1970 Dodge Coronet Super Bee

As far as classic US muscle cars go, I am pretty much a MoPar fan. The AMT kit of the 1970 Super Bee ticked a few boxes for me, spurring a recent purchase.

This variant of the Dodge Coronet was only available for a couple of years and culminated in 1970 with a styling change, most notably the front grille, this was now configured into the shape of outstretched Bumble Bee wings, very pretty!

Unfortunately the kit is a bit of a mish-mash of different boxings. Apparently, the body shell is derived from the mould used to produce the 'Annual kit'. If I recall correctly, these were simplified, built up, model cars that the salesman would present to little Johnny when his Dad picked up his new car.

I chose yellow and black because.... Well, it's a Bumble Bee innit !! 😉 The black bonnet is non-standard but I've seen a few real cars sporting this, I like the look.

Mmm, last year I built the AMT 68 Roadrunner (Pro-Stock version) This was not too bad and went together ok. 

Now, the 70 Super Bee kit shares a floor pan, suspension, and engine with the Roadrunner, problem is, none of those parts fit into the Super Bee body 😱

The body was painted, foiled, decalled, clear coated and polished. The interior was completed and the chassis and drive train all fully built up. The instructions do tell you to modify the front side windows to clear the dash. Had to laugh really and did wonder if anyone at AMT had actually put this thing together!

The side windows were sawn up as I just wanted to put the rear glass in, to show the door glass wound down. Test fit again, now the interior will not fit!! Side glass in the bin.🤬

The interior is a little bit narrow for the body, also very shallow. It's not clear from the pic but the bottom of the steering wheel is actually lower than the top of the driver seat!

I'm now starting to get into the realms of 'just want to get this thing finished'.

Anyhoo, I finally wrestled the parts together and ,apart from the missing side glass, the end result is not too bad.

I did make a few changes, the door handles and windscreen wipers were chiseled off and replaced with white metal items. Door locks simulated with 1mm rivets. The wheels and tyres are from a Revell 32 Ford. Headlights drilled out and replaced with aftermarket items. (I really dislike the moulded in chrome headlamps)

Final pic is of the Revell 69 Super Bee and the AMT 70 Super Bee together. This highlights the difference between 1/24 and 1/25 scales, more obvious in such a large car?

Atb, Steve.

p?i=2fb4aaa33d5a3b3e54c89875a175eb4c

p?i=357dff9d736132dd4aea3ee6e9ede3fe

p?i=fef446232b83e65f26d41c3975e9b410

p?i=97d3694f9be1c34fb136029b18419a40

The Ram Air induction scoop on the bonnet is just clipped in place. It doesn't actually fit over the air cleaner.

p?i=2283b84caa5c507d2d6a8b89c55a6659

p?i=4f33f6e6b740c0798d9e40fc6135245f

The 440 'Six-pack'. I have added ignition wiring and heater hoses. The moulded in wiring is highlighted with a fineline paint pen.

p?i=2a636e2c35b525c170ec4f50dd787a57

You can just make out the rear side window, ready to fit. This didn't last long.

p?i=736f543fa50baf11f3d110d2d50646c6

The flat spots on the tyres look terrible here, but they do help to create the illusion of a car having weight.

p?i=2f599b9b078db6ac3a660e111a672f81

• Like 31
  • Thanks 1

Looks a lot better than "not bad" to me. The finish of the paint is particularly good, I need to go mad with the polishing to get even halfway to that.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Spiny said:

The finish of the paint is particularly good

Thanks Spiny. I have found getting a decent finish a lot easier since I started using Mr Color GX112 UV cut clear. I polished this body with T Cut (household type) in about 30 mins.

I put 3 coats on with at least 48 hrs between applications, then leave it for at least 4 days before polishing. Thinned around 50:50 with self levelling thinners. Easy peasy 😉

Atb, Steve.

• Like 1

Wow, that's NIIICE.  Paintwork, chromework, woodwork, carpeting, all finely executed.  A really good looking model.

• Thanks 1

MOPAR! I do like these 'B' or is it 'F body'? cars. Not too keen on that grille though. It looks heavy and clumsy to me. The '69 is cleaner.

Great finish though. Nice wheels, I didn't know you can get metal door handles! They look much better.

Yes, some of the 'Promo' shells can be awkward to fit but if that's all they've got...

