B-17 assembly line, color footage

72modeler

Ran across this very interesting color film of B-17G's being assembled. Very interesting to see how complete some of the subassemblies were, before being attached, as well as some having markings already applied. You can see instances of untinted and tinted zinc chromate primer. Almost looked like an HK B-17G kit being assembled! I hope this one is new to most of you. Video via You Tube.

Mike

• Like 17
  • Thanks 6

Back when you didn't need hardhats, earplugs, safety, Safety? I didn't know that the wings bolted to the center section, thought it was a one piece spar. To bad when an aircraft gets hauled somewhere no one knows how to properly dismantle it. Get the chop saw. Neat piece of film.

11 hours ago, busnproplinerfan said:

Back when you didn't need hardhats, earplugs, safety, Safety? I didn't know that the wings bolted to the center section, thought it was a one piece spar. To bad when an aircraft gets hauled somewhere no one knows how to properly dismantle it. Get the chop saw. Neat piece of film.

The wings were attached with press in pins. All airframes were subject to an A.D. about 45 years ago. Owners expected corrosion problems, but they just pressed clean out. Testament to the quality Boeing used to be known for.

So is this Boeing, Douglas or Lockheed (Vega)? I note the starboard waist position is moved forward but the aircraft still have the original "wedge" shaped tail turret (although this might have been removed at the modification centre and swapped for a "Cheyanne" turret. I didn't see any serial numbers.

Stuart

3 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

The wings were attached with press in pins. All airframes were subject to an A.D. about 45 years ago. Owners expected corrosion problems, but they just pressed clean out. Testament to the quality Boeing used to be known for.

Whats an AD?

Great footage. Now we know how a 1:1 scale kit goes together,

"Locate and Cement part...."

• Haha 6

13 hours ago, Paul J said:

Great footage. Now we know how a 1:1 scale kit goes together,

"Locate and Cement part...."

"make sure no paint is on the mating edges". Spirit should have taken a leaf of this book:-)

Edited by tempestfan
Late night grammar...
  • Like 2
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

Airworthiness Directive.  Check it and fix it or else!

That's it, been out of that world for some time and brain farted.

Funny, that looks nothing like the instructions in the last kit I built 🤣

Puts a real perspective on the sizes doesn't it.

I was surprised to see the turrets installed with guns already mounted, I would have thought that was an armourer's job at a pre-delivery squadron.

6 hours ago, Old Phart said:

Funny, that looks nothing like the instructions in the last kit I built 🤣

Puts a real perspective on the sizes doesn't it.

I was surprised to see the turrets installed with guns already mounted, I would have thought that was an armourer's job at a pre-delivery squadron.

My thoughts to re guns. Probably done for the cameras.

16 hours ago, bentwaters81tfw said:

My thoughts to re guns. Probably done for the cameras.

I recall seeing photos of  brand-new B-17G's lined up on the Boeing ramp, and all of the turret guns were fitted and the barrels were wrapped with what looked like butcher paper of some sort. Guessing they were part of what was called GFE? (Government furnished equipment?)

Mike