What-if Osprey VCA.1

OSPREY VCA. 1

With the advent of the British super carriers, the admiralty started looking for a more capable, longer range helicopter to act as anti ship/submarine, anti piracy and also as a troop and supply delivery system.
The V-22 Osprey seemed like a natural choice, as it combined the speed and range of an aircraft, with the versatility of a helicopter.
In order to meet the roles expected of it, the Sea Spray radar, optics, and self defence systems, as well as the offensive capability of the Lynx HMA.8 were fitted to the airframe.
The capability to carry up to 4 Sea Skua anti ship missiles, or a combination of missiles, depth charges and torpedoes, as well as assault troops, makes it a very useful asset.
It's secondary role of COD (Carrier onboard delivery) is another string to its bow. Not only able to, via in flight refuelling, to resupply the carrier itself, but it can delivery straight to thensure smaller ships of the fleet.

Kit is the Italeri 1/48 V-22, with additional parts from the Airfix Lynx HMA.8

Rear cargo area given extra detailing (sides and roof) and forward door cut out, and steps scratchbuilt.

20160502_101919_zpstrowguhs.jpg
20160502_101854_zpsto2qhxxa.jpg
20160502_101844_zpslj2emfoc.jpg
20160502_101839_zpspql4vgaj.jpg
20160502_101829_zpsuknnmeut.jpg
20160502_101820_zpslrqgvzap.jpg
20160502_101812_zps1aas2ugn.jpg
20160502_102018_zpshf30pmwp.jpg
20160502_102002_zpsg163uwju.jpg
20160502_101936_zpsiyagfdmf.jpg
20160502_101955_zpsoahc13iq.jpg

• Like 30

Great work......... and.... one of the more believable what ifs.

I bet some one along the line actually thought of this.

Nice one :thumbsup2:

Very clever,.....and beautifully built........I did one in overall green as a Jungly a few years ago!

Cheers

Tony

• Like 1

I used to build lot's of 'What Ifs', and always tried to keep them close to believable... You've done exactly that. Great build well modelled, sir.

Ian.

• Like 2

I used to build lot's of 'What Ifs', and always tried to keep them close to believable... You've done exactly that. Great build well modelled, sir.

Ian.

Same here. I try to find actual alternatives to aircraft we got, or to roles that could be filled

• 3 weeks later...

Something that's never really crossed my mind but now I've seen it done it certainly intrigues me, may have to give it a try sometime, just need to think of a believable what if aircraft......

Very well done by the way, love the idea of British Ospreys.

Dear UK Govt.

I live near Yeovilton & the skies have been a bit boring since the Harriers went.

As I've been a good boy can we have these stationed there please.

P.s. Can we scrap the silly F-35 idea and get some Rafale M's instead, I know it means putting a cat on HMS Kate Middleton & HMS Camilla Parker-Bowles but it would make my life more interesting.

Thanks.

Great Whiff and not out of the realms of possibilty. :-D

Edited by At Sea