If you want to see a fabulous '66 Coronet, look up Jay Lenos' on the tube.

It's Very shiny, weighs two tons, drum brakes, no power steering, and 0 - 60 under 7 seconds! Barking!

Oh and it sounds fabulous. Love it.

• Thanks 1

What a beauty!  It looks loud and very fast.  Is that the 440 with the six pack carbs?  I had a friend who owned a '67 Charger with the 440, built heads, four speed, and ran on chrome steel wheels.  He did a lot of street racing with it, and won a lot. I think  people underestimated it because, unlike your model, it just didn't look or sound all that fast! Yours tho, clearly looks the part - 

Cheers

Nick 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@Neddy@Pete in Lincs@Stickframe

Thanks Gents.

It's a B Body car with the 440 Six Pack. You also get a very nice Hemi lump in the kit, this now resides in the spares box. I think it is a left over from the Pro Stock boxing?

Jay Leno's garage is the place of dreams, so many desirable cars.

Always fancied a Yank Tank. The wife and I did go to look at a 58 Plymouth Savoy about 20 years ago, the plan was to have it for a couple of years and then sell it on, just to have had the experience.

We chickened out at the time. It's probably far too late to think about it again, due to the cost of fuel in Europe these days. 😂 Also, the price of US classics has really gone up since then. To be honest, this has happened across the board for classic cars.

Atb, Steve.

• Like 2

Whatever the trials and tribulations of the build Steve that is another absolutely stunning result - beautiful paintjob in a just perfect colour! I like the black bonnet, err hood, too - really sets the paint off nicely! And another cracking engine/bay - top work all round!

21 hours ago, triumphfan said:

I polished this body with T Cut (household type)

What be that? I only know of the car paint cutting back type - is it less abasive or something? 

Lovely model again!

Keith

5 minutes ago, keefr22 said:

What be that? I only know of the car paint cutting back type - is it less abasive or something? 

Thanks Keith, much appreciated.

The household T Cut comes in a silver metal can. It is labelled T-Cut restorer for the home. I think it may be slightly less abrasive. It certainly feels and looks different to the stuff in the red bottle I have in the garage.

Atb, Steve.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, triumphfan said:

The household T Cut comes in a silver metal can. It is labelled T-Cut restorer for the home.

Shall look out for some of that!

K

• Like 1

On the subject of T cut. I have a plastic bottle of UVPC (double glazing frame) restorer. Milder than TCut it also works on model cars. 

• Like 2

Hi there,

I agree with all of the comments above, you made a great result from what is not too great a kit. I built the MPC kit some years ago, painted in orange. I used hub caps from another kit which I think is a nice touch away from the classic muscle car look.

I hope you don't mind me showing an image below.

I think both, the AMT and the MPC kits have their ups and downs, but are basically the same quality level and okay to make a nice model from.

Looking at the last image in you post, it shows the significant difference in size between the '69 Monogram Super Bee in 1/24 and the '70 AMT in 1/25 scale.

IMG_1548.thumb.JPG.a865ab4ecba906ecafbdf

Edited by TommyOneTwoFour
  • Like 3

15 hours ago, TommyOneTwoFour said:

Hi there,

I agree with all of the comments above, you made a great result from what is not too great a kit. I built the MPC kit some years ago, painted in orange. I used hub caps from another kit which I think is a nice touch away from the classic muscle car look.

I hope you don't mind me showing an image below.

I think both, the AMT and the MPC kits have their ups and downs, but are basically the same quality level and okay to make a nice model from.

Looking at the last image in you post, it shows the significant difference in size between the '69 Monogram Super Bee in 1/24 and the '70 AMT in 1/25 scale.

IMG_1548.thumb.JPG.a865ab4ecba906ecafbdf

your Super Bee looks great Thomas. I also like the steel wheels with hub caps, especially painted body colour. I think the modern term would be 'poverty spec' wheels 😉

I did a Hemi Cuda in the same style a couple of years ago.......

p?i=8bec99c8330251305d862120a7390d64

Atb, Steve.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, triumphfan said:

your Super Bee looks great Thomas. I also like the steel wheels with hub caps, especially painted body colour. I think the modern term would be 'poverty spec' wheels 😉

I did a Hemi Cuda in the same style a couple of years ago.......

p?i=8bec99c8330251305d862120a7390d64

Thanks Steve. Needless so say, that Cuda looks great and spot-on. Right down my alley, which is why I built a 68 Charger in similar colour and wheels some years ago. 😉

IMG_2512.thumb.JPG.be0f4b32f66bdcbf0b91a

• Like 4

5 hours ago, keefr22 said:

That's another beauty Steve, how did you do the 'red walls / rings' on the tyres?

