Altus AFB Oklahoma - school house for the USAF heavies

canberraman

Altus Air Force Base near the city of Altus in south western Oklahoma, first became home to military aircraft and personnel in 1943. With an average of over 300 days of weather favourable to flying each year, a generally flat landscape and few obstructions, the base was then and is still, ideally situated to be a perfect location for young airmen to hone their skills. Originally called Altus Army Airfield, construction of the new base began in May 1942. Over the next seven decades, the base has evolved to become the premier air mobility training location in the United States Air Force.

The 97th Air Mobility Wing (97 AMW), assigned to Nineteenth Air Force of Air Education and Training Command, is the host Wing at Altus AFB.. It plans and executes C-17 Globemaster III, Boeing KC-46, and Boeing KC-135 Stratotanker pilot and aircrew training, providing formal school initial and advanced specialty training programs for up to 3,000 US and foreign students annually. The training is done in a three-phase approach: Academic Phase, Simulator Phase, and Flying Phase.

The 97th Operations Group oversees the three squadrons directly supporting the wing’s flying-training mission. The 58th Airlift Squadron is comprised of instructor pilots and loadmasters who train Airmen on the C-17 Globemaster III. The 54th Air Refueling Squadron trains pilots and boom operators on the KC-135 Stratotanker. Finally, the 56th Air Refueling Squadron is home to the formal training unit for pilots and boom operators on the Air Force’s newest addition to air mobility: the KC-46 Pegasus. These three air mobility schoolhouses conduct initial and advanced specialty training programs for airland, airdrop, and air refueling mobility forces, providing global reach for combat and contingency operations, as well as relief operations.  

I was lucky enough to visit Altus in October 2023 and here's a few photos from my day there.

img

Your scribe seen propping up the impressive steel structure that denotes the Altus City limits, just outside Altus AFB.

img

In the city centre, there can be found a B-47E, a type that once flew from Altus during the 1950s, when Altus AFB belonged to SAC and the 96th BW was the resident unit. 

img

On base there are four preserved aircraft that signify types that once operated from the site. This photo is of a Beech JRB-4 representing a C-45 Expediter, used in the early 1950s for comms duties by the 63rd TCW.

img%5D

A C-47B, marked up as 43-49206, also used by the 63rd TCW at Altus during the early 1950s.

img%5D

On 1 October 1984, the 340th Air Refueling Wing activated at Altus AFB equipped with KC-135s under Strategic Air Command. This KC-135A is marked in the colours of the 340th during their tenure at Altus. 

img

In 1969, the 443d Military Airlift Wing and the 57th Airlift Squadron, moved to Altus, transferring Altus AFB to Military Airlift Command and making it the formal training base for the C-5s and C-141s. The 443d MAW trained crews at Altus until 1992. On 1 October 1992, Air Mobility Command inactivated the 443rd Airlift Wing  and activated the 97th Air Mobility Wing as the host unit at Altus. Then on 1 July 1993, Air Mobility Command transferred control of the base to
Air Education and Training Command. Theses photographs are of C-141B 65-9400 wearing the flaming spear badge of the 97th AMW.

img

img

img

img

A KC-135R 60-0350 of the 54th ARS/97th AMW landing at Altus. The 54th uniquely trains KC-135 crews for all AMC, ANG and AFRC tanker squadrons.

img

C-17A 96-0004 assigned to the 58th AS/97 AMW. As well as USAF crews, the 58th trains Globemaster crews from a variety of foreign users. 

img

The latest tanker/transport in the USAF inventory is the KC-46A. This photo shows an unmarked KC-46A 18-46016 of the 56 ARS/97 AMW landing on October 19th. 

img

A more colourful Pegasus, 18-46048 in full Wing markings.

img

During World War II, the Triangle Y was the tail marking of the 97th Bomb Group, the 97 AMW’s predecessor. In the past year, the 97th Air Mobility Wing has applied the the Triangle Y to one of each of  their three aircraft types, to honour its World War II heritage, as seen on this C-17A - 98-0055. 

