Airfix B-17G Mals Way

All small parts and loose parts are stored in sorted box...ready for assembly later.

20240222.jpg

wings in place...no fuzz, perfect fit and no gaps.

img20246.jpg

thats it, massive posting uh, lol.

started this build in November 2023 till now, updates later this upcoming week.

• Like 15

5 hours ago, David H said:

Considering you started in November, this has actually been wicked fast progress.

3 Months, e few hour here and there during weeks when having spare time, ends up many hours.

if fast i dunno. well aint in a rush anyway, :) goal is to get a cool model in my glass cabinet, along with my other ones ive finnished

Got some free time this sunday. 

masking time.

well got to adress that small window, it were not flush, 0.5mm, easy peasy fix.

Florys sanding sticks...

grind it down.

20240223.jpg

Polish it up, and perfect, Airfix sure like thick clearparts lol

20240224.jpg

Masking the rest, going to whipe the model clean with Zippo lighter fluid, no grease and residue, big no no for paint, and easy to mask, reduces the risk of lifting paint when masking insignias.

20240225.jpg

going to be buzy this week, hopefully next weekend building, 

This saga will be continued.

so stay tuned.

• Like 17

Well if there is any kind of silver lining to thick clear parts, it is that they will stand up to sanding , rather than cracking when you're trying to apply enough pressure. So, there's that.

-d-

26 minutes ago, David H said:

Well if there is any kind of silver lining to thick clear parts, it is that they will stand up to sanding , rather than cracking when you're trying to apply enough pressure. So, there's that.

-d-

yep, if to thin and press. or even worse forcing part down may crack fuselage halves, 

this case, glued the part in place, to avoid all above, 

then sanded it down with flory sticks (the one with sponge) so that they followed the conture.

also that clearpart were indeed thick lol.

Not my normal area of interest but I do like good modelling. Lots of good work going on here, going to look good when it's finished.

Colin the Wessex nut.

Thank you all.

got some building time.

antenna poles in place behind identification lights. made out of guitar string, and yes they wont break of, i will get scratched, first blood then lol

20240226.jpg

Aaaaand pitot tube in place..

20240227.jpg

also whiped the model with isop..well next stop is to cover em openings and hopefully get te first layer of primer and black coat.

Edited by Mal_Belford
  • Like 10

Love the idea of the guitar strings, will they flex if knocked? I tend to use thin aluminium tubing, but they will bend if knocked...more of a WHEN, than IF unless left to the last step!

1 hour ago, woody37 said:

Love the idea of the guitar strings, will they flex if knocked? I tend to use thin aluminium tubing, but they will bend if knocked...more of a WHEN, than IF unless left to the last step!

0.17 cauge string that short will not bend,

0.09 will bend. depends how long

i also use guitar strings as CA aplicator as its slippery.

and reinforcement, as they are hard as hell, better that wire.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

geez....build all day long from 12 to 22..lol.

masking and done major painting.

gees, this is my second attempt with NMF and damn Alclads are sure not forgiving total 7 different shades 4 Alclads and 3 Mr Metallic.

this will now do for me. 

Note that antiglare, nope dont follow that panel line on the model, that seem obvious, but not. 

img20247.jpg

looked at reference pic.

42-97880-photo-1024x759.jpg

This is all good enough for me...

tomorrow more masking, insignias paint or transfers...will see about that.

Edited by Mal_Belford
  • Like 12

This is an excellent build and will definitely come in handy when I get around to my Airfix B-17’s. Lots of great ideas here. I love the oxygen tanks, quite a few in wartime B-17’s, and being yellow you can’t miss them.

Cheers

Jeff

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

Allright folks,

Finally got building timer, or lets say painting.

Every build got drawbacks, lol, when masked, DANG....,RATZ, Chipping King Kong Size..LOL....easy peasy fix. when this happens, dont panic. as i wrote easy peasy fix.

img20248.jpg

Mask again, the affected area, like a curgeon, and then 1000 grit wetsantpaper and water, gently remove em edges from the remaining paint.

img20249.jpg

And the rest went quite smooth, minor spray leaks, they will be adressed later.

Hard to take decent pics when metallig involved, reflections, but you get the idea.

20240310.jpg

20240311.jpg

Another angle, better, hey.

img20250.jpg

This is good enopugh for me, so Pass Mals Way, own critics is the worst one, lol.

• Like 17
  • Thanks 1

Posted (edited)

More painting.

So far, not even close yet to done, all need to dry now and rest, and rest my eyes.

Had to  adjust the bare metal strip on the tail, the one between OD and red, it were crazy to wide, masked and knock of em edges with wet sandpaper,  paint and blend in all, done, rudder surfaces, and tail surfaces, tonal differences here, as i eant it, Little Miss Mischef were indeed a Franken.

img20252.jpg

img20253.jpg

Gha, now a well deserved Longdrink, and soon PC gaming.

img20254.jpg

Looks like it may bee a cool model in the glass cabinet after all.

Edited by Mal_Belford
  • Like 11

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, Farmerboy said:

Are you using Montex masks?

This build, Eduard masks, minor adjustments on couple, One on front mirror and one on the waist gunner as they did not exacly fit perfect, but scalpel did the trick.

Edited by Mal_Belford

19 minutes ago, Farmerboy said:

I can see some National Insignia in the background, thought you were using Masks instead of decals.

Ah...those....you are observant. 

those i got many from a builder buddy in Sweden that custom cutted a bunch of em experimental, when i did a build yrs ago,.my Corsair 1:32..numbers and insignias

leaning to paint em.

• Like 1