Scammell Commander

Hi All

Started yesterday, Trailer first as I think a bit more leeway for poor fitting parts, get a feel for assembly for the Scammell itself, so far so good, gooseneck a bit of a tight fit to get the deck plate in, might not take too long, as the whole thing is just Green all over. 

1/35 Scammell Commander

1/35 Scammell Commander

1/35 Scammell Commander

1/35 Scammell Commander

1/35 Scammell Commander

1/35 Scammell Commander

Cheers All

any tips on this would be appreciated if you have done one 

Mark

• Like 15

I have one of these in the to do pile so will follow along if you don't mind?

Great start please carry on at your convenience

Stay safe           Roger

• Thanks 1

Had a good go yesterday roughly 9-10 hours 😄 time flew by

1/35 Scammell Commander

Part highlighted is not listed in the instructions but is shown in later diagrams 

1/35 Scammell Commander

As is this part

thanks to info on Nigels youtube channel, and a poster who listed them in the comments 

Parts B36 and B40

1/35 Scammell Commander

Clamped to make sure

1/35 Scammell Commander

1/35 Scammell Commander

1/35 Scammell Commander

1/35 Scammell Commander

These pins go right though, looks like they will actually lock the legs, so trimmed short to allow movement when on dio base to get right height 

1/35 Scammell Commander

Angled part had to be scraped back a fair bit to allow gooseneck to fit see below shows where you get a gap between parts, also initial subframe has no location pins, had to prise one over after gluing to get one of the three crossmembers in, TIP assemble above but do not fix in place until the three large crossmembers are fitted, you may need to trim down all the ends as they bow when pushed in

1/35 Scammell Commander

1/35 Scammell Commander

Gap from gooseneck bit of filling 

1/35 Scammell Commander

1/35 Scammell Commander

1/35 Scammell Commander

Plate for kingpin needed a lot of scraping raised locating ridges were far too big. 

all in all very straightforward and Trailer may be finished today barring a few parts I will fit later so as not to break them. 

cheers

everyone

Mark

• Like 12

1 hour ago, mbthejester said:

Had a good go yesterday roughly 9-10 hours 😄 time flew by

Oh, I remember those days. It was when I had a full time job. I could spend a whole day at the bench. Now I'm retired, I'm working flat out, and usually only manage a couple of hours in the afternoon.

But you've put that time to good use. It's coming on a treat, and you seem to be able to iron out the little problems. Good work again Mark.

John.

• Like 2

Be still my beating heart!! Where has this been all my life? She would look very nice next to my Pioneer Transporter.

Really good start Mark. I will watch with great interest😁

Andrew

• Thanks 1

More done, I think this as far as I can go now, need start the painting. 

62 ton trailer

62 ton trailer

62 ton trailer

62 ton trailer

62 ton trailer

62 ton trailer

No diagonal brace on spare wheel crane, on box art though 

62 ton trailer

62 ton trailer

All the sub assemblies done, just the very small handles and lights still on sprues 

62 ton trailer

trying to find these, another instruction glitch lol

Another couple of bit’s spotted, No spare wheel for the Commander, mounts on top of Trailer gooseneck, and the front bumper mounted tow bar has only one eye at one end, no idea how they managed that 🤔

Cheers Everyone 

Mark

• Like 9

1 hour ago, APA said:

Be still my beating heart!! Where has this been all my life? She would look very nice next to my Pioneer Transporter.

Really good start Mark. I will watch with great interest😁

Andrew

Cheers Andrew, you could put your pioneer on this, being taken to a museum type dio 👍👍

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 10/20/2023 at 10:24 PM, mbthejester said:

Cheers Andrew, you could put your pioneer on this, being taken to a museum type dio 👍👍

😂 Well it would save on shelf space 👍

Andrew 

• Like 1

Cheers Darryl, will be back on it on my next set of rest days, have contacted Hobby Boss about missing/never included parts, they want $20 per sprue, not paying that just for a tow bar to cut in half to join to my one to make complete, or whole sprue for one wheel  etc, be around £50 plus post. 

will see what I can come up with 👍

cheers

Mark

Edited by mbthejester
  • Like 1

More done, two coats of Grey primer, then on heavier wear areas another coat in Black, then used Hataka IRR Green Lacquer, not to shabby at all, the Black just shows in some parts, hoping that replicates wear, used nearly the whole pot, few gaps to touch in and couple rough bits to sand and touch up, not many if any ref pics to show usual wear etc. 

1/35 Scammell Commander

1/35 Scammell Commander

1/35 Scammell Commander

1/35 Scammell Commander

1/35 Scammell Commander

1/35 Scammell Commander

1/35 Scammell Commander

Might have been a better idea to paint the chassis before assembly some tricky bits to get at assembled 

cheers

Mark

Edited by mbthejester
  • Like 8

Okie Dokes,

another problem, the ramps do not fit ! This popped in my head last night, all down to the way manufacturing/instructions 

1/35 Scammell Commander

1/35 Scammell Commander

bottom pic is how instructions say it goes, it will not fit, brackets for ramp are bent in, and no room to fit the bar end support,  this is actually wrong anyway, ramp bracket part N2 should be on the other side of the bar, this allows the ramp to move inwards for smaller vehicles, however because of the way B25 is made you cannot fit N2 on it in the right place, not without cutting something at least, so be mindful everyone 👍 not readily obvious whats wrong. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Ramp solution

cut the bar at each end closest to the number plate, open up the bracket holes by 0.1 mm holes were 2.1, use a thin bar - metal paint stirrer and put at back of bar and twist slowly slide bracket on remove bar and cement end up, jobs a good un 👍

1/35 Scammell Commander

1/35 Scammell Commander

hope this helps someone else 👍👍

Cheers

Mark

Edited by mbthejester
  • Like 10