HMS Mignonette K38 - Flower Class Corvette 1/350 - Black Cat Models

robgizlu

1 hour ago, Faraway said:

@robgizlu I see Bobs Buckles are back in production.

He's been checking when @robgizlu is on holiday and having the same time off to keep pace with Rob using all his stock.  :whistle:

beefy

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Faraway said:

@robgizlu I see Bobs Buckles are back in production.

Thanks Jon - like you - order sent!

16 minutes ago, beefy66 said:

He's been checking when @robgizlu is on holiday and having the same time off to keep pace with Rob using all his stock.  :whistle:

beefy

These retired young whippersnappers with more time on their hands.........................:rofl2:

On a serious note - it's surprising how many eyelets you go through per build, 8 for the funnel on a Corvette and at least another 4 for the mast stays, your supply soon depletes.

@Bobs_Buckles Great to have you back and you get my nomination for an award for "Services to Modelling".

Rob

• Like 3

Big day at the bench today :)

Feb 22 2024_6129

Feb 22 2024_6130

Feb 22 2024_6131

Feb 22 2024_6133

Feb 22 2024_6134

Feb 22 2024_6135

Feb 22 2024_6140

Feb 22 2024_6139

Feb 22 2024_6138

Mignonette had very prominent Bow Draught markings so it was a chance to use @Jamie @ Sovereign Hobbies's draught decals...

Feb 22 2024_6150

Because of the angle the bow sweeps up it was necessary to cut each and every line and decal each separately :whistle:

Good end result though

I like that everything bar rigging is supplied in :cat:kits, though interestingly I note that Mike McCabe's new Grimsby sloop does come with Uschi rigging thread - we're getting spoilt.  

Here's the Master Models mast sprayed up with crows nest and steaming Nav light attached

Feb 22 2024_6148

Feb 22 2024_6136

More soon

Thanks for looking

Rob

• Like 13

12 hours ago, Faraway said:

With the decals, how do you avoid silvering ?

Jon

Hi Jon - These were Atlantic Models decals that haven't always sat well in the past.  Accordingly I trim them with a scalpel very close to the letter/Number edges and ensure that there is a very generous smooth surface that has been sprayed with Klear at least 3 times.  Interestingly with Klear - it doesn't shine as ordinary gloss varnish would.  If the decal doesn't look like it's going to sit, I then use "Mr Mark Softener".  I love decals - for me it's when the model comes to life but it can be fraught and as you know I'm equally happy using masks.  On this occasion all sat well and BTW the Sovereign Depth decals sat particularly well considering that each line was applied separately.  Once they are on and dried I give them another light spray over with Klear.

HTH - Rob

2 hours ago, beefy66 said:

Are they the new strip lines from Atlantic bt any chance all looking very neat Rob.  :thumbsup:

Stay Safe

beefy

Hi Beefy - These are Blue line decals from Hannats Xtradecal range - the only really effective way to portray the lining appparent on the funnel.  I note Peter has released his "window" decals that I'll get at some stage - especially as they have modern depth markings.  However I still prefer old 35mm negative "Black" pieces to "window" with as they give off a realistic "glass" window gloss, certainly for modern subjects.  I've windowed the last couple of corvettes with Mig Ammo - "Crystal - using Black/Clear 50 : 50 diluted with some "Transpirator".

HTH

Rob

• Like 3

On 2/22/2024 at 10:07 AM, robgizlu said:

Thanks Jon - like you - order sent!

These retired young whippersnappers with more time on their hands.........................:rofl2:

On a serious note - it's surprising how many eyelets you go through per build, 8 for the funnel on a Corvette and at least another 4 for the mast stays, your supply soon depletes.

@Bobs_Buckles Great to have you back and you get my nomination for an award for "Services to Modelling".

Rob

Lovely work Rob and thank you!

While I'm here I will just pull this from a post I wrote on Facebook. It will alert our ship building community that I'm still afloat.

Cheers. Bob 

"For those of you who have used my products over the years I just want to say that I'm hoping to return to production.
Things will change on the ordering front.
I will only produce two size eyelets. 1/32 and EZee Eyelets.
The 32's will easily service 48th aircraft as well.
I will probably go over to an email your order, rather than create payment buttons.
That way, if things go crazy, I can only commit to the current orders in hand.
Not sure when I'm back in the saddle, but will let you know nearer the time.
I can't wait to do what I do best... BUCKLE up!
Thanks guys,
Bob von Buckle."

spacer.png

Edited by Bobs_Buckles
  • Like 5

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/24/2024 at 7:55 PM, Bobs_Buckles said:

I'm back at the bench making them and have a few orders queued - happy days!

