Spitfire Mk. I PR Type A

Jens

It has been a rather quiet year for me modelling wise - no so on other fronts though. :(

Anyway, one of the kits I have started recently is this Tamiya Spitfire Mk. I.

I Decided to convert it into a PR Type A - a rather simple conversion which includes removing the guns, various panel lines and the aerial mast. Also, I have drilled a hole in each wing representing the camera fitted there. To be honest the hardest part was to figure out where precisely to put the cameras, and I am still not 100 per cent sure I got it right. After all, the profiles in the "On Target Profiles 8" book are the artists interpretation, and the one picture I know of the Type A is too dark to clearly show the cameras.

Today I airbrushed the Spit in overall Humbrol No. 97. It's lighter than Sky but it still has that blue-greenish tone. Anyway, it's my out-of-the-tin interpretation of Camotint. :rolleyes:

SpitPRA_Tam48_1217.jpg

Once the paint has fully cured I will brush on a coat of Kleer in preparation for the decals (either Model Alliance or Pavla).

Comments or any advice or information on the PR Spits are very welcome!

Regards,

Jens

Edited by Jens

Hi Jens

Your PR Spitfire is very nice but I read in an article from Alfred Price in Air International Vol 39 N°1 July 1990 that :

"...all skin joints were filled with plaster of Paris and then rubbed down to give a smooth finnish. As a result the modified aircraft had a maximum speed 10-15 mph greater than that of the fighter version."

Patrick

Thanks Patrick,

I have read that part too, but looking at a picture of N3071 I clearly see some panel lines. I have filled most of the panel lines on the wings though. I guess you could call it a compromise. ;)

Regards,

Jens

I've build lattely a PR spit myself, and I would have like to have this book at the moment:

CW0811-cover.jpg

The PR spit operational story was written in a precedent volume, and this one deal with the technical side of the aircraft.

Many pics, drawing, profiles, recommanded to any PR spit fan.

My thoughts exactly woody37. :)

Antoine, I received that book earlier this week. While it's good it does not contain as much information on the early PR Spits as I had hoped. It sure will come in handy when I am going to build the other PR Spits.

Regards,

Jens

Yes, you're absolutely right.

But I think that any search on technical information for early PR spit marks is nearly hopeless anyway (Too few arcrafts, quickly replaced by newer models, and quickly forgotten).

So its starting with techs specs from late model could be interesting.

From the pics, your interpretation of camotint looks good to me.

Sad you didn't start with a step by step of your build.

Edited by Antoine

From the pics, your interpretation of camotint looks good to me.

Sad you didn't start with a step by step of your build.

Thanks Antoine. Since we don't have a colour photo of the Camotint Spits we will never know what it really looked like, so anyone's guess is as good as mine. I just wanted my PR A to stand out from the crowd of Spitfires on the shelf so I painted it with a lighter colour than the standard Sky. ;)

As for the step-by-step build there wasn't much to it. Apart from the gunsight I built it straight from the box, and the camera holes have just been drilled into the lower wings. The canopy is from the kit (the PR A had standard armoured windscreen) except for the sliding part which is from Falcon.

I will shoot some pictures of the next PR Spit once I start converting it. :)

Regards,

Jens

Time for a small update. Since last time I have gloss-coated the model, and last night I put on the Model Alliance decals. The serial number and the white areas of the roundels are rather translucent so I'm glad the base colour is so light. The positive thing about the MA decals is that the conformed well to the surfaces and panel lines.

Anyway, here it is as it looked after putting on the decals:

SpitPRA_Tam48_1237.jpg

SpitPRA_Tam48_1240.jpg

SpitPRA_Tam48_1242.jpg

SpitPRA_Tam48_1239.jpg

I gave the model an overall semi-gloss coat earlier today. With a little luck it should be finished before 2010. :who-let-rip:

Regards,

Jens

I forgot to mention that I have decided not to give the panel lines a wash as I think they stand out enough as it is. I will add some staining later though.

Regards,

Jens

Thanks Ben.

AFAIK the Type A did not have roundels underneath the wings but I could be wrong. Where have you seen it with lower wing roundels?

Regards,

Jens

Both of these photos are of N3071:

n3071-1.jpg

n3071-2.jpg

Edit: Also note that the left U/C leg and wheel hub are black, and the right are white (from when the aircraft was painted in the white/black underside scheme).

Edited by ben_m

Thanks again Ben. I have never seen the second picture before.

The undercarriage is also painted black/white so that's good. I will have to find a pair of roundels of the right size for the lower wings I guess. :)

Regards,

Jens

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

Thanks god for WIP threads. I have moved the underwing cameras so I have to repaint the lower surfaces, but I was unsure which Humbrol tin to use. :)

I hope I can stick a fork in this one soon!

Jens