Sherman Firefly VC

Stef N.

16 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

You missed out the important information, your visit to your LMS, did you get just the paint?  Did they have the paint?  Or did something else come home with you?  :whistle:

I'm warming myself up for the weekend, doing exercises both physical and mental, and preparing for the possible carnage. 😬😁

• Haha 3

Just caught up this and will follow along. The firefly has started to grow on me with its massive barrel. Now this looks like a good kit, the small details of having spare/extra nuts on the sprue is pretty handy. 
 Good luck with the model shop… stay strong!! 
Paul

• Thanks 1

On 12/12/2023 at 11:22, Stef N. said:

I am lucky in that where I live has a good selection of shops within decent driving distances. 2 in Stevenage and a Hobbycraft for instance. I have to remember that people don't have a single choice for many a mile. 

Oooo, look at you "a good selection"!

Once again clear evidence of southern modellers privilege, just where is woke when it's really needed!

On 13/12/2023 at 09:21, Stef N. said:

I'm warming myself up for the weekend, doing exercises both physical and mental, and preparing for the possible carnage. 😬😁

Thats it Stef rub it in.....best we get is when Aldi gets the odd airfix kit in, FYI the old airfix Mary Rose doesn't cut it for me!

Have fun at the weekend! 

Just be gentle when reminding us what a proper model shop is like....:crying:

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 4

On 13/12/2023 at 09:21, Stef N. said:

Sorry, I thought you had been to one or all of your "good selection" of model shops.  Not sure where this North/South divide is these days.  :shrug:

My order from air-craft.net arrived 25 hours after I clicked "buy"  Pretty good going from Fort William.  So I have plenty of No.11 blades and Tamiya paint to make some SCC15, just need to finish something so I can use my new airbrush and paint.  :whistle: (well it seemed a good deal to me)

• Like 2

21 minutes ago, Retired Bob said:

Sorry, I thought you had been to one or all of your "good selection" of model shops.  Not sure where this North/South divide is these days.  :shrug:

My order from air-craft.net arrived 25 hours after I clicked "buy"  Pretty good going from Fort William.  So I have plenty of No.11 blades and Tamiya paint to make some SCC15, just need to finish something so I can use my new airbrush and paint.  :whistle: (well it seemed a good deal to me)

I think I've worked out the divide. A straight line through Hannants in Lowestoft across the country. Above the line is the best Internet shops, below are the physical shops. 

But for modelling utopia we all need to pack up and move to Somerset and the west. Everything you need is down there. 😁

• Haha 4

1 hour ago, Stef N. said:

I think I've worked out the divide. A straight line through Hannants in Lowestoft across the country. Above the line is the best Internet shops, below are the physical shops. 

But for modelling utopia we all need to pack up and move to Somerset and the west. Everything you need is down there. 😁

Too true! 

• Like 1

An actual model shop? 🤔  Nope, lost me there! 

Remember Stef ..... you only need paint, don't make eye contact with any of those mesmerising 'attractive' or 'interesting' products ...... 😵‍💫

Keith 😁 

• Haha 3

On 12/12/2023 at 11:22 AM, Stef N. said:

I am lucky in that where I live has a good selection of shops within decent driving distances. 2 in Stevenage and a Hobbycraft for instance. I have to remember that people don't have a single choice for many a mile. 

So sorry, but for a momant I thought you said that Hobbycraft was a good model shop. I must read posts slower so as not to miss read them. :whistle:

Gondor

• Haha 4

35 minutes ago, Gondor44 said:

So sorry, but for a momant I thought you said that Hobbycraft was a good model shop. I must read posts slower so as not to miss read them. :whistle:

Gondor

Hobbycraft, the store of last resort. (Not a good motto, but appropriate.)😄

Saying that, I did read that they had started holding more stock of late so I may have to pop in one day.

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Hobbycraft, the store of last resort. (Not a good motto, but appropriate.)😄

Saying that, I did read that they had started holding more stock of late so I may have to pop in one day.

I was in the Livingston branch at the start of the week. A very vaired stock of kits, Tamyia, Airfix, Italeri at the top end and Misterkit at the bottom end. Limited selection of paints and tools too.

Gondor

• Thanks 1

On 12/12/2023 at 9:38 AM, Kingsman said:

Early VCs had the barrel clamp centrally at the rear but this had to be moved to the left rear corner to clear the wading trunk, and this then became the norm.  IIRC RFM give you both choices.  This shows the original and revised locations.

spacer.png

Actually I forgot that this photo shows an early re-located barrel clamp on the corner of the engine access panel.  Hence why the original central mounting brackets are  still there.  The "production" re-location was further back behind the access panel next to the air scoop.  Both are correct but the later version would have been more common.

