Spitfire Mk. IXc

Jens

Having received my second 1/32 Tamiya Spitfire Mk. IXc earlier this week I could really use some help being pointed in the right direction.

My first Mk. IXc will most probably be a standard early Mk. IXc (DU-N) with rounded rudder etc. I wouldn't mind if my second Mk. IXc ends up being a little different, e.g. has clipped wings, pointed rudder and carrying bombs. I prefer Spits with British roundels, but stars 'n' bars will do. A French Spit is out of the question though. :)

Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Jens

I'm rather partial to a Danish one- don't know about the bombs, but clipped wings and pointy rudder. I imagine it would be an 'e', but I'd have to check. It all comes down to one shot in Spit the History, canopy slid back, just saying, "C'mon boy, you know you want to..."

bob

Edited by gingerbob

I'm rather partial to a Danish one- don't know about the bombs, but clipped wings and pointy rudder. I imagine it would be an 'e', but I'd have to check. It all comes down to one shot in Spit the History, canopy slid back, just saying, "C'mon boy, you know you want to..."

bob

Here you go Bob,this one's all clipped wings and pointy rudder B)

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Air/Su...47731911997ba9c

And in her wartime colours to boot.

Mark

Thanks for the replies.

Bob, the Danish ones all had e wings, so unfortunately that's a no-go. Same for the one Mark posted.

Mental, that is a sad story. Unfortunately it's not possible (for me that is) to determine if it's a c or an e wing. Also, the markings are not clear from the picture.

Regards,

Jens

Dear Jens;

Take a look over at Hyperscale.com site for their "Spitfire Build" that's currently going on, you might find something there to give you some ideas.

I just saw a Spitfire IXc "Early" built by Stehane Sagrols that he did it in the markings of US Ace Sqn. Leader Lance C. Wade.

It's in RAF Desert Camo with British markings, with a Red Spinner. You could call it "A Yank in the RAF"...

That would be different and easy to do also!

Hope this helps...

Thank you for the reply Thomas. I have been following the Spitfire theme on HS (and even posted one myself), and the Mk. IXc you mention could be a candidate. Still, one with clipped wings and pointed rudder would be nice. :)

Regards,

Jens

Thank you for the reply Thomas. I have been following the Spitfire theme on HS (and even posted one myself), and the Mk. IXc you mention could be a candidate. Still, one with clipped wings and pointed rudder would be nice. :)

Regards,

Jens

Clipped wings and pointed rudder all but limits you to a Mk XVI anyway.

I'm certain that Roy Sutherland is working on extra bits for the Tamiya Spit. Quickboost and Ultracast are sure to be at work on Spit IX parts, too. Since you CAN get to a IXe from Tamiya kit with a little resin help I'd wait a bit if you're set on clipped wings and the pointed rudder.

OR you could do an FR IXc in PRU Pink!

Cheers

Here you go Bob,this one's all clipped wings and pointy rudder B)

http://www.airliners.net/photo/UK---Air/Su...47731911997ba9c

And in her wartime colours to boot.

Mark

That's an IXe (note the outboard cannon location)... If Tamiya or the aftermarket would get on it, there are loads of pretty 'e' winged Spits, but you can't get there from here with the current Tamiya Spit boxing.

J

That's an IXe (note the outboard cannon location)... If Tamiya or the aftermarket would get on it, there are loads of pretty 'e' winged Spits, but you can't get there from here with the current Tamiya Spit boxing.

J

Now then,you're right Jennings,but (it's actually MK356,the BBMF's IX/XVI)I'm sure she should have a c wing fitted,

but currently sports an e.

She's also recently had a Merlin 66 fitted back in again.

I'll have a look to see what else I can find.

I have my new Airfix IX slated to do this very aircraft.

Mark

Edited by Miggers

How about this?:

On Target Profile 8 (Photo Reconnaissance Spitfires in Worldwide Service) has, on page 20, a profile of a Spitfire FR IXc of No. 40 Sqn, SAAF, in a nonstandard Dark Earth and Dark Green over Azure Blue scheme. Coded WR-Z in 18" white letters with the serial RK850 6" high, it has the South African orange centered roundels and a red spinner. Clipped wingtips, broad chord rudder and "c" wing armament. Of course, the downside is it's a starbord profile only and a nonstandard camo pattern, and the only reference cited is a private photo collection, so some guesswork is likely necessary on the camoflage. Also, being an FR IX means you'd need to scratchbuild at the very least a camera port and maybe the camera installation and the code and serial sizes might be difficult to source from existing sheets. But on the bright side it is a c-wing with clipped wings, a pointy rudder and a rather unusual scheme...