Thanks,

Bob 

Good to have you back Bob :clap2:

The 4"Gun bandstand is not easy to fit as it sits on 7 lateral "supports" as well as the central socket.

Ben Supplies 8 which is just as well as one went spinning off when I tried to press it in with tweezers and once again despite working at a dsk on a laminate wooden floor - it could not be found.

The trick is to place the first 2 Forward supports into their grooves that need a gentle amount of enlarging.......then glue the bandstand down on the central socket with PVA glue.  Level it - wait to dry then gently file the bottoms of the remaining supports and gently "add" them to the structure so that strictly speaking they are not "load-bearing".  Because they are not under so much tension you can fiddle with them to straighten them.  The advantage of using PVA glue here instead of CA is that it allows a liitle "give".

Mar 07 2024_6151

Much better than my effort on Abelia.

Next step was to use an acrylic filter which I now always use on builds - Same as Armour - it diffuses the colour and the grey adds a little tonal variation and streaking so it's important to always brush vertically using a No 6 brush or larger

Mar 07 2024_6153

It dries very quickly so next up it's oils.  Applied "dry" with a brush and "scrubbed" for the waterline using Industrial earth , green and faded white.  Followed by some greys and industrial earth to get streaking down the hull sides and finally some very spare application of smoky Black to mimic the "Fender rubs" that nearly all wartime photos show.

Mar 07 2024_6155

Mar 07 2024_6156

I also use the Industrial earth very sparingly and virtually dry brush the bottoms of things sitting on the deck such as the funnel and large wave break.   Additionally I run a fine brush horizontally between the superstructure and it's attachment to the deck to simulate shadow and the grime that might have built up there

Mar 07 2024_6157

Beginning to look like a Corvette now.

I picked up a trick from Jim Baumann who suggests replacteing canvas dodgers with PVA glue rather than cigarette paper or similar.  I think he's right - it's better.  Dilute some PVA glue with water 50 : 50 and apply with a brush or cocktail stick

Mar 07 2024_6152

And finally some work on the base which for me is quite "active" - I've nevere really got on with cotton wool whcih I think does not work so well in smaller dio scenes - preferring instead AK Water Foam

Mar 07 2024_6154

It benefits by being built up in layers so I'll varnish this and then apply some more.

The oils need 24 hours to dry properly so it's some detail work in the meanwhile.

More soon - Thanks for looking 

Rob

• Like 8
  • Thanks 1

Oh, and I almost forgot - 3 of these arrived from :cat:.  Production issues of the HDML.  So much better with the etched railings!

And Michal @socjo1 will be pleased to hear that there are NO "moulding "Striations" on the hull ;)

Complete with Decals and brass masts - Yowsa yowsa!

Expect to see one in the HMS Euryalus dio :coolio:

Mar 07 2024_6163

Rob

• Like 8

1 hour ago, Courageous said:

Lovely work on Mignonette. Base is looking rather lovely. What will you do with the PVA canvas dodgers, paint them?

Stuart

Hi Stu - yup paint them and them matt them.

And thankyou

Rob

• Like 1

Really taking shape there now Rob and the HDML looks a little gem.  :thumbsup:

Stay Safe

beefy

• Like 1

So I've just found another superb Rob build underway.

Very sorry to hear of your flu downtime, hope you continue to improve. I flu jab up every year (plus Covid booster), taking no chances of feeling bad at my age!

Apart from marvelling at your skills and seeing how this one has progressed, I noticed you chose to mask vertical sides, then spray the decks, yet I've seen many others spray decks first, then mask the decks and spray verticals. In your experience, are there merits in one approach, over the other?

Asking for a friend....

Terry

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

mask vertical sides, then spray the decks

That’s what I do too.

Flat(ish) hull sides are far easier to mask, than a deck with lots of moulded on detail.

Jon

• Like 2

38 minutes ago, Terry1954 said:

Apart from marvelling at your skills and seeing how this one has progressed, I noticed you chose to mask vertical sides, then spray the decks, yet I've seen many others spray decks first, then mask the decks and spray verticals. In your experience, are there merits in one approach, over the other?

Asking for a friend....

Terry

Hi Terry - Thank you that is very kind and I definitely learnt my lesson about flu jabs.  When I worked I just walked down the corridor...:whistle:

As to the masking....

23 minutes ago, Faraway said:

That’s what I do too.

Flat(ish) hull sides are far easier to mask, than a deck with lots of moulded on detail.

