PR PINK

goose

Hi i have a 1/48 scale Italeri MKIX Spitfire, the instructions for th photo version says PRU PINK, what colour is this? i use humbrol and revel paints normaly

It is a very pale pink. It is available from Xtracolour, I think, and maybe from WEM. However, the colour is often too saturated and you are probably better just adding a splash of red to your favourite white. It has also been described as off-white, but if this is so then the photos also seem to have magnified the proportion of red.

There was a warbird painted in this scheme, so you should be able to find photos of it on the net, but there the colour was deliberately made more intense by the owner. There are colour photos in Alfred Price's Spitfire Special, and no doubt elsewhere.

Hi i have a 1/48 scale Italeri MKIX Spitfire, the instructions for th photo version says PRU PINK, what colour is this? i use humbrol and revel paints normaly

There is a photo of such an A/C in either vol 2 or 3 of 2nd TAF by Chris Shores and Chris Thomas . As Graham says the colour is more white with a hint of pink rather than a true pink

I'm doing the same A/C only with the Hasegawa MKIX with the Aeroclub corrected Fuselage . Its just a change from the DG/ OG/MSG versions plus I have a spare camera lens from the Airfix MK22/4 kit which I can use.

Cheers

Terry McGrady

PRU Special Pink is a definite pink and is reported by Thomas to be equivalent to 453 Shell Pink in BS 381C. The "off-white" appearance was probably the UV exposed paint surface. The FS equivalent is reported to be 31668 but I have not verified that. These days we would probably describe the colour as "Magnolia"! As Edgar has noted the appearance as applied was probably also affected by how well - or not - the paint had been stirred.

A word of warning, Thomas and BS 381C give different approximate Munsell values, 5.5 RP 8/2.5 and 4.9 R 8.0/2.6 respectively. Those are different hues. I haven't compared them though and bearing in mind the usual response to such precision probably won't bother to do the maths.

I've a suspicion, but no evidence to hand, that the pink (PRU pink?) applied to the Mk.IXs late in the war was deeper than the pink (off-white ?) applied to the earlier PR.VII (aka PR.IG).

Anyone got anything concrete on this ?

Ross

Goose,

God this subject again....! I suspect it will never go away but keep cropping up.

You will get as many opinions about this, as people who post answers.........

There were very few Spitfire IX's that got this colour scheme, let alone photo's taken of them. All 16 Sqn as far as I am aware, one flight purely for dawn/dusk missions.

Feel free to email me, I will email you what few photos there are, or more correctly what I have. Be prepared to get a tin of Humbrol white and add drops, and I mean drops, of red, to your liking...

[email protected]

Colin

Edited by Colin S-K

Hi Goose

if you are referrong to a shop's paint delivery policy then i think Aeroclub, THAS and possibly SBX amongst others stock Xtracolour and will post paints without a kit

hth

You could also try Wonderland models in Edinburgh. They've supplied me with Xtracolour without a kit before.

Stuart Wilson

here is a photo of pru from east fortune

106_0611.jpg

it was a very rough covering and patchy in colour so may not be authentic but restoration

I also use wonderland models a lot and have had no problems with them so far

hope this helps

Edited by delta7

This is an illustration from a (fairly) old book, and it isn't very far off the photo in the RAF Museum; I have a photocopy of that photo (can't get a proper print, any more,) but it won't reproduce properly on here, going virtually white

IXPRpink.jpg

Edgar

This is an illustration from a (fairly) old book, and it isn't very far off the photo in the RAF Museum; I have a photocopy of that photo (can't get a proper print, any more,) but it won't reproduce properly on here, going virtually white

Is that from The Spitfire Story?

When I converted the Occidental kit a decade back (ironically into the version and scheme now reboxed by Italeri) I just eyeballed it until it matched by impressions of various photos - from memory it was Tamiya white with tony drop of red and cut with a drop of grey to tone down the brightness. I think i was going for almost a subliminal pink.

For those with SAM back issues, its March 2000:

pink.jpg

Most pinks on models are far too pink. I even think mine is a bit too too. It should be subtle, soft.

When mixing, just a drop of red to white. Add light gray also, such as aircraft gray. It seems to cut down on the Pepto Bismol candy look.

Must say Steven think this is spot on, nice touch by adding the grey to tone it down I must say.

Doug.

Won't let me send you a message for some reason :shrug: so pm me your addy