Edited by Sabre_days

Sabre_days, I have learned not to trust profiles, and the On Target book is no exception. I already have found mistakes in their PR Type A profile and decals. :(

I have found out that the Ventura Classic Warbirds No. 6 book has a feature on early Mk. IXs. There are several interesting IXc's there, including MA350/JM-C with broad chord rudder. I will have to make my own masks for that one, it seems.

Regards,

Jens

Sabre_days, I have learned not to trust profiles, and the On Target book is no exception. I already have found mistakes in their PR Type A profile and decals. :(

A wise policy, always best to check with primary sources if possible and rely solely on secondary sources only if absolutely necessary. I've also noticed that the drawings of BR416 (PR. ID Trop with high-altitude wingtips) seem to show the Rotol propeller but the head-on view of the prop looks like the DeHavilland unit. Difficult to tell which they mean and with only primary sources I don't have access to cited it's virtually impossible to check. Having said that, I really do like the On Target book a lot, plenty of inspiration in there, but it is frustrating when one can't quite tell how much to trust it...

There was also a recent article on Mk. IX camoflage in Model Aircraft Monthly recently (I think it was 8 no. 7). Some interesting speculation in there on some of the early production IXs possibly having carried nonstandard schemes (Medium Sea Grey for both the uppersurface camoflage gray and the undersurfaces on one and possibly PRU Blue undersurfaces on another, for example). Of course, it's all a bit speculative going from b&w photos, but there definitely are some cases where the contrast in the photos doesn't look right for the standard late war Day Fighter scheme...

Edited by Sabre_days

Incidentally, since I'm planning to model the PR.I series variants, including the PR Type A, mind if I ask what those mistakes were?

Well, the profile and decal instructions show no underwing roundels, but the Type A did have underwing roundels. Also, I think the placement of the cameras are wrong, and I am not sure about the colour of the serial number. I would have used Pavla's black version if it wasn't so big.

Beware that the white of the MA decals are rather transluscent.

If interested you can see my build here: Spit PR Type A WIP

Regards,

Jens

MK356 and ML417(ex TFC) were on the same squadron together (443 RCAF) in June 1944, they were both built as Mk. IXc Spitfire with full span wings and served as such at this time, they also had the standard chord rudder and not the later broad chord ones they are fitted with today.MK356 gained 'e' wings when she took on the wings of Mk. XVIe SL674 during restoration in the 90's.

ML417 was converted by Vickers Armstrongs to Tr.IX standard after the war and served with the Indian air force, whether she gained he 'e' wing then or when she was restored back to a single seater in the 1980's I don't know,she is now in the U.S. with Tom Friedkin.

Well, the profile and decal instructions show no underwing roundels, but the Type A did have underwing roundels. Also, I think the placement of the cameras are wrong, and I am not sure about the colour of the serial number. I would have used Pavla's black version if it wasn't so big.

Beware that the white of the MA decals are rather transluscent.

If interested you can see my build here: Spit PR Type A WIP

Regards,

Jens

Thanks, I'll make a note of that. And thanks for the link.

Unfortunately it's not possible (for me that is) to determine if it's a c or an e wing. Also, the markings are not clear from the picture.

Hi Jens,

That's a c wing with the outer cannon port faired over. No idea about the markings though.

Dave.

Any suggestions?

Hi Jens,

You may want to consider this:

http://www.warbirdsmagazine.com/rab/images/RABspit2.jpg

Full article here: http://www.warbirdsmagazine.com/rab/index.html

MJ462/RAB flown by w/c Rolf Arne Berg is a IXc with a standard rudder and wing tips. However it has an attractive spinner band in the colours of Norwegian national markings. It is not as well known as Berg's later Mk IXe PV181/RAB. If you decide to do MJ462, I can supply you with the codes and serials in CorelDraw format. If you give these files to a company that does vinyl advertising stickers, they can cut masks for you.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/weng1/MJ4621.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/weng1/MJ4622.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/1003/weng1/MJ4624.jpg

Dave

Edited by Dave Gibson

Nice job on RAB, Dave - and thanks for the inspiration. I am seriously considering this one.

Also thanks for the suggestions - 443 Sqn RCAF is also on my list of possible options.

Regards,

Jens

What about Kai Birksted's personal aircraft when he was Wing Commander Flying of the North Weald Wing, with code lettes KB ?

Nils

Was that a IXc? I have been unable to locate any pictures of it.

Regards,

Jens