• Thanks 1

50 minutes ago, Kingsman said:

Actually I forgot that this photo shows an early re-located barrel clamp on the corner of the engine access panel.  Hence why the original central mounting brackets are  still there.  The "production" re-location was further back behind the access panel next to the air scoop.  Both are correct but the later version would have been more common.

Thanks for that.👍

This kit has numerous options for things but doesn't explain what for so I have a question for you. I have three options for the small return rollers, ones with 3 or 2 or 0 small circular indentations. Which are appropriate please?

p?i=449f9fa8efa04e33a07d34f7d6d411a6

• Like 1

I believe the dimples are just a question of different suppliers.  There was also a version with no dimples.

But both are wrong as they omit the more prominent grease nipple and pressure valve.  So the dimpled types provided should actually have 2/3 dimples plus 2 holes.  If you want to get nit-picky.....  Or you just deepen the holes in the 2-dimple type a bit and have the version with no dimples, as below.  They angled in towards the hub rather than being at 90 degrees to the face.

spacer.png

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 13/12/2023 at 09:00, Retired Bob said:

You missed out the important information, your visit to your LMS, did you get just the paint?  Did they have the paint?  Or did something else come home with you?  :whistle:

I thought karma was going to deal me a low blow.The first shop had all the paints bar the one I needed.😬 So a trundle to the other side of town to the other one and he had a fresh supply. It's a shop mainly for remote control stuff but he has a good stock of paints and Tamiya kits. So my next build will be Tamiya's Brummbar (no I didn't need it,I have 3 other Brummbar versions in the stash).😄

• Haha 3

ust spotted this build, have the kit in the stash but my plan is to do one loaded with spare track armour (mostly german Panther/Panzer IV)... but liking the advice so will be back to see what other snippets you find out

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Stef N. said:

So my next build will be Tamiya's Brummbar (no I didn't need it,I have 3 other Brummbar versions in the stash).😄

You got distracted ..... didn't you? 😵‍💫

Anyways, looking forward to more progress on the Firefly .....

Keith 😁 

• Haha 3

The latest update for you guys. The running gear took longer than I thought. They've designed them so they work, even the suspension works, but at a cost of 19 pieces per set and 6 sets. Very minimal clean up though which helps greatly.

A couple of bits of advice, secure the springs. I used blue tack but CA would do. And you have to gently pull the main body wide to get the two wheels fitted. They go in well but you can undo your work if you are too heavy handed. They do look good once made.

p?i=0561d10c2ba5cfd782b2fba66be89f69

p?i=2e1c0b87696c4b3f009bb9bdc53c1abe

With Kingsman's advice set 5 was needed for the drive wheels. They look good although some heavy ejector marks are there. They should get hidden but if worse comes to worse a bit of careful mud placement should come in handy. Although it easy to suss out which ones are needed but they have given the wrong part number, so be careful.

p?i=5e2be1aab716701267252becd475468d

Finally the idler's were not pleasant. Clever engineering that didn't quite work. At the initial build stage they looked ready for the bin. Massive gaps and a broken section. But with a liberal application of sprue goo and filing they fixed easy and look good, so persevere with them.

p?i=a3bac5543e20d8fe6aeea3d6a14d3a18

Anyway, cheers all and have a pleasant rest of your Sunday.👍

• Like 11

1 hour ago, Stef N. said:

Finally the idler's were not pleasant. Clever engineering that didn't quite work.

Ouch!! What the devil did they do with them to make them look like that. A similar item from Dragon or Tamiya comes as one piece, so why did they need to do this with them. Talk about over engineered.

Apart from that, nice work on the VVSS units Stef.

John.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, Bullbasket said:

Ouch!! What the devil did they do with them to make them look like that. A similar item from Dragon or Tamiya comes as one piece, so why did they need to do this with them. Talk about over engineered.

Apart from that, nice work on the VVSS units Stef.

John.

Trying to be too clever and let themselves down?! 4 separate parts, plus a hub.😬 Luckily they polished up rather nice in the end but I had been on the verge of nicking the Asuka ones.

• Like 2

18 minutes ago, Stef N. said:

Trying to be too clever and let themselves down?! 4 separate parts, plus a hub.😬 Luckily they polished up rather nice in the end but I had been on the verge of nicking the Asuka ones.

A little like a Mozart composition; why use one note when a dozen will do.

John.

• Haha 5

The number of parts RFM use in the running gear is ridiculous .... alot of over-engineering, but when assembled, they look great .... and work! 

It's a shame about the idler wheels, but you've sorted that out! 👍 

Keith 😁 

• Like 2