of the parts. There are some internal moulding sprues that will need careful removing from the windows with sprue cutters.

routemaster%20013.JPG

This part is the upper deck front section and includes the windows and destination blind from the front of the bus. The grill detail below the blind is nicely captured on this part.

routemaster%20014.JPG

Lastly for these big sections is the cab and wing section. To my eye they capture the shape of the Routemaster perfectly. At first I wondered why Revell moulded the parts like this, but it looks like it will make it easier to do different versions of the Routemaster. Maybe a Green Line Coach version…? We can hope..

Now the engines. You have a choice of engines to pop in your model, a classic 9.6l Leyland 6-cylinder diesel or a newer Scania block.

routemaster%20015.JPG

The sprue above carries the Scania Diesel engine, and this should be used if modelling a more modernised Routemaster, the detail is good, and you could go to town on this and have a super detailed engine, which with the option of doing an open bonnet on a build, would really show off the engine compartment.

routemaster%20016.JPG

The Classic Leyland Diesel can be seen above. You may guess which one I'’ll be using! Again, it is well moulded and looks a good representation of the Leyland engine. As previously, some extra detail can be added to your build.

routemaster%20021.JPG

The final sprue contains the grill surround and some of the various hand rails for the bus. Take lots of care when removing these from the sprue as they look delicate. There is some nice detail on these parts including the mounting plates with screws, and the grip added to some of the rails being very nicely done.

routemaster%20022.JPG

routemaster%20023.JPG

There are 3 clear sprues all separately bagged in my sample kit, with some nice moulded detail for the opening windows.

routemaster%20024.JPG

There are 6 rubber tyres with nice tread detail and some good detail on the side walls of the tyres.

routemaster%20009.JPG

The decal sheet is massive! It holds decals for all the seat covers and the big advertisements (they are decals) for the newer version. The details on this sheet are very fine, and I have taken some detail shots to show below

routemaster%20010.JPG

routemaster%20011.JPG

Conclusion

Some of you know how exited I have been waiting for this kit, and am I happy with it? YES!!!! It’s a cracking kit, well moulded, top quality detail and lots of scope for different versions, liveries and uses. I think I need 10 kits currently for all the conversions I want to do! You could go to town on the detail when building but just as easily build out of the box (OOB) and still have an outstanding model.

I'’m off to clear a big space on the bench and start to build it!

Revell model kits are available from all good toy and model retailers. For further information visit

logo-revell-2009.gif

hi all

did the toyfair / swapmeet at the NEC today

the revel routemaster wes on offer form several traders /retailers for £32....and i bet if you offered cash

you could easly get for £30....much to my surprice ..chatting to one retailer ..he had 4 from revell

befour xmas ..and has only sold 1 ?

iain

WOW that looks pretty good.

I must admit to not being a vehicle modeller but this kit does look good. I might get one if I see it for the right price.

Nice to see revell doing these.

Julien

Call me a pedant if you like but why is a bus that goes from Dalston to Piccadilly Circus heading south over Westminster Bridge???

Something to ponder over the mince pies....

Cheers all

Jim

• Like 1

The drivers new on the job and lost? :whistle:

No in all honesty I think its just for sheer advertising, The Palace of Westminster is iconic round the globe and the image depicted, although very wrong to us who have been to London and been on a 38, is very iconic and will help sell boxes out with the UK...

Same reason the taxi is depicted on a stretch of road that looks like the mall but is right next to Tower Bridge...

James

Same reason the taxi is depicted on a stretch of road that looks like the mall but is right next to Tower Bridge...

James

Because the passenger is a Japanese tourist?

Call me a pedant if you like but why is a bus that goes from Dalston to Piccadilly Circus heading south over Westminster Bridge???

Something to ponder over the mince pies....

Cheers all

Jim

I find that quite amusing.

Hi, I know this has been covered in the thread in 'vehicles' but for the avoidance of doubt for anyone reading this, the kit comes with the (correct) AEC engine for the earlier version, not Leyland as described in the instructions.

Edited by andyman7

Some build shots, but these are from a conversion Im doing, a shorter RM! Any way,

Revell%20RM%20002.JPG

This shot shows the rear platform and stair detail, no filler has been needed on this area, it is in the basic Revell 331 Purple Red as advised on the instructions. The stair treads need adding, as do the hand rails and decals!

Revell%20RM%20005.JPG

I have added the decals to the seats, I firstly painted the parts in a dark Grey, as per the instructions. The decals are an OK fit and will need some matt varnish!

Close detail of the seat decals

Revell%20RM%20006.JPG

Looking fantastic! I saw the built up model at Telford, and whilst being totally impressed with it, I thought that the domed rivets were somewhat overdone! I can't remember them being this prominent, but maybe thats just my faulty memory! Any thoughts?

Close detail of the seat decals

Revell%20RM%20006.JPG

Forgive me for saying this, but those seats don't look right to me. The tartan fabric pattern should extend down the sides as well, but the decals aren't big enough for that and the grey undercoat is jarring against the overall reddish shade. I think I'll try to get a rough match to the main colour of the fabric - it'll still be noticeable but maybe won't stand out so much.

Unless of course the aftermarket decal guys can produce a solid block of the tartan pattern which can be chopped up to fill in the gaps?

Other than that, looking very nice indeed!

Looks great but it might just brake the bank by the time it gets down here to the bottom of Africa! There is good thread going on IPMS UK forums, Nick Allan had found pics of a chopped (in length) towing version with a web site to visit.

I will however follow this thread just out of interest.

Colin on the Africa Station

Forgive me for saying this, but those seats don't look right to me. The tartan fabric pattern should extend down the sides as well, but the decals aren't big enough for that and the grey undercoat is jarring against the overall reddish shade. I think I'll try to get a rough match to the main colour of the fabric - it'll still be noticeable but maybe won't stand out so much.

Unless of course the aftermarket decal guys can produce a solid block of the tartan pattern which can be chopped up to fill in the gaps?

Other than that, looking very nice indeed!

I seem to recall ( a long time ago) the edges of the seats having a brown leather/leather cloth material. Am I mistaken?

Trubbie

Humbrol 132 Satin Red appears to be a reasonably close match to the overall shade of the seat decals, at least judging by the colour of the lid.

You can see how the pattern doesnt go to the edge of the seat, although the revell instructions show Grey, but this RM is a dark reddy. 114.JPG

I was going by this one - presumably from an earlier era so different practice.

Routemasterseat.jpg