Aviation trivia quiz - just a bit of fun

pigsty

51 minutes ago, pigsty said:

Yes please!

OK!

The picture was the Abrams P-1 Explorer, a purpose-built aerial photography and survey aircraft from 1937

New question then, following on from the Pemberton-Billing/Supermarine one. Imagine Pemberton-Billing lost his bet with Handley Page, never starts his aircraft company, and Supermarine never happens. So there would have been no Supermarine aircraft in the 1931 Schneider Trophy race, famously won by the S.6B. This had me wondering what would have won if it weren't for the Supermarine aircraft in the race.

So my question is, in the 1931 Schneider Trophy race, what was the first non-Supermarine aircraft to finish?

On 18/11/2023 at 23:54, zebra said:

A picture question then - name the aircraft:

Abrams_Explorer_3-view_L'Aerophile_March

Abrams P-1 Explorer

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Abrams_P-1_Explorer

Sorry. Time to find the reference and ...too late.

I had been mislead by that one :

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/De_Schelde_S.21

Edited by AV O

32 minutes ago, zebra said:

So my question is, in the 1931 Schneider Trophy race, what was the first non-Supermarine aircraft to finish?

When the French and Italian teams dropped out, leaving no other competitors, the British team flew the course alone on 13 September and won the coveted Schneider Trophy outright, having beaten the time record from the 1929 competition. 

https://www.wikiwand.com/en/Schneider_Trophy

1 minute ago, stever219 said:

Woomera.

I guess it is, given it had two engines, but I hadn't thought of that! Also it was the only one of the four that wasn't a trainer, and the only one that didn't enter service.

So the Woomera is clearly the odd one out. But not the one I had in mind! That was the Wackett - named after the boss of the company, whilst the other three had names that came from Aboriginal words.

Over to you @stever219 for some hopefully more competent question-setting than mine!

2 hours ago, zebra said:

I guess it is, given it had two engines, but I hadn't thought of that! Also it was the only one of the four that wasn't a trainer, and the only one that didn't enter service.

So the Woomera is clearly the odd one out. But not the one I had in mind! That was the Wackett - named after the boss of the company, whilst the other three had names that came from Aboriginal words.

Over to you @stever219 for some hopefully more competent question-setting than mine!

Thanks @zebra.  I honestly thought that the Woomera was, at best, a paper project.  As for competent question setting your hope is welcome but perhaps misplaced.  However here goes:  

From which airfield did 2, 3, 4 and 6 Squarons of the RFC initially fly from England to France near the sart of World War 1 as the first elements of the Air Component?

6 hours ago, AV O said:

On 13 August 1914, 2, 3, and 4 squadrons, comprising 60 machines, departed from Dover for the British Expeditionary Force in France and 5 Squadron joined them a few days later. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Royal_Flying_Corps

Please,  @stever219,   carry on...

@AV OThe memorial plaque on the site of the former aerodrome stated 2, 3, 4 and 6 Squadrons when last I saw it, but that was too many years ago.

Yes, Dover is close enough for government work; Dover Swingate for the pedants among us, including me.

@AV O you have the ball, well done sir!

Here's a couple of suggestions for keeping this thread going.  First, try if you can not to embed images with their addresses still visible if you hover the cursor over them.  Second, apart from that there's no problem setting a question if the answer's fairly easy to look up.  But not too easy!  Last, the playing method is, if you get the answer right, you set the next question - so it's best to have one ready.  If you know the answer but you can't set one yourself, you could let someone else have a try and then see if you agree with them.

Right, then, as I have a few ready, I'll take the load off @stever219.  Next question is:  which British civil aircraft was the link between itself and three others being destroyed over a seven-year period?

1 hour ago, pigsty said:

As in Trident?  No, but very, very warm.

Papa Yankee if you're looking for the first loss in sequence then?

Trident 1C G-ARPY Lost 3/6/66 due to superstall

Trident 1C G-ARPI Lost 18/6/72, also due to superstall

Trident 1C G-ARPI tail cut off by crashing Airspeed Ambasador G-AMAD 2/7/68 following assymetric flap failure while landing at LHR, Trident 1C G-ARPT was cut in half by the Ambassador wing subsequently scrapped, 'PI was repaired and resumed service before being lost as above

4 hull losses inside a 7 year period with links between losses.

Alternatively, if the link is just Trident 1C's, above 3 plus G-ARPS lost 29/7/69 due to a cabin fire at LHR?

• Like 1