Hope this photo article has been of interest. Comments and criticisms are  always welcome. Thanks for looking.

Mark

• Like 16

1 hour ago, modelling minion said:

Great pictures Mark.

My son lives in Oklahoma City and I hope to visit Altus and Tinker when I go over to see him.

There's lots to see at both bases so reckon you won't be disappointed, There's an excellent and free aviation park just outside Tinker that's well worth a visit. And at Altus the circuit seems to be constantly busy with the heavies doing touch and go landings which can be easily photographed from the road under the approach.  Let us know how you got on!

Mark

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Latinbear said:

Looks like your trip was a beneficiary of the 300 days per year of good weather! Great photos and information as ever Mark. Thanks for sharing these and looking forward to more. 

My pleasure Latinbear, glad you enjoyed them  :)

Mark

18 hours ago, PLC1966 said:

Nice photo's, really interesting.

Criticisms....more photo's required.....

I haven't got many more from this visit but will see what I can find.  Thanks for the kind words :)

Mark

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Alpha Delta 210 said:

Another wonderful set, Mark. You certainly made very good use of your time stateside!

Many thanks Leigh!  We certainly did pack a lot in to our 11 days stateside covering around 3000 miles and six states. Must say it seems ages ago now we're back to the dreary, dull and chilly Autumn days in East Anglia :)

Kind regards

Mark

• Haha 1

That looks amazing! I’m desperate to go to America one day, there’s so much I’d like to see and do there, not just aviation related; an NFL game, Tombstone Wild West town, Hollywood, Kennedy space centre, a proper traditional diner like you see in the movies with gingham table cloths, the Rockies, Yellowstone … god bless America! 

Weird thing is, my wife actually lived there for 20 years and got her PhDs there, yet all before I met her so we still haven’t been! One day …

I’m also impressed that the B-47 in the town centre is pristine. Can you imagine the state of it if that was a British town? Covered in graffiti and probably rotting away.

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Lord Riot said:

That looks amazing! I’m desperate to go to America one day, there’s so much I’d like to see and do there, not just aviation related; an NFL game, Tombstone Wild West town, Hollywood, Kennedy space centre, a proper traditional diner like you see in the movies with gingham table cloths, the Rockies, Yellowstone … god bless America! 

Weird thing is, my wife actually lived there for 20 years and got her PhDs there, yet all before I met her so we still haven’t been! One day …

I’m also impressed that the B-47 in the town centre is pristine. Can you imagine the state of it if that was a British town? Covered in graffiti and probably rotting away.

Many thanks LR!  This was, I believe, my 6th road trip of the US and every one so far has been fascinating, enjoyable and eminently memorable. Every part of the US has its own unique charms, idiosyncrasies, great scenery and fascinating history. The people I've spoken to are almost without exception, very polite, friendly and welcoming. What is instantly noticeable is - certainly large cities excepted - the general lack of graffiti, the cleanliness of the roads and parks, and the lack of litter. There is certainly a sense of pride and belonging that is all too often lacking back home. I agree with you about the lack of vandalism and respect for monuments and artefacts. We passed countless preserved aircraft, tanks and monuments which were invariably pristine. I don't recall seeing any mindless damage or paint spraying so prevalent back home these days. And although the state of US politics is a subject best avoided, I do enjoy America and am looking forward to another trip next year with my family to New York. You should go there one day, there's a great deal to enjoy and no shortage of aircraft to savour!

Mark  

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 months later...

I served with the 11th Air Refueling Squadron before there was a 340th Air Refueling Group and after that group was activated. Your photos bring great memories.

On 1/15/2024 at 9:38 PM, SAT69 said:

I served with the 11th Air Refueling Squadron before there was a 340th Air Refueling Group and after that group was activated. Your photos bring great memories.

Thanks SAT69!  Glad you approve. I'll see if I can find any 11 AREFS birds from my collection to add as a postscript.

Mark

The tanker I was the assigned crew chief on was 57-1462. I served under another crew chief on 57-1429.

• Like 1