1/24 Revell 1965 Mustang 2+2

This was purchased from the stash of part started kits belonging to one of our club members, who sadly passed away last year.

I gave the painted parts a soak in IPA (not the beer!) disassembled the engine and started to plan the build. 

The tyres in the kit were miss matched, I think Mike had been going for the big 'n' little look. Unfortunately the rear tyres were too large for the arches and would have meant some body and chassis mods. I had picked a set of Aoshima Watanabes from my wheel/tyre stash originally, but these eventually gave way to the Pegasus Chrome T's the model now wears. I simply had to cut off the kit axle pins and drill holes for brass rod to mount the Pegasus rims.

I decided to try a bit of an experiment with Tamiya clear red over silver, using the Laquer paint range. This was clear coated with Mr Color GX112 and polished with Meguiars after a few days curing.

Ignition wires, heater hose and brake piping were added to the engine bay and the stock air filter replaced with a spares box item. The rather weak looking headlamps were also replaced with 8mm PCS items. 

The interior is cream with burgundy flocking for the carpet. I replaced the internal door handles with resin parts and the door locks are stretched sprue with the ends mushroomed against a lighter flame.

I'm pleased with the way its turned out and I hope Mike would have agreed.

p?i=77e087d12936efc9edb606bc4a9424de

p?i=1143530def3aeb20b1419ed3d7e25681

p?i=1890e7c106df9a7407beaf7fedf0bc95

p?i=d1bc63b87db90ac40868c05609de176a

p?i=0820f5bb38c2f7a7ecb58681f8aa76df

Atb, Steve.

• Like 27

Oooh that's just gorgeous!  Lovely deep finish, nicely detailed engine bay, beautiful interior - excellent job all round, congratulations.

• Thanks 1

Definitely fair to say that the clear red over silver has worked very well. I also think that the headlamps are a big improvement over the kit ones (assuming they are the same as on the Hertz model). I'd say you've done Mike proud with this one.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, Spiny said:

improvement over the kit ones (assuming they are the same as on the Hertz model)

Thanks Spiny. All the Revell early Mustang boxings have the same headlight parts, shallow and weird looking 🙄

I used to get the headlights from Little Cars.com but they seem to be no longer available. I get them from Pendle Slot Racing website now. They do sizes from 4mm up to 10mm.

Atb, Steve.

On 07/02/2024 at 22:02, triumphfan said:

I hope Mike would have agreed.

I'm sure he would Steve, that is simply stunning!! Love the paintjob, it's gorgeous! I bought a bunch of Mr.Color clears to try to get some similar paintjobs, haven't had chance to try them out yet but when I do I hope I can get a result somewhere close to yours! 

17 hours ago, triumphfan said:

I used to get the headlights from Little Cars.com but they seem to be no longer available.

Paul announced on here last year that he was sadly having to close Little Cars 

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235125917-now-closed-modellingtoolscouk/

Sadly missed at Telford last year.....

Can I ask where you got the wheels/tyres from?

Beautiful Mustang Steve!

Keith

• Thanks 1

Hi Keith,

the paint goes on beautifully, I thin it with self levelling and build the depth up with 2 to 3 sessions of spraying and 48 hour curing cycles.

I got the wheels direct from Pegasus. The postage is a bit of a stinger but I emailed the chap and he worked out a decent deal on several sets in one package.

They do some superb big 'n' little sets for those who like hot rods.

Atb, Steve.

• Thanks 1

Astonishing!

Your paintwork is at a level that I have long aspired to, but somehow just out of reach.

Truly marvelous work!

👏👏👏

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1