IAC P-40

Muller

I originally was going to enter only one build in this GB, an Irish Air Corps F-15. I was thinking of a story behind it and came up an historical reason for them having these aircraft, which inspired another build. So here goes...

December 11 1941, Germany & Italy declare war on the United States, the US returns the favour. After much debate, on December 16, the Irish govt relinquishes it's neutral status and allies itself with the US & Britain and declares war on Germany. February 1942 the 1st US forces begin arriving in Ireland.

Over the next 6 months, the USAAF begins expanding existing IAC airfields and establishes new ones. The US supplies lend/lease aircraft to the IAC and begins training new recruits before deployment to the Desert Air Force in North Africa and re-enforcing the RAF over mainland Britain.

My build will be an IAC P-40B based at Casement Aerodrome in Baldonnel. The scheme will be US olive drab over medium grey (or is that gray??) with an olive green camo pattern. A bit like this Russian P-40E. I reckon it'll look cool with IAC roundels.

1_7_b2.jpg

This'll be the 3rd P-40 I've built. :banghead:

kEITH: gOOD sHOW!! Can't have too many P-40's [ IMO].. :analintruder:

Cheers,

ggc

• 3 weeks later...

Made a start on this one this weekend.

Here's the kit, Trumpeter P-40B.

P1000271.jpg

There's a bit of a dodgy kit cockpit in this, its too shallow, so I'm using this resin pit from Legend, it's not for the Trumpeter kit but it's not too difficult to make it fit (apparently....)

P1000274.jpg

Max Decals IAC sheets, I'll be using the seafire roundels (149), I have a spare set in a spitfire sheet somewhere, the stripes on the 2nd sheet are for under the wings.

P1000275.jpg

I got the dremel out to remove the moulded mounts for the kit cockpit.

P1000276.jpg

Painted and weathered the resin pit. I need to remove the raised panel circled, I'm a bit nervous about putting the dremel anywhere near the outside!

P1000282.jpg

That's it till the weekend chaps, thanks for looking!

great start... I love cockpits - wish I could get mine to look half as good..... my WHIF has a covered cockpit (damaged canpoy well beyond repair) so that should speed my build up no end ;-)

• 3 weeks later...

Cheers fellas, here's a quick update, it's not going as quick as I'd like, a few more bits painted, wheel bits have brake-lines added with stretched sprue. The fuselage halves are together, wings are together and part painted. There's a fair bit of filling and sanding required on this one.

P1000289.jpg

(apologies for the crap workbench pic!)

Cheers fellas, Col not too much filling required, not as bad as other builds I've done. I got the resin pit fitted, it wasn't as difficult as I thought it would be seeing as it's not designed for this kit. Wings and tailplanes are one, and the whole thing is primed. Ready for some pre-shading now......

P1000327.jpg

P1000332.jpg

P1000333.jpg

Cheers lads!

Got it painted up over the last couple of days. I used a combination of Humbrol & WEM enamels and Tamiya acrylics, I decided to go with a white spinner and rudder.

P1000337.jpg

P1000335.jpg

P1000338.jpg

Now I'll give it a couple of coats of Klear before decalling.

Thanks for looking!

Cheers fellas, topside decals on and slathered in MM Softer. Not too impressed with them, bits of white showing along the edges of a couple of them.....

P1000339.jpg

Still, I think it looks good in those markings. I'll wait for these to settle and dry completely before tackling the underwing stripes.

Cheers fellas, topside decals on and slathered in MM Softer. Not too impressed with them, bits of white showing along the edges of a couple of them.....

P1000339.jpg

Still, I think it looks good in those markings. I'll wait for these to settle and dry completely before tackling the underwing stripes.

That is coming along very nicely.

Thanx,

Carl

Cheers fellas, I've been away from the bench for a couple of days. I've found that a 2c coin is the same size as the wing roundels so I'll use one to mask it and spray over it to eliminate the white bits, the fin flashes are the same. I'm sticking the underwing stripes and numbers right now...

Cheers jynski, not on a school night though!

Got the decals on, letting them settle overnight.

P1000340.jpg

You can just make it out in the pic, I thought the rudder looked a bit bare so I stuck a yellow 1 on it from a bf109 decal sheet I had left over.

Next up is my favourite bit, dirtying it up a bit!

Thanks again fellas, not much of an update, and these pics don't really show it (I need to learn how to use the decent camera I bought!) I added some paint-chipping on the wing roots and the gun access panels. The exhausts are painted, just dry-fitted for now. And i gave it wash with some pro-modellers wash, 1st time I've used this stuff, its GREAT!! The pics don't really show the results of the wash though.....

P1000352.jpg

P1000353.jpg

Next up is some exhaust stains, oil stains and gun stains...

then I have to tackle the bit I hate most, masking and painting the canopy. <_<

Thanks for looking. :)