Keith

Cheers Keith. The tyres are resin items from Modelhaus in the US. They produce some fabulous, quality wheels/tyres. 

This particular type are made from flexible black resin with a hard resin part for the red ring. Just draw a sanding stick over the join line and pop your wheels in, superb.

Atb, Steve.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, TommyOneTwoFour said:

Thanks Steve. Needless so say, that Cuda looks great and spot-on. Right down my alley, which is why I built a 68 Charger in similar colour and wheels some years ago. 😉

IMG_2512.thumb.JPG.be0f4b32f66bdcbf0b91a

That's a lovely build Thomas. The red tail stripe really sets it off.

Those 68-69 Charger kits are great aren't they 🙂 I had a best of show award with a factory stock 69 in spring green. Still love that model.

Atb, Steve.

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, triumphfan said:

Cheers Keith. The tyres are resin items from Modelhaus in the US. They produce some fabulous, quality wheels/tyres. 

This particular type are made from flexible black resin with a hard resin part for the red ring. Just draw a sanding stick over the join line and pop your wheels in, superb.

Atb, Steve.

Interesting… I would have thought you have used the redlined rubber tyres from an AMT parts pack, as I did. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, TommyOneTwoFour said:

Interesting… I would have thought you have used the redlined rubber tyres from an AMT parts pack, as I did. 

I've never seen those available for sale in the UK Thomas, I also wasn't sure if they would fit a range of wheel sizes as the AMT tyres always seemed a bit stiff and solid.

I was buying several sets of wide whites from Modelhaus and added two sets of the redlines in to bulk up the order. Modelhaus are pretty good on P+P but most of the US aftermarket sellers seem to want stupid amounts for posting to the UK. Something to do with standard, flat rates apparently?

For some reason, in the UK, the AMT car range seem to be about 50% more expensive than Revell, for what (I perceive) seem to be far inferior kits. The only reason I'd get AMT is if they are the only game in town, for example the '59 El Camino recently purchased.

Atb, Steve.

• Like 3

16 hours ago, triumphfan said:

I've never seen those available for sale in the UK Thomas, I also wasn't sure if they would fit a range of wheel sizes as the AMT tyres always seemed a bit stiff and solid.

I was buying several sets of wide whites from Modelhaus and added two sets of the redlines in to bulk up the order. Modelhaus are pretty good on P+P but most of the US aftermarket sellers seem to want stupid amounts for posting to the UK. Something to do with standard, flat rates apparently?

For some reason, in the UK, the AMT car range seem to be about 50% more expensive than Revell, for what (I perceive) seem to be far inferior kits. The only reason I'd get AMT is if they are the only game in town, for example the '59 El Camino recently purchased.

Atb, Steve.

Hi Steve,

I checked the Modelhaus website. Some good stuff there, for certain. Although quite a lot of the products appear to be "sold out". P+P for shipping to my place is around 25 - 30 USD. That is not cheap but okay if you order a lot of products. 😉

The AMT tyres I have used are actually rather soft. They are the same type of material like the "pad-printed" tyres that they often include in the re-released kits these days. I get along with them pretty well.

Here's a link if you want to check them out: https://www.ebay.com/itm/325722080298

BR

Thomas

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TommyOneTwoFour said:

Here's a link if you want to check them out

Thanks for the link Thomas, those tyres actually look very good. They are hollow, which makes a world of difference. The only ones I have had in the past were solid vinyl.

I shall keep an eye on eBay UK for the parts packs, it looks like there are some interesting custom parts available.

The Super Bee kit had hollow tyres with pad printed lettering. Unfortunately, the kit wheels were bad enough to be unusable. Anyway, the tyres are in the spares box now and I'm sure they will come in handy soon enough.

Had a look at your gallery on Scalemates last night, you have got some lovely builds there Thomas 👍😊

Atb, Steve.

• Thanks 1