Jon

Jon has it right plus the fact that as the superstructure was in part moulded with the hull it was easier to prime and spray everything white.  The Sovereign enamels cover well but it's still preferable to mask lighter colours.

Rob

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

wha, what a treat. Looking great so far, Rob. 350 isn't usually my thing but I've been very tempted by the Black Cat flowers and Butlers. The hull beating-uppery looks very nice, and I'm keen to see what you make of a more active seascape (please hurry up! I'm working on one down due thursday! Need to copy homework)

Andy

• Like 1

Looking great Rob. I intend to use your  diluted PVA method  on my Snowberry build to replace some some dodger-covered railings that just look too flat and featureless in PE.  I hope the glue will bridge the larger gaps at 1/144. I may also experiment with Krystal Klear, which I used to glaze a windscreen and radar lantern—painted it might work as well. We’ll see. 

Best,

Jeff

• Like 2

18 hours ago, Bobs_Buckles said:

Hi Rob,

1/48th eyelets sent off to you today.

Enjoy!

Cheers,

Bob

👍

Bob - you are a Scamp of the highest order - a Scholar and a Gentleman too !

15 hours ago, Ngantek said:

wha, what a treat. Looking great so far, Rob. 350 isn't usually my thing but I've been very tempted by the Black Cat flowers and Butlers. The hull beating-uppery looks very nice, and I'm keen to see what you make of a more active seascape (please hurry up! I'm working on one down due thursday! Need to copy homework)

Andy

..."hull beating uppery" made me laugh Andy :lol:;)  I think it's my favourite bit - the ship just comes alive then.

As to "copying homework" - too kind Dear dear Boy - too kind!

Here's the finished article - The latest experiment was with the Posca pen - a hint that I owe to @Faraway.  It definitley adds something

Mar 09 2024_6164

However Kostas Katseas posted these pics on Model Warships recently and it makes me think I should retry and persevere with cotton wall - they are achingly good.  I still ponder how he does his basic water - I'm pretty certain it's resin but how he's forming the bow wave and wake - I have no idea.  To my mind his sea is wholly more convincing than the above so it's keep experimenting :(  

I've fought shy of very active seascape to date, but as my nephew would say........... "Don't be weak!"

Hi Jeff - Jim Baumann called it right - Jiim - je vous en prie!

Mar 09 2024_6165

Jeff - I also use Krystal Klear - I think it's just "clearer".  People suggest adding a smidge of washing up liquid to the PVA mixture to reduce surface tension.  i would have thought this would work with 1/144 though there's clearly an upper limit.

The PVA is certainly more convincing than cigarette paper or Silkspan :winkgrin:

Rob

• Like 7

14 hours ago, Jeff.M said:

Looking great Rob. I intend to use your  diluted PVA method  on my Snowberry build to replace some some dodger-covered railings that just look too flat and featureless in PE.  I hope the glue will bridge the larger gaps at 1/144. I may also experiment with Krystal Klear, which I used to glaze a windscreen and radar lantern—painted it might work as well. We’ll see. 

Best,

Jeff

Best,

Jeff

Best,

Jeff

Mucked this up somoewhat - this should have appeared above Jeff

Rob

• Haha 1

4 hours ago, robgizlu said:

Mucked this up somoewhat - this should have appeared above Jeff

Rob

No worries. I got it from context. 🙂

Jeff

• Like 1

Seascape looks fantastic for my money. It's kinda astonishing how many parallels in this build there are with things I've been experimenting with on mine: fender grubbery (entirely stolen from your earlier flowers btw), trying PVA rather than rizlas for canvas dodgers (yours have come out beautifully); and the usual wonderment at how others continually get such amazing results from wool, in contrast to my experiments with the stuff, which come out so many orders of magnitude worse that I sometimes wonder if I have a different understanding of the term 'cotton wool'. I too have had Kostas' Tiger amongst others on constant scroll for inspiration (which tends to serve opposite purpose in all honesty!).

Andy

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Ngantek said:

..... and the usual wonderment at how others continually get such amazing results from wool, in contrast to my experiments with the stuff, which come out so many orders of magnitude worse that I sometimes wonder if I have a different understanding of the term 'cotton wool'. I too have had Kostas' Tiger amongst others on constant scroll for inspiration (which tends to serve opposite purpose in all honesty!).

Andy

Andy - you've stolen my thinking too!!!

Chris Flodberg talks about using medical application Rayon - searched and searched - got my crew to search - Nada this side of the pond :shrug:  And as you say, others seem to do fine - maybe we should organise a joint seminar ? :lol:  do you think it would count towards our "Continuous Professional Development"? :rofl2:

Rob

• Like 1
  • Haha 2